User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tinh_duyen209 View Post
    I had a surgery over the summer 2009, they fixed my medial and lateral meniscus cuz they said when they test my knee, they thought my ACL was there and my knee was pretty strong. SO, they didnt do the acl reconstruction.
    They must have done the meniscus surgery by arthroscopy. What I want to know is did they visualise the ACL as either being intact or torn during he previous surgery?

It's important because you have an MRI which shows ACL torn BUT it is not backed up by clinical examination. Therefore, you need a third confirmation which should be what they saw in the arthroscopy. It sounds like they did see it as being torn but you seem pretty unsure about it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talked to my parents today about acl reconstruction but they advise not to do it because there are some risk to it. They think of the bad side which is what if the doctor messed up the knee and that I would end up being paralyzed.

This frightens me. I really want to be able to run and play badminton again and play tennis too but without an acl, I'm not able to run or play tennis or anything. I hate it. I have been living through this knee pain and repeated episodes of my knee giving out for a year now.

I did research in which people who have their acl reconstructed, re-tear it within a year or they tore the acl in the other leg. I don't know what to do.

For those who had their acl reconstructed, were there any risk? How can you guys have the confidence to face the surgery? Have you ever thought of what would happen if the doctor messed up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    They must have done the meniscus surgery by arthroscopy. What I want to know is did they visualise the ACL as either being intact or torn during he previous surgery?

It's important because you have an MRI which shows ACL torn BUT it is not backed up by clinical examination. Therefore, you need a third confirmation which should be what they saw in the arthroscopy. It sounds like they did see it as being torn but you seem pretty unsure about it!
    I asked him when I went to see him and he told me he went in my knee using the scope and saw that it is completely torn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just had a moment to myself in which I was reflecting on my entire year that I got injured. I remember the first few months after i tore my acl, even when I do light stuff like stand and hitting the birdie, my knee will totally give out and I will fall backwards on the ground. I would fall right on my butt. But after I been strengthening it by biking with resistance daily before I play badminton, it was different. This was before I had a meniscus surgery. I was able to play for 2 and a half months before my knee would hurt but it didn't give out as in I would fall down. I'm not quite sure if it's due to the acl or because of my meniscus.

Now that i have my meniscus fixed and it has been 2 and a half months since that happened, I'm still thinking why my knee hurt when I was just running acorss the street to avoid an incoming car. I remember I didn't fall on the street. My knee just hurts like how it did when I was playing badminton again.

I met a friend today who had an acl reconstruction and told her about it. She didn't think it was because of the lack of acl but rather it's my meniscus still in the process of healing that made me still feel pain when I was just running.

Although, I am convincing myself to not have the acl reconstruction due to my parents wish of not wanting me to be paralyze, I still don't really know if I'll need it. I guess it all boils down to the day when I see my doctor again on monday.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry for not replying for so long.

As with any surgery, there are risks involved. Actually, your previous meniscus surgery has risks as well!

I've seen people with three ACL reconstructions! Sure there is a chance of the reconstruction rupturing. But remember your normal ACL also can rupture.

Basically, for the worst case scenario of not being able to walk after ACL surgery I think that is a pretty dim view to take. You'd probably have more chance being hit by a car on the way to hospital than being paralysed from surgery.

How to assess if you need the surgery?

Well, you have to assess how much it affects your daily activities. If you place great value on doing sports, then many people would decide to have it done. If you are quite sedentary, then you may not need it done as you can cope with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tore my ACL in August 2004, but initially my surgeon thought it was just a meniscus tear (he only did an exterior examination - knee movement etc.). Then when the initial swelling got down, he knew that I had torn my ACL (I did it playing football).

I did the op in January 2005. It took me until June 2006 before I was able to train again, but this was due do a collapsing arch in my foot that my physio took some time to discover. This was resulting in undue stress being put on my recovering knee and was not allowing it to heal well. I did a scan of my foot, and got some custom insoles. Within 3 weeks I was training again. I can now play regularly again.

I would recommend going ahead with surgery. Just keep in mind that you have to take care to do a proper rehabilitation program to get your knee back in good shape. Resistance biking before the op is recommended, as this will tone your quads muscles (these will suffer in the period post-op when you won't be able to exercise properly). If possible, invest in some cold-therapy knee-wraps - these will help reduce swelling and pain - I still use mine now, especially after intense training. Also, ask your doctor for glucosamine sulphate supplements - these help your knee to heal faster.

Good luck with your decision

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, new to the forums.

I tore my ACL in my left leg about 6 years ago...

If you want to continue playing badminton and you have a torn/damaged ACL, its my advice to get it repaired.
    I have had 3 operations cleaning up my meniscus and one big operation reconstructing my ACL.

