tennis serve lower body technique VS scissor kick

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by arturosauce, Nov 18, 2009.

1. arturosauce

arturosauce Regular Member

here i'm mainly talking about the use of the lower body.

i am not a kinesiologist, so i am curious as to which would produce more power in a badminton smash: the way tennis pros use their hips and legs during their serve, or a scissor kick?

if you watch a slow motion video of andy roddick on youtube, you'll see that he starts sideways and leads with his hips (and his body looks kind of like a bow), while at the same time he bends his knees pretty deep and his body leans into the hit and he jumps into his serve.

we should all know what the scissor kick is, but just in case, here it is.

on a side note, if the answer is tennis serve technique, then who would produce a faster smash: andy roddick using his tennis serve technique (of course with a badminton racket), or TBH and his jump smash like he did with the Arc-ZS?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Andy Roddick is not a serve and volleyer :)

Scissor kick should be better in tennis for getting to the net. I haven't watched tennis properly for a long time but Boris Becker did scissor kicks.

As to the power, speed generated in badminton shold be faster but I reckon the force, in Newtons, would not be as different as we might have expected on first glance.

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

If given sufficient time, I would get both feet behind the shuttle and jump inwards into the court to maximize power. This is basically the technique for the jump smash, except that you also jump up and inwards for that. Both legs might pull back and kick out simultaneously, but that's more to balance out the movement of the upper body.

The scissor kick is more a trick that allows the upper body to be moving forwards while the lower body moves back.

Also, seeing Andy's serve I have no doubt he'd have a killer overhead smash had he been a badminton player. Would it be stronger than any particular pro player? Maybe. Keep in mind that his arm power is elite among pro tennis players - that ability might transfer well to badminton.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    good question which i had addressed before in the jump smash vs regular scissor kick smash debate in another thread

for your specific question, i would say scissor style.
    tennis server like roddick style evolved that way due to 2 reasons which badminton doesn't need to adopt. That is 1 of several reason why badminton is better than tennis:p

in roddick case, he is kinda unique because his upper body is (bigger) stronger than ur average guy, so he can exploit it more so. U shouldnt copy a style just because it is good for the other guy will work for u. (i have posted a article about roddick serves somewhere in bf too)

Look at here, lots of scissor kick-like smashes or i mean slams.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbEaoffkbZo&NR=1
    why not copy federer instead?:p

#4 cooler, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009