How to drive while returning smashes.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jestin, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Jestin

Jestin Regular Member

I have been trying to drive the smashes while receiving it but not successful yet. I play mostly doubles. I consider myself as an advanced player. I don’t have any trouble with a drop or a clear while returning a smash. A return clear will not make me on the offensive and a return drop will easily be killed or dropped if the opponent’s partner is already at the net and my partner is not at the net :( .

I know I could drive a smash by using the pan handle grip and crouching. But if I prepare for this I will not be in a position for other returns.

I prepare for returning a smash with:
    • back hand grip, racket head square with the net almost level with my waist. (I am right handed)
    • Racket arm stretched (not fully) and elbow always higher than the wrist
    • Position one step above half court nearer to the front box.
    • Feet wide almost in line with the shoulders and knees bend a little, me leaning forward and facing the net and in line with the opponent who is smashing.

How could I drive a smash successfully from this position. I don’t want to lose my clears and drops by changing the position.

Thanks a lot :).
    Jestin.

2. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

Maybe your having trouble also because the smashes are steep, if the shot is flat its easier to drive it back.

3. druss

druss Regular Member

It's also very difficult to drive back a hard smash from below the waist. I don't try to drive back too many smashes unless: 1. it's a half smash; 2. it's above the waist; and 3. i've got good court position. It's a pretty low percentage shot.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Uh, this isn't answering your question, but:

It sounds like you're standing too far forwards and are too committed to defending on your backhand side only.

As the straight defender in doubles, you should be one step back from the centre, and ready for both sides.

5. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    you shouldn't be in backhand grip nor forehand grip. You should have a loose grip to change to backhand or forehand grip depending on where your opponent is smashing

6. Jestin

Jestin Regular Member

Thanks Druss. I agree, but there should be a way. I have seen proffesionals doing it. But how are they doing it..:crying: .... with lot of training and coaching:D!!! but how :eek:

7. Jestin

Jestin Regular Member

Thanks Gollum. You are right, I should be positioned as you have mentioned but I am not young any more and my movements are becoming bit slower. So to get to the net fast if the opponents do drops or half smash instead of a smash I am positioning myself a bit into front.

Jestin.

8. Jestin

Jestin Regular Member

H NoRice4U, Thanks. I will try as you have suggested. Lot of training on backhand makes you use it everywhere:D:)
    Jestin.

9. Jestin

Jestin Regular Member

If the smash is flat no need to drive back, it will go out any way!! (not always :)). The steep smash I could reply with a clear or drop. Steeper the smash my opponents will kill my week replies :crying:. ( incase I replies :D)
    Thanks
    Jestin.

10. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    I would like to ask Jestin a question.
    Are you playing with feather bird or plastic bird?
    Because even MOST of the time ur opponent smash flat with feather, and u're standing middle of the court it pretty much be will be in. Unless he is hitting the bird at around middle of his side of the court and up close to the net.
    And i'm talking about 4 feet flat smash height.

11. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    I forgot to tell you where your legs are suppose to be

Your legs should be wide and knees bent down.

I have a question is your footwork really swift ie: you have fast recovery and you don't stomp like a dinosaur.

Because in singles when you take smash try to be behind the the service by like 1 foot size. And if your opponent is Pro Singles he should smash the sides of the court and get ready to stretch your legs, dive and reach!

In doubles make sure your foot is ready to move so that you can adjust the distance you are comfortable to return smash.

12. Jestin

Jestin Regular Member

I am playing with feather, AS30 / AS10. With flat smashes what I meant is exactly what you mention. Its always a mis hit, what intended to be a smash but drives the bird parallel to the ground with the same force as a smash. If the same is done on the bird from the end of the court then it will become a fast drive that will fall on my back box:D

13. Jestin

Jestin Regular Member

Jaa, I keep my legs wide and knees bent down, I think I mentioned in the first post:). Also I will be on toe waiting for the smash.
    I rarely play singles nowadays!! My footwork is good but recovery is not fast as before!!! I like that dinosaur part, just thought about how the dino would wield an arc 10 with all the teeth showing, stomp down at me for a smash :D:)

#13 Jestin, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  14. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

1 foot behind the short service line is a very offensive front attacking position in doubles and way too close for any defensive position. This both cuts down time available for you to react and leaves you vulnerable to an offensive clear. Most pros stay a good 6-8 feet behind the short service line when defending.

Next, if his opponent is Pro Singles and he's asking here, something's very wrong.

#14 weeyeh, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  15. Jestin

Jestin Regular Member

ooops... I think I need to clarify my defense position. I said in my first post "one step above half court nearer to the front box." By "half court" what I intended was half of the court excluding both front and back boxes. Very sorry for that. So taking the full court into account I will be positioned one step back from the center as Gollum has said.

16. druss

druss Regular Member

To be honest, what you're talking about is more of a push than a drive. To me drives are fairly flat with little to no arc, when the shuttle is below your waist you have no choice but to have an arc in it or it will become a low clear or just go out. Basically what you're trying to do is push is past the front defender but short enough the smasher has to raise it. Hopefully you keep it low or fast enough the front attacker can't intercept.

17. Jestin

Jestin Regular Member

Yes, thats exactly what I want. The front defender shouldn't kill it and the smasher has to raise it.

18. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Doubles you wouldn't so much be able to push the shuttle past the front opponent because the smash will be target at the centre or the player that has caught off guard.

In that situation you have no choice but to just lift, unless your opponent's smash is so weak and slow that you can take advantage of. Or just let him smash till he is out of stamina or makes the mistake

#18 NoRice4U, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  19. Phydhel

Phydhel Regular Member

about defending stance, i find more maneuverability yes with feet a little wide apart AND with racket foot slightly in front.

Just my 2 cents

20. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

stronger wrist.