When footworks does'nt makes it...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chubawamba, Nov 17, 2009.

1. chubawamba

chubawamba Regular Member

Student
    Firstly, im french so ill try to write the most correctly i can.

So, here's my problem :crying:
    I practice regularly my footworks so they are kinda good compared to those of my opponents.
    I also find that my technique is way better cause i can place the shuttle better than the others.
    So should i lost again people who has less good technique and especially footwork? I don't think so.

The problem is that in the game, im ALMOST always well placed in the court, i can reach the shuttle easily and its rare that im beat by a not good position. I can win but my oppenent will always do like 10-15 points or more and i know he should'nt do more than 5-10... I give a lot of points doing out clears by about 3 cm or doing shots that make the other able to make me in bad position... Should i play safer?

So, should i still work my footworks or should i try to get a better technique to try to have a best control on the shuttle?
    Also my coach told me that i had no trust on my shots, how could i work on the mental aspect of my game?

Thank you

2. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I'm not french, so i'll try to reply with something easy to understand.

If you have good footwork, and you're almost always well placed in the court, you should not worry about footwork too much. Continue practicing it, but it's not your biggest priority. I say ask your coach, he can give you the best advice at this point, assuming he is a good coach.

If you can always be in a good position, be more agressive. The best way to gain confidence and trust in your shots is to succeed. The only way to succeed is to try. So take more risks, don't play as safe as you do now. But don't forget your basic tactics.

So continue practicing footwork, but work more on technique. If your shots are consistently out by 3-5 cm, it may be time to increase the tension of your strings by a pound or so, which should help get more clears consistently in, and also give you more control on touch shots like drops and net play.

3. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    maybe your not losing to your opponent in fact your losing against yourself?

Most likely because you make mistake so your opponent beat you

4. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Ask someone to watch your game and mark down on a piece of paper every rally you lose, reason, your position, shot played against you etc etc.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you aim your clears higher, the shuttle will not go out so easily ;)

Better tactics can beat the opponent with better footwork. Tactics is not easily learned so quickly

6. chubawamba

Student
    Ok thanks you for yours advices ill try to work on that

7. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

If I understand you correctly, you seem to get frustrated because you lost to opponents who you think you should beat them.

You also seemed to suggest that you played a lot better when you are playing games with low scoring points, i.e. below 10 points(not sure if I got this right). This suggest that:

1. you are not consistent. You need to improve on your techniques.
    - Many players have this misconception- They think that if they can return/play a more fancy shot, they have better techniques. Thinking this way is alright but you must bear 1 thing in mind:

it doesn't matter how many variety of shots you can play when you are playing in a comfortable position, the only thing matters on court is how you out-maneuver your opponents and how well you respond in times when you are out of position. Think of it this way, it doesn't matter how many kind of shots you know how to play, if you can't use them in a real game, those kind of shots are as good as nothing.

Your opponents(who you think is bad and you can do better shots than him) might only know how to return the shuttles with only 2 simple strokes/techniques(example: drop and lift). If he can do this consistently in a real game(making the shuttle cross over the net) and make you made mistakes, then that's good enough to beat you cause you made more errors to give him points.
    So learning how to use your "techniques" in a real game/when you are under pressure is also a skill. If you can't do it in real game, you need more training to be consistent

2. Shuttle placement-It's not good enough just being able to return the shuttle over to the net. You have to hit it to the corners where you opponents find it hard to hit. Dont keep lifting shuttle to backcourt if he is already at the back. Do net shot and make him run...I am sure you can work this(what you call tactic with your coach). If you keep hitting shuttle back to him/her and he made you run all around the court, you can guess who is most likely to win the game right? If this happened, The guy doesn't even need good footwork cause he doesn't even need to move while you are running like madman. If you can't control your shuttle to the place you wanted to hit in a real game, then you will (again) need more training to improve your shuttle placement.

3. Confidence- if you have better techniques, you should believe in yourself. When your confident is not high, you will make more errors. This is the mental side and only you can help yourself in it(not even your coach). You must find a way to encourage yourself when things doesn't go your way.

4. Instinct-You should know/read what your opponent is going to do by watching their movements. And knowing which shot to play during a rally is equally important. Example, You suppose to smash when your opponent lift a half court to you rather than lifting the shuttle back to him again. You must know when you can smash the shuttle/drop and when you should not. Ask your coach to work with you in setting a strategy in game. Those things are not easy but you will improve with time when you play more games.

5. Stamina- I think this is pretty straight forward. If you have poor stamina, chances are you will lose strength half way in your match and you cannot play a desired shot even you know how to.

Hope this will help.

#7 lcleing, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  8. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    The best thing about badminton is having good foot work and then comes skills.. will makes it perfect.. the rest will need to come with training and committment.

9. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

why don't you take a video of your own games or practice sessions with your mobile phone and dissect your form of play? i have seen a coach do this of his students' games and then analyse their strengths or weakness thereafter.

10. chubawamba

Student
    Yeah my coach will bring his camera next week he'll record me and ill try to see what is wrong

11. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    i agree with iccling? whatever his name is
    i think it's pretty much the consistency.

In badminton, footwork and consistency are the most 2 important things in the game.
    Then come down on to technique. And all other aspect I suppose.
    But yea if you have so many ways to hit it, but none of those can really get to the spot where u want, and at a sudden speed then pretty much useless.
    Well not totally useless but that just a waste of energy to hit the shot.
    And since if u have a coach already then why not just directly ask him to help you on ur weakness why even bother get the camera. Unless he's not a good coach to able to tell or help you to improve ur game.

12. Xushi

Xushi Regular Member

being a teen haha.
    if you need to improve your consistency, the best way to do it is by training half court singles.

13. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    You should always be train in full court if your playing singles, and do you have the basics pinned down? Like basic footwork dominated foot always in front when you hit the shuttle and learn how to recover? If not its worth spending lessons till you get that pinned that then you just forget about your coach totally