User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice to you is to communicate on court with strategies. Don't force your partner to go stay at the front, he won't enjoy it very much.
    If possible, encourage him to play offensively etc, but never be angry or annoyed at him for being a weaker player :P.

About your trials,
    I've noticed that there is one VERY, VERY bad thing you can do when performing, and often loads of people overlook it and shrug it off to be insignificant.
    If you can, try to stay as relaxed as possible and to play without being tense. Because, when you're relaxed on the court and not stressed or worried etc, then your mind can focus and perform much better.
    Notice that when you play a drop shot into the net - your success rate is generally much lower when your are tense but seems to be effortless when you are relaxed?
    So anyway, good luck ^^.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well honestly if the level gap is too huge i find it quite impossible for you to compensate for his weaknesses no matter how good you are.

if i were you, i'd think in a different way---Instead of "he's weaker than me overall", ask yourself which aspect of his game does he need to improve on the most. What is his most easily exploited weakness? How would your opponent go about exploiting your weaker partner??

Are your opponents more likely to exploit his weak rear-court skills by hitting flat lobs to him repeatedly? Or would they wait for him to come forward, then hit fast drives past him, knowing that he cannot intercept quick enough at the net? Is he weak in driving the shuttle such that you can force a lift/loose shot by exchanging a couple of drives with him? You need to analyse how you guys are losing your points, and train him up accordingly

In fact i once partnered a very strong player, and it appears that having him up at the net yielded better results...simply because his net play is too much better than mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Destricto_Ense View Post
    ...I often find myself stuck at the front because my partner doesn't know when to go forward and backwards ...
    You might need to try some unorthodox tactics to throw the opponents off balance. For example, you serve short, you know you're supposed to stay at the front, but try stepping back sometimes (so that they don't have the "easy" option of hitting the shuttle over your head to your partner). And there are probably other tricks you can try, but it's hard to make specific suggestions without being able to watch your games. Just try to take them "out of the book" somehow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let's face it, the OP is complaining, in my book, you lose you don't complain, you find ways to get better.

the OP is very typical, "he's not good"... In the world where people are trying to improve it should be "he's lacking @ ______________" how can we improve. That's much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I donno about you but when i first started out my friend just gave me a basic breakdown of when to go front/back and side/side.

When someone clears to your partner you take the front position
    When your partner smashes stay there
    When your partner Clears you go back to sides
    When your partner drops stick to the front position

This is as simplistic as it got and quite frankly it applied to 90% of the situations i was in so for the longest time it worked. Maybe you should tell him the same thing?

Btw if you are finding that your partner is lacking too much and you don't want to or can't change partners how about do what i did with my partner? Drill the weaknesses out of them, my partner had bad defense so I kept smashing at him.

If you don't have enough courts to do drills then tell your partner to focus on 1 particular shot. This is how I learned since court time was always precious. I started out by only doing clears and lifts in doubles for 3 weeks (yes my partner hated me for that duration) but it got a lot better. Then I moved on to drop shots for 3 weeks, then i spent 1 week making sure both worked together and so on.

It is important to tell your partner what he is doing wrong, be observant, give him positive feedback and it will go along much smoother. Video cam him if possible, that definitely made learning a much speedier process for me.

It is also important to keep your cool, you will lose with a partner who is much below you but your sighing and negative eye signals will only make it worse for you if you can't change partners. Work with what you got, positive reinforcement always leads to much greater improvement because he will want to play instead of feeling that he's just gonna let you down. My partner kept my spirit up when I first started by encouraging me whenever I scored an unlikely point (Ie: sharp drop shot, or defending a smash in the opponents open court)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you have to get used to it...
    its your choice
    1. if your playing with players below your level of game, what will you expect?
    2. if your playing with players above your level of game, it will be you who is in the position of playing below their expectation....

just stay fit in playing badminton and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds to me like both you and your partner could use some training. so why not train together and get better as a team? talk to him and see how committed he is to playing badminton. then practice your shots. find out what you need to work on and what he needs to work on. in doubles its not always about who finished the shot. sometimes it's about setting up your partner with a quick drop or a half smash that your partner get to finish the point, but it's a point that's won together as a team.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2