Fixing the Handle

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by rlwong, Nov 13, 2002.

1. rlwong

rlwong New Member

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but I have three Cab21. Two of the three of them have broken in the handle. This begins basically with the the grip getting squeaky. The first time this happened, I removed the grip and put wood glue on to bond the cracked handle. This held for a while until I hit a clearing backhand and snap, handle broke. The second racquet has the squeak, and so I have put it away. I'm down to one good racquet.

I brought my broken one to a badminton shop, and they did a "fix" to it. They replaced the handle (I think very poorly, as the racquet now is about 0.5cm longer, and the plastic Yonex logo was changed to a Carlton logo), but it doesn't play the same and was very expensice ~$50Can.

I also tried to call Yonex, but they said they can do nothing.

Has this happened to anyone, and if so, how did you fix.

Thanks

2. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    wow, haven't came across many broken handles in my time. Your grip must be tight :D . well, only had one broken handle before but it didn't snap off, just a crack. I took care of the problem by some glue and strong adhesive tape, then the grip wrapping. If it completely snapped off then I guess there is no other way except get a new handle or a new racquet, sorry.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    This has happened to me several times with different Carlton models, and the MP-100. Like you say, it starts with a squeaking handle, then you know that the wood has started cracking...

I use two-component epoxy glue to fix this problem. It works, it lasts, and doesn't change the feel of the racquet at all. For instance, my fixed MP-100 is still holding up after about 300 playing hours. No squeaking.

Good luck!

4. rlwong

rlwong New Member