Serving Time

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by NoRice4U, Nov 17, 2009.

1. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    I had a query after playing a competition and social badminton. When i play in competitions i tend to hold the shuttle in preparation stance to serve and wait for a few seconds till opponent is ready, but in social people just say i take too long like 5 seconds, anyone mind answering that for me?

2. serviceover

serviceover Regular Member

Logistics
    There isn't a Law that say you must deliver the shuttle within a certain time, but if you see Law 9

" 9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service . . . . "

It can be seen to be taking Unfair Advantage by not delivering the shuttle when both are ready. Its an unwritten rule about 5 seconds.

In an umpired game, you would certainly be told to speed it up..

3. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Anyway i have another question about the rule about the waist height.
    The waist height is lowest rib but when the rule says
    9.1.5 the whole shuttle shall be below the server's waist at the instant of being hit by the server's racket. The waist shall be considered to be an imaginary like round the body, level with the lowest part of the server's bottom rib;

when it says that can the racquet be ON the Imaginary line or "... belows the server's waist"

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The racket can be anywhere; there's no rule limiting its position. However, it does need to be pointing in a downwards direction at the moment you hit the shuttle.