Tony's "partner"

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Nov 11, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is an excerpt from the USAB board of director meeting minutes that was held in Spring 2002 ("Don" is the USAB president):

"Even though the last two years have been rough for K&D Graphics, Don noted he is not a quitter. He is continuing to work for USAB success. He has brought Tony Gunawan to the ONTC and is trying to get his partner to join him. Bob Malaythong will be partnering with Tony for the short term. "

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Interesting...I thought that Tony's intent was to further his studies as well to stay close to gf (wife).

If Don Chew can get Wijaya over, I wondered if the PBSI will allow them to play in any International tourneys representing the US.

Maybe Don might be better off getting some of the Chinese players who have "retired" to play for their provinces.

3. modious

modious Regular Member

I wonder if they're trying to bring in Halim Haryanto or Candra Wijaya? I think it's Halim.
    Anyway, I doubt PBSI will allow them to play in Tournaments though.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yup. those are the two questions i was wondering too.

1. although the official line is that Tony is here to study and coach the US team on the side. what is actually happening doesn't quite fit what was said. perhaps either Tony, or may be USAB had a different idea all along? what do you get from the tone of the minute? it is ambigious enough that it can go either way, "brought Tony to ONTC" to coach, or to play? and if coach, why do they need Tony's partner as well? and Bob? why is he partnering his supposedly "coach"?

2. who's Tony's partner? my believe is Halim. Candra is playing with Sigit.

5. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    The "partner" USAB was considering was Halim. I think PBSI was taken by surprise when tony appeared in big tournaments partnered with Malaythong, I am sure now that if any top Indo players want to leave for america, PBSI will automatically think that he will try to play for USAB. The future for indonesian players to move to america to play should be a lot tougher now. Personally i do not blame PBSI for trying to ban tony after the Sing open, i think USAB went behind PBSI's back to acquire tony in hopes to bring USAB into the spotlight of world badminton.

6. Xero

Xero Regular Member

BAN??

umm.. there is one thing I don't understand.. How come the PSBI and place bans on players when they leave the country.. I mean.. is there like a contract or something signed to give them the ability to do that??

If Gunawan get another like Asain Player.. this will really raise US' reputation in Badminton.. but shouldn't they at least try to train some of their own players??

7. smashguru

smashguru Regular Member

CTO
    I think that USAB's motives are always unclear. For the past several years our US team has posted good results in North American tourneys. However, I think that if the USAB's goal or should we say "next purchase" will be another foreigner. I think that we should not call them the US team. A good name would be "USAB Out of Retirement team". I think that Tony shows good examples to future players in the US and it also boosts Malaythong's world ranking and experience. I think that the USAB has other plans for Malaythong. But, as for our current men's doubles team of Howard and Kevin. I think that relationship or partnership will not last till the next Olympic Games.

I just hope that the USAB's decision would really boost the confidence of our future Olympians and not cloud them with politics within.:D

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: BAN??

i am sure they are trying. but it is not something that can be done overnight. and from the look of the current US juniors, i think we need to wait a few more years. :(

"buying" renowned players from a foreign country is the quickest path. although i believe a lot of us won't agree with it.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting point. i believe the weaker player of the Bach/Han pair is Kevin. i find that he lacks in power and quicknessto play high level doubles. i saw Malaythong play in a local tournament a couple of years ago, and i saw him play again this year, if he continues to improve at the same pace, he will be at Howard's level soon. and not to say, he is around erm... 10+ yrs younger than Kevin Han? if we disregard Gunawan as a "foreigner", then the potential pairing of Bach+Malaythong will be the strongest that US has to offer in the near future. and yes, both of them are home brew.

10. smashguru

smashguru Regular Member

CTO
    Very true, I think that the initial plan was to pair Howard and Bob together in the near future. However, his US citizenship papers are still in the works. I am sure that pairing those 2 together will be the one best teams to watch play in international tournaments. But, I have seen both of them grown up and mature and I strongly believe that their pairing will be a very good move for US badminton. Also, the US has to develop their singles players also. Man, up to this time. Nobody has questioned kevin's dominance in singles. I think that the only player to get to Kevin's caliber in singles was Andy Chong. Hopefully, USAB finds the time to get this kids rollin on singles. They need it!!!!;)

11. wira

wira Regular Member

Hi Smashguru,

What makes you say that?

12. smashguru

smashguru Regular Member

CTO
    Believe me, as I have known these 2 athletes personally for over 10 years. I know what is brewing within. You don't see that in the outside. But, inside you just don't know.

13. wira

wira Regular Member

But I mean, why would they not stick together?
    Is their relationship that bad?

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, i wouldn't go so far as saying that they will be "the one best teams", but they will certainly give the best their run for their money.

i agree with you. the level of US's singles is rather poor. just look at it this way, as you said, the only person who matches Kevin Han is Andy Chong, an ex-Malaysian player who prime was the last 80s and early 90s. neither of them will any chance against the other top countries' players. let's hope US will brew some better players soon.