racquet recomendations...

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by wireant, Nov 12, 2002.

1. wireant

wireant Regular Member

student
    Hi,
    I am an intermediate badminton player and am looking to buy a good racquet. Right now I am using racquets supplied by my college and I would rather have my own. My max budget for a racquet would be $50, however around $40 would be nice. I would like to get a racquet that has good control and is durable. I will most likely have the racquet for some time. Shape, material, or weight are not big concerns to me. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
    Nick T.

edit: I would also like it to come prestrung since I don't know of any place in my area that does it and I don't want to spend too much more.

#1 wireant, Nov 12, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2002
  2. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    perhaps you would like to state where u live, and what currency you deal in.

3. wireant

wireant Regular Member

student
    Sorry, I didn't even think about doing that. But as I can see this forum has participants from many countries.

I live in the United States- specifcaly in western New York and would be dealing with American dollars or possibly Canadian if I find a retailer close.

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

offensive or defensive player?
    are you strong enough to handle a light-headed racquet?
    do you play the net or prefer the smash?
    singles or doubles?
    your skill level?
    u can get some high-end yonex-knock-offs for a little more (70-ish)
    if u are a beggener, just about any will do until u find out what suits u

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Whatever you decide to get, welcome to the wonderful world of badminton. Hope you get as much enjoyment from the game as we have. :cool:

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    So far, as the "only" other player from New York, here are the websites that I usually do my badminton shopping:

1. www.badmintonsupplies.net (Yonex Iso-62 MF Light, $49.95 good beginner + int racket. )

2. www.badmintonwarehouse.com (Yonex Iso-62 MF Light, $47.95; ProKennex Carbon 500, $ 41.95, this brand usually have light racket for defensive style; Victor Dominator Ti $54.95, amazing racket with good power and low price. Too bad, outof stock for now.)

3. www.badmintonalley.com (If u can spend $75 or above, this site has a lot of amazing choices)

4. www.hiquasports.com (HQ-110, 20, 850, 626 are all within the range of $39-59, never used this brand, but according to the spec, light and good)

Happy shopping, and enjoy ur badminton career. :p

P.S: If u can provide further information on playing style (offense, defense, hard smasher, net controller, etc), maybe we can help u to further eliminate the choices.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sorry, here's 1 more site:

www.badminton.net

1. Yonex ISO 60MF - $40

2. Yonex ISO 62Mega - $45

3. Yonex Cab-8200 Light - $55 very good entry racket, if u can afford this, get it!

4. ProKennex SDBS 500 - $40: ProKennex is my favorite brand, light, good control + decent power

Plus, we have "connection" with the owner of this site. If u want to shop on this site, maybe u can contact "RedDog" in this Forum.

Good luck.

8. wireant

wireant Regular Member

student
    Thanks a lot. I just needed some suggestions to start with and I now have plenty of choices. They all look like very nice racquets. I will be starting my job in about a week. Once I get some more money I will purchase a racquet.
    As far as my player type- I guess I would be more of an offensive player, I play the net and smash it hard too. Next quarter in college I am taking a phys. ed class to improve my badminton skills so I will probably learn more about my playing style in that class.
    Thanks again.
    Nick

9. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Looks like the US northeast region just gain another badminton fan besides LB and I. 50% population increase. =) Hey wireant, where about in western NY are you at? Just want to say welcome to our badminton family here at the forum and best of luck to you. I was gonna suggest some places and sites but it seems like LB just gave out most of the sites I know too. :D You can always check the equipment retailer link on the homepage of badmintoncentral.com and they will show you a little more sites to contact.

10. wireant

wireant Regular Member

student
    Hi jwu,
    I live near Syracuse NY, but I am going to collge at Rochester Institute of Technlogy.

11. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    cool, yeah stupid of me to not realize that from the LOCATION listed under your name. :D That's cool, I am actually applying to med school in Syracuse and might be at that area next year september if all goes well. Feel free to contact Lazybuddy and myself if you ever want to get together for badminton. :D

12. wireant

wireant Regular Member

student
    Actually my location was not there until two people asked. So I just updated it. It would be pretty cool to get together for a game sometime. I am not that good yet (compared to most of you). But, like I said I am taking a class and will be joining intramurals so I will most likely be improving. I'll try to stick around the forum to see whats new.
    Nick

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Now, we have to "fight" through to represent US EAST. No more "auto. qualification" for me any more...

Sad, sad, sad... :(

j/k... Welcome come to EAST COAST badminton world... :p

14. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    Toronto is where its at boys :p

15. mojoe

mojoe Regular Member

student
    yea mike thats right, we got loads of players here in toronto... damn, almost too much for sure we wont be able to represent canada east for the BF Open if there will be one. so what racket you leaning towards wireant?