The build up to the game...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by UkPlayer, Nov 10, 2002.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I'd like to know how other players feel before going on court in a tournament or big game? Are you relaxed? Focused? Panicky?

At the moment I'm trying to work on how to relax before a game.

Does anyone have any techniques that puts them in the right frame of mind for badminton?

Mental preperation has been brought up on this forum before, but I haven't seen this subject in depth and I'd really like to know what makes you relaxed and focused before a game if you can do it.

Do you meditate?
    Listen to music?
    Run around and stretch?
    Talk to other players?

Or does anyone have any other secrets they'd like to share? Like Accupuncture or Relaxing through smells? Massage? Or is there a particular piece of music that gets you in the mood?

2. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    UKP,

I know how your feeling, i used to be bad with nerves but because i have played so many major tournaments i can deal with them. The main thing is, your out there to play your best, dont worry about your opponent at all. When i first walk out there, i walk over to the court, put my towel down, a wet towel (if the floor is dirty), my drink and grip powder. The next thing i do is just knock up, this is where you focus, look at their weaknesses and concentrate on your breathing patterns. If your nervous as soon as you get on, no way you going to get focused. Just before you start to play, walk off to the side, take a deep breath and then come back on court. Take your time to get prepared, dont worry about your opponent.
    If you come against a good player, chances are you are going to get a lesson, so see it as a learning curve. Try your best and thens ee where your weaknesses lie. I'm generally not nervous, but when i see a good player i do get a little. The main thing is to be out there and enjoy yourself, after all you are playing the game you love.
    As for relazing before, i tend to put on my favourite songs. I happen to be a garage man (music wise) and i feel that the fast pace of the music gets me in the mood to go out there. And it works, for me anyway. Last march in the national finals, i came 5th without losing a game in the qualifiers or the finals!
    At the end of the day, there is no NEED to be nervous. Ok, its easier said than done, but during the game, instead of getting nervous, concentrate on geting to a certain point. Say tou yourself 'Ok, lets get to 7 now' and when you do, set yourself a goal of maybe 10 or 11. I may be beatin around the bush with this, but it does tend to help me.

Regards,
    Matt

3. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Nervousness has never been a problem with me--I'm actually too relaxed. I'm one of those who has to psyche himself up, so I am up and active prior to the match.

4. Xero

Xero Regular Member

Umm... Love the game

I think ppl on this forum love the game of badminton like soccer players love soccer...
    if you would like my opinion.. I just love to play the game.. and when I am in the tourny.. I used to care about who watches me and stuff.. but now I like to hear ppl cheer for me.. or for the other person.. at least I know ppl are watching..

Just be like normal.. or warm up.. until you game is like called then just relax.. remember a tournament is a time to show your skills and what you can do.. try to play your best and forget everything..

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Ideally you should not think about winning or losing, not prejudging the outcome, simply concentrating on the moment. Concentrate on the performance, a couple of key tactics perhaps which you need to execute during the game.

Always carry out the same warm up, whether in training or for a final, and this warm up should include mental preparation. Go into the arena early, sample the atmosphere and the initial nerves and then quietly compose yourself.

Knocking up focus very hard on the shuttle, on striking the shuttle and moving, so you are not distracted by the crowd / opponents.

Prepare the same for every opponent, underestimating an opponent is dangerous because once you have gone on expecting to win even losing three points can be hard to mentally recover from, equally do not expect to lose, simply play the game as it comes.