User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- No problem. Glad to provide some "noise" in the ABC sub-forum..
    + Thanks.

- On the round robin group play, i was thinking last night, how about if you guys allow all the teams to play against each other. Meaning, if there are 12 teams, all 12 teams will play against each other and there won't be any Qualification or Final Rd. (just so all the teams get to play against each other). In the end, there will be 1 team with a 11-0 and 1 team w/a 0-11 record..

+ It will back to the same issue as we mentioned earlier: courts availability and time.

- I know this probably has been brought up or mentioned, but for this particular tournament, i know it's quite tough to match all the groups' level/players; some teams are, overall, stronger than the others. Will you apply some kind of "equal level" of playing field in the future (meaning each group will have A, B, C, D or E level players/pairs)?

+ It is very difficult to categorize a player, since we do not have standard ranking systems. I do not think subjective opinion will be fair to level out a player.

- Wow. If there's a sponsor willing to give a prize money in the next edition, then i'm pretty much sure a lot of "very good players" will participate. It'll be like a mini-Summersmash or Wintersmash. I mean the level of competition will be even greater than this edition.
    Will the participants pay an additional fee to play? I could imagine the "not so good players" will think thrice abt joining again..

+ This is another discussion we had on dinner time after the final match last week with some teams leaders. If we begin to give $$$, the event will not be "friendly" and "entertaining" to good, but non-professional players. It will become championship event, instead of "friendly" event. Therefore, we are still planning, if we rather give away "surprise gift", which every player can use and be proud of to wear, because it shows if he/ she belonged to a winning team :-), instead of merely $$$.
    Another issue with $$$, how much is too little and how much is too much? Remember, this is a team event.

Note: Photo Gallery of the event is now available. You have to be a registered member to view the images.

Thank you,
    Birdievent.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by pramana View Post
    + It is very difficult to categorize a player, since we do not have standard ranking systems. I do not think subjective opinion will be fair to level out a player.

+ This is another discussion we had on dinner time after the final match last week with some teams leaders. If we begin to give $$$, the event will not be "friendly" and "entertaining" to good, but non-professional players. It will become championship event, instead of "friendly" event. Therefore, we are still planning, if we rather give away "surprise gift", which every player can use and be proud of to wear, because it shows if he/ she belonged to a winning team :-), instead of merely $$$.
    Another issue with $$$, how much is too little and how much is too much? Remember, this is a team event.
    - I understand abt the challenge of ranking/categorizing players to different level(s). Then, if that's the case, most likely there will be teams which are very strong and teams which are not so strong, again, in the future.
    - In the future, would you consider limiting the number of teams competing, knowing court availability and time will be tight. That way, rather than having a QF Rd. and Final Rd., every team will be able to play against each other, at least, once. Consider also, summer time tournament will be even tougher as the weather will be in the 90s or even 100s.
    - I was thinking perhaps the idea of giving some kind of prize money incentives would entice more players who were reluctant to join.
    - I also heard from a few other ABC regular players that they never heard abt this tourney. Was it mentioned or announced @ ABC? Maybe a simple banner or poster announcing the event will help?
    - I noticed there were a few teams who even asked coaches to join. Will there be different rules applied the next time on allowing coaches to compete?
    - I also notice there are a couple of teams which split into Team A & Team B. But on the Finals Rd. day, some players from Team A were replaced with some players from Team B. Rather than doing so, i was thinking let all the teams play against each other; make it a round robin team tournament.
    - As for the amt of "too little" or "too much" prize money, how about starting with $500? I think that's a pretty good & reasonable sum to gather. If a team has & wins with only 10 players, then each player gets $50 each. If a team has & wins with 15 players, then each player gets less.
    The thing i'm wondering if there's a prize money offered is, if this is still an "open to every level of players" event, really good players will form a team and will have a really powerful team. At the end, there will be only a handful of teams competing, maybe even less than 5 teams. Imagine all the OCBC junior players competing and forming a team.
    - I have a feeling, this tourney will be even more competitive (and perhaps less friendly), with or without prize money, for the next edition. It could be a good thing or could not. I think teams will be gearing up even more better and will "hire" better players to compete.
    Not so good players will look at the other teams & will wonder how they'll fare. On the other hand, other very good teams will also "lower" their standard of play & probably won't be interested in playing.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 12-15-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about any of you, but how about getting shirts for the participants or a keepsake of sorts and then donate the rest to a charitable foundation. It doesn't have to be donated to the same recipient. What do you guys think of that idea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- I understand abt the challenge of ranking/categorizing players to different level(s). Then, if that's the case, most likely there will be teams which are very strong and teams which are not so strong, again, in the future.

