Annoyance - passing the shuttle

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by marmoset, Nov 15, 2009.

1. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

At the clubs that i play at, i don't see this happen but over the past couple of weeks i have played with 2 players that have a really annoying habit. When the shuttle has landed on their side of the net and they are clearly a lot closer to it, rather than making sure that it gets back somewhere close to me, they either just sweep it under the net making me have to walk a few steps and fetch it or they try some clever stuff like flicking it up and it lands nowhere near me.

Rather than apologising for doing so or even trying to make sure it doesn't happen again, they do it repeatedly and each time they just look away after their 'attempt' to give the shuttle back. This is SO RUDE!! Whenever i pass the shuttle back, i make sure that it's right at or within easy catching distance of the person.

Normally i am quite a relaxed person but when this happens time after time, i do get rather annoyed. I did mention it tactfully during a game of doubles to one of these offenders the other day, who happens to be a friend, the other day. Luckily he is good humoured and won't get annoyed if i tell him off in a joking way in the future.

Why can't some people see that passing the shuttle properly in the first place is good etiquette? If someone next to you at the table asks for the salt would they throw it to the other end of the table and then look down and carry on happily munching into their dinner?

Sorry for the rant!!! :crying:

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    hmm i dont see it as a really big deal. You won the point so nothing too complain about. If anything walking a few steps to pick up the shuttle gives you a few more seconds break and a chance to settle yourself.

As long as they dont just push it like 5 cm or pick it up and hit it to the end of the court a large distance away from you i dont see it as that big of a deal lol.

Just win the next point and make them keep paying!

3. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

I don't see that is a big deal either. Remember, this is amateur play, even when they try to return the shuttle close to you, it might still land a few steps away :D. Watch the pros, they also return the shuttle by sweeping under the nets.

Now, what is annoying to me is some players would not return the shuttle even though they have lost the point and standing closer to the shuttle. :mad:

Another annoyance when watching the pros is the winners would not pick up the shuttle even though they are standing a step from it. Instead they wait for the opponent to walk across the court to return the shuttle. I know it is a strategy to waste your opponent energy, but still :mad:

4. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    i think fan888 ideas is a little bit off, the pros just want to have a little more time for the rest within each pressured rallies. And yet, maybe. they just want to piss off the opponent.

5. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    well that's just your desserts for beating him....so deal with it.

ok just kidding...just show him you mean it by refusing to pick the shuttle. (if he's really pissing you off that bad)

6. marmoset

marmoset Regular Member

I normally don't let emotions rule the way that i act on court; i'm far too busy reacting to the play or preparing myself for the next point. I really do feel that it is good etiquette, whether having won or lost the point, for the nearest player to the shuttle to ensure that it gets back to the vicinity of the server. I don't mind the shuttle being swept under the net but some people only managed to move it a couple of feet, nowhere near the server.

7. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    At least they're not kicking the shuttle under the net ... I've had that happen. And people who swing wildly at the shuttle at full force to pass it back and then risk damaging the shuttle, when a simple tap would do, they tick me off too.

8. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-
    i empathize with you. a very similar situation happens to me. there's a (well the only way i can describe him is-) really twitchy guy at my club. when he passes the shuttle it too feels 'twitchy' - it's off pace and the wrong height. after i win a point, i walk up to pick up the shuttle but this guy comes along and totally knocks it 5ft behind me and like 1 foot high so i can't even catch it in the air (not that i'd want to go through the effort catching something moving that fast anyways)

but it's really really annoying!!
    learn some manners PLEASE

if you're gonna be a baby about losing, don't challenge me in the first place haha

9. tony531

tony531 Regular Member

i think this the way it should be. if you lose the point, then know your place and pass the shuttle to your opponent.

and 2ndly, who the hell cares anyways? -.-... its just passing a shuttle, if you already get frustrated by that, you've got a long way to go... -.-

10. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

?

If you're closer to the shuttle, you pass it over, simply to keep playing fluidly... what does it matter whether you won or lost?

I have a guy here who keeps running at *every* shuttle lying on the floor, even if he has to stretch himself under the net to get at it and I'm just a step away from it. Very annoying.

11. skuo2003

skuo2003 Regular Member

I would be annoyed too... It's general etiquette, when passing the shuttle to someone, to actually hit it at them, and not into the net or somewhere where they aren't, etc. All I can say is you can either approach him about it (which is probably what I would do) in a polite manner or tell someone who knows him better to tell him about it.

At least he actually passes the shuttle when he loses a point, though. I know people who don't even do that.

12. Nightbird

Nightbird Regular Member

I agree it is a bit annoying but don't let it bother you to an extent that it starts affecting ur game or personal relationships.
    I have forgotten to pass the shuttle at times to my opponents as I would still be reminiscing about the point lost and in the process forgot to do that.
    It really is no biggie-so get over it and focus on ur game instead..
    World is not an ideal place after all!!

13. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Amen!

That is funny :)

14. Gojin Kai

Gojin Kai Regular Member

None
    I always try my best to catch/throw the shuttle correctly. As you said, etiquette. But you must realise by now, that not everyone has etiquette and just can't be arsed or enjoys peeing people off. So either tell him to stop it straight on or wait until he passes the shuttle properly.

But don't get annoyed, it shortens your life D: