Boost confidence during the game

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Az1k1, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Az1k1

Az1k1 Regular Member

Asset Management
    Hi Guys/Gals

I have been seaching for a thread or a way which relates to my following question.

Let say you are ahead by a fair bit in points and suddenly you find yourself close to losing the game. The harder you fight the worst it gets. how do you guys cope with this situation? or if you are behind in points what do you do to boost confidence?

What do you do during the game that could help to boost your confidence. This is the most important answer i seek.

I believe you can have the best equipment in the world but without this mental preparation is nothing.

Can anyone help?

take a few deep breaths? or time out?

Thanks

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    most important thing is to ignore whats happend, recap and just focus on playing consistant badminton. If you find you lose 2 points in a row thats when the pattern needs to be broken. Simple as in between points do a quick lap of the courts nice deep breathing prepare yourself to recieve slowly and play.

Learn to focus point by point and not look back and it will help your mental strength/game alot.

3. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    you should concentrate and focus on winning in your mind. always play every rally like you normally do whether your 10pts ahead or losing because rushing it to get more pts wont help

4. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Taufik Hidayat-Dont think about winning,dont think about gold.Just think on how to get point one by one.
    Lee Chong Wei-If I play without pressure,then I can get a good result.
    Lin Dan-You must focus your mind on your game.
    Peter Gade-I need to calm down and control my pressure.

Well,if you think youre gonna lose then you will.
    You need to put your mind to the top.Never ever think to lose.
    I seldom take a deep breath and think back on how hard do I do to be a badminton player.Just think on how to get point one by one.

They were never have those 'time out' stuff.If in your mind "I gonna lose",then all you dont have any confidence to come back.

They are several players that didnt thing anything to come back and some are trying to get their confidence.Having confidence is important.If you dont have any confidence,you dont deserve to get a point.

Oh yah!Try to enjoy the game as much as you can do.Youll probally wont have any problem on your confidence perhaps ....

5. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    You have to focus on the process, not the outcome!! U cant determine the future so there is no point. If you feel urself getting anxious, a good tip I heard from my friend who is sports psychologist and clinical hypnotherapist is to pretend its the start of the practice match and the score is 0 - 0. This takes the pressure off.

He used to be a very very good archer, champion at regional level!! and every1 dreaded the last 3 arrows cause they all said the pressure was on and it was easy to mess them up. He just pretended that the last 3 arrows were his 1st 3 practice arrows and it worked for him every time.

This mite take a bit of getting used to and practice but it does work

6. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

To quote a movie, "don't try to hit me - hit me!". Or another one, "there is no try - do, or do not". ;)

7. Michael WBC

Michael WBC Regular Member

Student
    There is no right or wrong approach to this. Some players prefer to try and relax and focus on their own game and ignore their surroundings other get fired up. It is really all down to your personality. I personally always favoured the approach of playing ever point like it was the last point I would ever play. I am always of the opinion if you are going to beat me you will have to play as hard as you can as I don't believe in giving easy points.

The worst mistake you can make is too ease off. This can give your opponent a chance to get back and then they had the momentum in the match and it can easily slip away. Once on court in competition there is no room for sentiment. I have found myself in situations where I was winning easy and was tempted to ease off so not to embarrass an opponent. This happened to me a few years ago where I was playing a junior player in the early rounds of a competition. He was struggling badly but I did not ease off. In my mind I would do him a greater disservice by easing off and letting him into the match.

When I find myself losing and I am trying to chase the game I always think about times where I came back in a game and won. I use these memories to help me focus. These small things give me the confidence to not give in when I am losing.

Of course as mentioned by member Amin Khalili, you have to enjoy playing. I was at a tournament recently where my partner and I were beaten much earlier than expected. My partner was saying they felt like giving up the game. I told them that was a good thing to hear because if it still hurts to lose then victory will mean something. The day I win and I don't care about it is the day I finish playing. I live for the games where the score is 19-20 match point down nothing beats the rush of fighting for a point when it is all on the line. Thats where I find my fun.

8. druss

druss Regular Member

Whatever you choose to do, and there are many ways to handle it, you must be consistent. Don't let the pressure, or lack thereof, make you play differently than you should.

Keep in mind that I still believe that there are times to "turn it on" and play more aggressively.

9. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Does that not mean that you do play differently?

To stray a bit away from the topic:

What I often notice is that people (during practice) play weak when playing just for fun (i.e., without counting, e.g. at the end of warmup, when you are warm but not yet playing for real). They don't run much, stand on their heels etc. . Then, at the start of the game, they visibly need a few rallies to get "into the mood".

When I play just for fun (i.e., not counting, but already warmed up), I have much fun playing like in a real game. That means running after every shot, playing meaningful returns, etc. (though not smashing too offensively to keep the game flow up). To bodily exhaust myself while having fun is the reason why I do this sport. People like mentioned up there - sometimes I have the feeling, they don't actually want to move much, but in that case I don't understand why they play at all.

#9 Addict123, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  10. LVbeam

LVbeam Regular Member

When i'm behind in points, I usually imagine someone I really want to impress say a gal/guy you like. Or if they are already watching , even better. Simple, but it works everytime for me ;)

11. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

when i see that i am going to lose i just give really hard shout and try to imagine some really heavy rack music in my ears.
    and that's what turn's me on.

12. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Control Your CONCENTRATION

First I agree with Michael, it is very personal, for some imagine opponets with funny faces migth help for others they pretend that they will win a million...
    Many models witin this area is about mode and controlling it, that is beiing in the correct "mode". Many people tends to an unapropiate mode e.g. when they play sport, but on the other hand uses that "fighting-sporty-mode" in situations where it is not needed or even bad. Some people can really change a lot by being aware of it.
    U can find Books like "NLP" to help u with this, but dont believe all of it. For most people different music puts u into specific modes! Also after watching a movie like superman, u almost think u can fly afterwards lol. So first controlling "modes" is important.

Secondly beiing in the correct mode goes with another important factor "CONCENTRATION", train it, train it and train it. (For how long can u stare at a picture, with no even minor interruptions, thats is thinking of other things or move the focus just for splitsecond. Just 10 seconds can be difficult).

U mind always needs to work with something, u cannot turn it off (hopefully not lol ). If u mind is busy thinking of whether u win or lose, u r focusing on the wrong stuff.
    The trick is to keep the mind so busy contracting on the performance, tactics etc. that u don't even have the time to think of winning/loosing, your mind is simply to busy, with important stuff or just pure performance!

(Top professionals can be so obessed with concentration, as they do high performance, that they hardly can remember it afterwards, and they had no idea what was going on around them lol! Some describes it as someone else actually controlled their body!)