One of those *boring* nights...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by andrew_cherry, Nov 13, 2002.

1. andrew_cherry

andrew_cherry Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think i've found the only thing worse than losing... Just got back from a match at Uni. I was playing first pair, with a guy who's bloody brilliant. The problem was, we won without me even doing that much. I'm a good player, (modesty aside) but I never even got into it. I'd serve, they'd lift, he'd smash. We'd win the point. On his serve, they usually returned short (god knows why they didn't on my serve - would have given me something to do). We'd win the point.

Either I need better opposition, or a worse partner! That wasn't even exercise! Serving and the odd winner to hit. I need more! Ah well, I suppose I shouldn't complain, we won, but bring on some better teams. I want adrenalin!

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    See what u mean...

Maybe, just practice ur serve, like ur partner does, make sure they can't even return it... :D

3. andrew_cherry

Software Engineer
    How do you mean? My serve is pretty damn tight already! They couldn't attack it, that's why they'd always lift. I tend to attack short returns, so they just didn't do them. The thing is - so did my partner, and they did against him. And he's lethal if you do that (or anything else, that's the problem!).

Think we'll be changing the pairings next time anyway. It's a waste and silly to have an overstrong pairing, when you could spread it out a bit, and maybe win more games as a team.

4. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Don't underestimate your serve. In badminton, the serves are defensive but I'm sure you have heard of the saying, "A good defensive is a good offensive". IMHO, serves can definitely help you win. I was fortunate to have that experience against a pair of 2nd best doubles team in BC, Canada. We didn't win but we sure gave them 3 games and had them scared ;)

5. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    do you play at durham? - i once had a partner there who would shout at me every point telling me to get back when it was clearly my shot - granted he was damn good and we always won - but i hated playing with him - and often my opponents hated playign against him because he would shout during rallies.

6. andrew_cherry

Software Engineer
    yes i do, amongst other places - when did you used to play? i wonder if your partner is still there... :)