place to play in london

Discussion in 'UK' started by joeylui, Nov 13, 2002.

1. joeylui

joeylui Regular Member

student
    i am a student and good player in badminton who studying in the university of greenwich and living in avery hill,eltham.
    who know where i can play close for my live and feather ball to play?
    thank you very much
    joey

my email : 90288901@mail.hongkong.com

2. agd

agd New Member

Hi, there are a few options....there is a class at Crystal Palace on a Tuesday night, there is one on Wednesday (pay and play) at Colfe's School in Lee (nr Eltham) - both using feathers. There are plenty of clubs in London, you can look them up on www.baofe.co.uk under clubs in Kent. Better still look at badmintonUK which gives contact details and information about club nights. Hope that helps!

3. joeylui

joeylui Regular Member

student
    hi agd,
    can u give the contract methods (e.g. e-mails) to me about Colfe's School in Lee.
    since i can not find the information in these two web site. thx
    joey:D

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Joey,

the badmintonUK site is better

http://www.mark-taylor.ndtilda.co.uk/badmintonuk/kent/home.html

You have to click on each club and write down the contact details of the person

Same with this site

http://www.badders.com/club_dir/?seshid=
    (select 'Kent' and there will be a few clubs)

Then you have to ring the person up to find out the details of exactly where they are, the times they play and wether they use feather shuttles. Some clubs might be too far for you. People will generally give you a rough estimate of far away they are.

Some of these clubs don't have any contact details. To try and find them, one possibility is to ring up the Badminton Association of England and say you are looking for contact details of clubs in Kent. They may have the contact details of a person responsible for clubs in the Kent area and it is this person you should try to find and get information from.

If you play C or D doubles league in HK, then you should be a very reasonable standard in UK. (like way better than most players)

If you play A or B doubles league in HK, then I recommend you go to a top division club...

Most decent clubs will use feather shuttlecocks.

Which club plays top division? That you'll have to research yourself. Sorry!

5. agd

agd New Member

the contact number for Colfe's is 0208 297 9110. As Cheung says it will depend on your standard as to whether this is right for you or not. It is worth trying as it only costs £4 and runs from 7.30pm on a wednesday. There are a few club members who may be able to advise you on the best clubs around.

6. Robbie

Robbie Regular Member

IT
    Joeylui,
    I used to run the Badminton club at Greenwich Uni'. Does it not exist anymore. This used to be at the Woolwich campus every Wednesday. There are some clubs at Woolwich waterside sport centre.

7. joeylui

joeylui Regular Member

student
    thx yr advice

the badminton club in greenwich university exist but alway cancel by some reasons: few people, car was booked by the other, or anything else.
    but ,anyway, thank you for your all about the suggestions and i will try it....
    joey:D

8. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I want to play badminton too

HI Joey,

I want to play Badminton too but there is no badminton club in my university. Are you interested in playing/training singles?

9. joeylui

joeylui Regular Member

student
    last step before i play

hi wizbit and agd,
    i think i will join the culb of Colfe's School in Lee and i have already phone to the culb.
    but my problem is : i don't know the actually address of the club although the people in the phone say it is not far away from the station and i turn right .....something like that.
    if agd is the membre of this club, can i wait u at lee station at the first?
    by the way, wizbit can contact this and if u have any information , u can call me.
    thx
    joey:eek:

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is it this address?

http://www.colfes.com/

click on the 'contacts' link.

Joey,

I suggest you buy a book called 'A to Z of London' - it is a road map.

Get the address of the school and work out the route from the station to the school. You can then ask anybody you find INSIDE the school how to walk to the sports hall which looks like it is inside the school premises.

In UK, many sports halls are built next to a school.

11. joeylui

joeylui Regular Member

student
    why? agd?

hi agd,
    i am going to the Colfe today since you said that before at 7.30pm on a wednesday having a badminton activites. but after i went here, nobody here??
    why??
    is no activities during merry christmas?
    by the way, i have already phone them have badminton to play or not this week(18 dec 02) and they said "yes".
    i really don't know what happened here? but really dissapointed for me!
    and i just want to know what is happeneding!thx
    joey:confused:

12. agd

agd New Member

sorry joey, I don't check here often. I have not been to Colfe's for a while, yes they did stop playing before Christmas, but they have started again and have changed the time. It is 7pm start although most of the regulars still turn up at about 7.30pm. hope to see you there sometime.