Looking for first new real racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Cheeseitz, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Cheeseitz

Cheeseitz Regular Member

Student
    Well I'm a jr in high school now and I posted here many months ago looking for tips. I was the one who switched from tennis(varsity) to badminton and now the season is a couple months away and I'm practicing as much as I can. For now I can only play on Saturdays because of certain time restrictions but I learn kinda fast since I have experience with net sports. Once the season picks up I can play more though.

I've been using an old racket of my friend for Saturday practices with my assistant coach; I think it's a TI Power racket. I searched it up and see that it is only $25. If I switch to a better one, how much will it affect me? I've been purposely using a bad racket and then I will switch to a decent one after developing the basics.

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    Only Saturdays for now, later on weekdays and saturday
    2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    I like to clear/ drop, drop/ clear
    3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    50/50, if you know what I mean. I can't spend too much on the racket but it still needs to be decent
    4. How much money do you want to spend?
    Around 80$ or lower

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Do you play more singles or doubles? From your description I'd guess singles? Don't like to smash? More control?

3. Cheeseitz

Cheeseitz Regular Member

Student
    Nah I play doubles and I like smashing but I just don't do it well enough compared to clear + drops

4. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    Maybe list which rackets in your price range you're considering.

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) Where in US are you?
    2) Can you demo or borrow someone's racquet to try?
    3) Care if it is used?

6. druss

druss Regular Member

No offense but doubles is a power game, typically the first team to get on the offensive (smashing) wins. This is not always true but is the goal for most teams.

If you're having troubles with smashing it may be the racket, look for something that is well rounded that may help you improve your smashes.

7. Easy Tiger

Bum
    For beginners and intermediates it's not.

At all.

8. druss

druss Regular Member

If he plans on playing on his high school team competitively then it is, at least it was at my high school.

It's true at any level in any sport, assuming skill levels are relatively close, the team/person to go on the offensive first wins the point most often.

9. Easy Tiger

Bum
    You said -

"doubles is a power game, typically the first team to get on the offensive (smashing) wins"

Offensive doesn't always mean smashing, it means exploiting an opportunity when it presents itself. It's only a 'power' game if that's your style.....heck I've played doubles against guys with almost no smash ability to speak off but their touch game, they way they create angles....were devastating.

I think you're doing Cheese a disservice telling him "it's all about offensive power" because it's not.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

I'm not trying to put down drop shots or other offensive shots, which make the opposing team have to lift the shuttle. What I'm saying is that in general, doubles is won by the team which is more offensive and smashing is the best IMO weapon for offensive play. It puts the other team on the defensive, you almost have to lift or risk having the net person get a kill and puts pressure on the defensive team.

Show me one good doubles team, high school to international, that does not have a good smash as a major part of their offense.

I think you're doing a disservice as well arguing against smashing. Sure there are other weapons but not as effective, again my opinion, as a powerful smash.

11. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Smashing is only half the offensive equation, so you'd be an idiot to buy a racket that favours offensive play at the expense of speed and/or defense....and double the idiot if a newish player to the game came to you specifically saying that smashing was not their strong suite, and you recommended something like an AT7OO.

Smashing is just not that important at the level Cheese is telling us he is at. You're much better off having a well rounded racket that's going to help develop overall skills.

12. druss

druss Regular Member

I think you should read all my posts before going off....

13. Cheeseitz

Cheeseitz Regular Member

Student
    I'll look at the APACs rackets and compare them on dinkalot's chart

Probably a well-rounded racket then

14. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    dinks chart is only his view on them. You should get your own view by testing them. where do you play at on saturdays? bintang?

15. Easy Tiger

Bum
    Apacs are gunna probbaly provide you with better value for money at your pricepoint I reckon. Even Dross would probably agree with that.

16. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    I've had trouble finding apacs in local stores and as for online buying, I've seen that only that one ebay seller that sells cheap apacs. The other store online was from canada and buying the racket along with shipping was just as much as any other brand.

If you do live in the bay area you can get the hl ben lee 8800 at Asbys. its a great racket thats only about 90$ but has the punch of most 130$ I know many players thats moved on to more expensive rackets but keep the ben lee as a back up or still play with it from time to time. I as well am trying to save enough money for one.

17. druss

druss Regular Member

easy there tiger, if you're going to use someones name please spell it correctly.

I do have some apacs rackets and they are good value for the money. I also can't see how shipping could be that much ($15 to $20)? and when you say "any other brand" what brand and models are you talking about?

In order to make any apacs racket the same price as my arc10 the shipping would have to be $100.

18. Cheeseitz

Cheeseitz Regular Member

Student
    just got an Arc Saber 7 for $130 flat, discounted a bit I guess. It's a world of difference between my old ti power, every hit has more power now and in general it just feels better