+ That is always the case in every sport. We see in almost every season of NFL, NBA, NHL and all other sports. There is no exception in our event.

- In the future, would you consider limiting the number of teams competing, knowing court availability and time will be tight. That way, rather than having a QF Rd. and Final Rd., every team will be able to play against each other, at least, once. Consider also, summer time tournament will be even tougher as the weather will be in the 90s or even 100s.

+ The comfort level is 12 teams. However, if we can gather more and ABC allows us to acquire more courts, I may be looking for 16, 18 or even 20 teams to compete. Of course there is consideration of time, which we may have to play this event for more than two days if there are more teams participating.

- I was thinking perhaps the idea of giving some kind of prize money incentives would entice more players who were reluctant to join.

+ Like I mentioned earlier, $$$ is very bias. How much is too little and how much is too much. You have to remember, it is a team event and will be played for more than one day.

- I also heard from a few other ABC regular players that they never heard abt this tourney. Was it mentioned or announced @ ABC? Maybe a simple banner or poster announcing the event will help?

+ Well, it was very difficult to measure the spread of news among the members. Even though you received the non-heard feedback, I received high inquires of teams participation and players of this event, which I finally asked team leaders to consolidate and re-group into 12 competitive teams.

- I noticed there were a few teams who even asked coaches to join. Will there be different rules applied the next time on allowing coaches to compete?

+ We did not expect the event would be so competitive. We would not mind to let coaches to play. Isn't it great to see coaches showed their skills, endurance and talents to all of us?

- I also notice there are a couple of teams which split into Team A & Team B. But on the Finals Rd. day, some players from Team A were replaced with some players from Team B. Rather than doing so, i was thinking let all the teams play against each other; make it a round robin team tournament.

+ Some players could not play on the following week for personal reasons. Therefore, we allowed them to re-group and consolidate their teams to continue the event. Of course, we asked team leaders to announce their changes by re-registering their teams online for members and public reviews.

- As for the amt of "too little" or "too much" prize money, how about starting with $500? I think that's a pretty good & reasonable sum to gather. If a team has & wins with only 10 players, then each player gets $50 each. If a team has & wins with 15 players, then each player gets less.
    The thing i'm wondering if there's a prize money offered is, if this is still an "open to every level of players" event, really good players will form a team and will have a really powerful team. At the end, there will be only a handful of teams competing, maybe even less than 5 teams. Imagine all the OCBC junior players competing and forming a team.

+ It is difficult to say $500 is good and $1000 is too much. We have to discuss this matter deeper, before announcing the next event.

- I have a feeling, this tourney will be even more competitive (and perhaps less friendly), with or without prize money, for the next edition. It could be a good thing or could not. I think teams will be gearing up even more better and will "hire" better players to compete.
    Not so good players will look at the other teams & will wonder how they'll fare. On the other hand, other very good teams will also "lower" their standard of play & probably won't be interested in playing.

+ We have the same impression after watching the matches. Let's see how it will measure on the 2nd event.

Thank you,
    Birdievent.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by y'oinks! View Post
    I don't know about any of you, but how about getting shirts for the participants or a keepsake of sorts and then donate the rest to a charitable foundation. It doesn't have to be donated to the same recipient. What do you guys think of that idea?
    That is a good idea. We will discuss it on the next meeting for the 2nd event.

Thanks,
    Birdievent.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hmm..

+ That is always the case in every sport. We see in almost every season of NFL, NBA, NHL and all other sports. There is no exception in our event.

+ The comfort level is 12 teams. However, if we can gather more and ABC allows us to acquire more courts, I may be looking for 16, 18 or even 20 teams to compete. Of course there is consideration of time, which we may have to play this event for more than two days if there are more teams participating.

+ Like I mentioned earlier, $$$ is very bias. How much is too little and how much is too much. You have to remember, it is a team event and will be played for more than one day.

