Using short and long serves in singles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Crimz, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    I just realized that during tournaments most advance players are using the short serve instead of the high serve. I find it irritating cause I am not able to attack. I would like to use the short serve as well to prevent my opponents from attacking me. However I find it abit difficult reacting and reaching the return of my service. How do I know when I am ready to use the short backhand serve?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Whatever serve you use, a good receiver will try to make life difficult for you. Tactically, your task is to assess early on which serve gets you better results.

Against a player with a very powerful smash, you have a strong incentive to at least try the low serve! On the other hand, against a player with a wide range of accurate, deceptive shorts at the net, you should think about serving high.

The best players, of course, are good in all areas; but you can still try to decide which type of serve plays to their greatest strength, and avoid it!

You may also find this page from my serving guide useful: singles serving tactics.

3. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    I have another question! After a short serve do I hop back to the middle or take a few steps back and then do a split drop? thanks for answering my questions btw. Just got knocked out from my singles tournament today. Got really pissed with my opponent's short serve and when I tried it against him it didnt really work out that well.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

After a low serve, you must immediately get ready and do a split drop. You don't have time to go anywhere, as your opponent will be hitting the shuttle right away.

If you are still moving when your opponent hits the shuttle, then he can easily wrong-foot you with a deceptive shot.

Make sure that, in singles, you are standing a little way back from the front service line when you serve.

5. Crimz

Crimz Regular Member

students
    Should I stand with one leg infront and one leg back? Or some I stand with both legs apart equally? I see different people doing both.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

For a backhand serve in singles, you should stand with your right foot forward (if you are a right-hander). I don't think I've ever seen a professional player deviate from this.

Any other foot position will make it difficult to cover the court. In particular, it will be too hard to reach your backhand rear corner.