+ Well, it was very difficult to measure the spread of news among the members. Even though you received the non-heard feedback, I received high inquires of teams participation and players of this event, which I finally asked team leaders to consolidate and re-group into 12 competitive teams.

+ We did not expect the event would be so competitive. We would not mind to let coaches to play. Isn't it great to see coaches showed their skills, endurance and talents to all of us?

+ It is difficult to say $500 is good and $1000 is too much. We have to discuss this matter deeper, before announcing the next event.
    - There's a difference, imo. Those are pro sports, where (a lot of) money is involved & at stake. This, i thought, is supposed to be a "friendly" tournament??..It turned out, some teams are stronger (have more better players) than the others..
    - I thought abt the possibility of seeing even more teams in the future. How would that pan out, schedule and court availability wise??. That's a different challenge altogether.
    - What do you mean by "$$ is very bias"??..you mean, each person has a different opinion on what is a reasonable amt?
    - So, the news wasn't really spread throughout the club? I recall, originally there were only 6 or 8 teams which signed up? But then you received a rush of new participants/teams as the deadline drew near?..
    - So, if we allow coaches to play, does that mean we can invite Halim H. and/or Tony G. or any of the coaches to join or play?
    - For the amt of prize money, i was thinking, what is the easiest and most affordable way to garner it; which amt is easier to get, $500 or $1000? If $500 or even $1000 is not difficult to collect, then go for it. But if those are too much, then we go for the amt that is easiest & most affordable to come up with. If it requires participants to chip in a few $$ in order to play (and come up with the prize money), then so be it.
    Anyway, we'll let you figure that out..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 12-15-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but I can't help it. I was thinking that maybe we can make the tournament into an signature Arcadia Badminton Club event. I can imagine many local businesses chipping in to sponsor in various ways by donations, drinks/snacks, shuttles, keepsakes, etc... Of course, using the tournament fees to help pay for incentives is always a viable idea. I'm pretty sure the local paper and other media outlets would love to cover the tournament in with their news also. I'm picturing this as feel good friendly tournament still, much as this first one was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking that next tournament, in order to encourage both man and women to participate, perhaps require 1 mix double team so ladies can play as well.

i regret that i have to take my lady off my team for the next round due to higher level of competition.

Another thought is that. I actually feel that the order of the play can actually determine the outcome of the team match.

The final game for our team ( after 2-2 tie) has actually gone to the rubber set. if we would of won that set. LA and us would both be 4-1 and we will be holding the tie break. How to position the match can be crucial when you do not have strength throughtout your 5 pairs.

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey rudy

If you are going to have 3 brackets next time, learning from this tournament. would you consider putting the top 3 teams from this tournament into separate bracket as seeded team so they won't clash the first round?

Also, just want to reply from previous questions
    t shirt does not apply to our team since we already have uniform
    And just to be clear, as team leader, i did not ask coaches to join, but due to the excitment and format for this tournament, coaches actually has interest to participate and would like to join
    Other teams put coaches on when they see the competition is too strong.

Andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Video

Sorry about the long wait for the videos:Part I Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ATs0Hccqcc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy:

Yes, it is a good idea to let every team to have 1 pair of mixed-double. I think the mixed-double must play on the 3rd match to be fair. We will discuss it on the next meeting prior to the announcement of the event.

We also received suggestion to have 12 person per team (2 reserved) maximum, so there will be no "re-grouping" after the qualification rounds.

Regarding to brackets, we can put the best 3 teams from recent results on separate brackets, however I believe these teams will re-group anyway, which their strength and teams composition will be different, especially the idea to add mixed-double in the team.

Thank you,
    Birdievent.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So..

Andy:

Yes, it is a good idea to let every team to have 1 pair of mixed-double. I think the mixed-double must play on the 3rd match to be fair. We will discuss it on the next meeting prior to the announcement of the event.
    ..will this be one of the compulsory matches in group play? If a team doesn't have a mixed doubles pair, then that team can't compete? or the team can still compete but will have to forfeit the XD match??..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 12-17-2009 at 03:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris:

We will discuss the mixed-double idea in the next meeting to see if other team leaders will like the concept, especially with the reserved players in consideration.
    Do we require two women in a team, which is one as reserved (possibility of injury) or only have one and gamble since men are more competitive and prone to injury?

We will talk to team leaders to get their feedback...

thanks,
    birdievent.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3