It is very important to stick a strict rehabilitation regime... From personal experience, if you don't build back the the muscle around your knee, when you least expect it, it can pop out. Its those moments, when you are not tensing your muscles, that it can pop out...

Also, despite it not looking very cool, wear a knee brace, it makes a big difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to let you guys know, my operation is due in three week's time. Will update you people over here. My ACL has been torn for 10months already. I have just been waiting for a top consultant to operate on my knee, otherwise, it could be much quicker. But then again, you only want the best to fix it for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    If your MRI reported an ACL tear and you had the arthroscopy, but the ACL was seen intact, then you have to go by the results of the arthroscopy. This means your ACL is intact and therefore, there is no point in thinking about an ACL reconstruction (since that bit of your body is OK)
    Definitely agree with that, an arthroscopy is concrete evidence of what is or isn't right in the knee.

The surgeon is likely to have still images of your ACL to support his theory when he made a report - to reassure you further you could ask him if you could see them.

6 Weeks as Cheung also says is not a long time, as I imagine the period before surgery you were either inactive, or a lot less active than before & in recovery from the arthroscopy you will also be less active. Muscle takes a long time to build up strength & a short time to lose it again. I had arthroscopy almost exactly 1 year ago, and It was three weeks before & 2 weeks after before I could do any meaningful excercise, so a total of 5 weeks inactivity, I would suggest this would take me at least double (10) weeks to get anywhere near the fitness of before.

I was playing (badly) against someone in this forum 4 weeks after surgery & I certainly felt the pace was not there (You know who you are, it is forever my excuse!)

Seriously though, It is VERY important to undertake the physio excercise they give you that are specific to your injury. They help to strengthen the smaller muscle groups that support the knee and stabilise it - failure to undertake these excercises will lengthen your recovery period & leave you at risk of a recorrence or different knee injury due to the added stress on the joint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, I had my ACL reconstructed about 3 weeks ago together with meniscus repair. The doctor has advised 6 weeks of non weight bearing and up to 90 degrees knee flexion alloewed. So, I can only do certain exercises. If this is the case, won't this limitation of exercise be bad for my ACL recovery? I understand most patients who had ACL surgery are supposed to flex up to 120 deg by 6 weeks. I know feel that even at 90 deg flexion, my knee already feels tight. Will this slow down my recovery? Anyone with this experience? Appreciate if anyone can share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fookimean View Post
    Hi, I had my ACL reconstructed about 3 weeks ago together with meniscus repair. The doctor has advised 6 weeks of non weight bearing and up to 90 degrees knee flexion alloewed. So, I can only do certain exercises. If this is the case, won't this limitation of exercise be bad for my ACL recovery? I understand most patients who had ACL surgery are supposed to flex up to 120 deg by 6 weeks. I know feel that even at 90 deg flexion, my knee already feels tight. Will this slow down my recovery? Anyone with this experience? Appreciate if anyone can share.
    Maybe I ask how old are you? I think you really have to take it easy, everyone's recovery time is different, even if you are very young. My physio started almost 2weeks after the surgery, although I did not have meniscus problem though. I was able to "sneak" back to light badminton after three months with a huge knee brace. Not that I advise you to do the same, it is dangerous, but like I said, see how it goes with your recovery, your physiotherapist will decide what you can and cannot do. Trust me, if you want to get back to baddy, take physio slowly, and after 6months, start training your muscles. Then in 9-12 months, you will be back to the court.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for yr reply colekwok. I am in my mid 40s and maybe my age is also a factor in slow recovery. Yes I do really wanna go back to playing baddy and I hope all is well. I do feel tightness & pain at the incision site but with your encouraging words I think I will be ok. I shall share my recovery again soon.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fookimean View Post
    Thanks for yr reply colekwok. I am in my mid 40s and maybe my age is also a factor in slow recovery. Yes I do really wanna go back to playing baddy and I hope all is well. I do feel tightness & pain at the incision site but with your encouraging words I think I will be ok. I shall share my recovery again soon.
    There are different techniques of ACL reconstruction. It really depends on the surgeon's particular preferences for rehab programme. Maybe being a bit conservative because healing may be a bit slower at 40 years old. Six weeks of non-weight bearing seems rather long though.

Older surgeons may be more conservative. Perhaps you can seek the advice of local physio and even find a private physio do to help with some extra sessions.
    Last edited by Cheung; 01-19-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Cheung. Thanks for yr input. Yeah I really thought so too that 6 weeks of non weight bearing is rather long. I have read elsewhere that even with meniscus repair, people are already walking after 4 weeks. I don't want this non weight bearing factor to slow down my rehab. The rehab dept is also in the same hospital and they have received orders from the doc to keep me off the ground & max 90 deg flexion for now. ...... It's torturing to not being able to do much. I plan to go back playing as soon as I am able to.
    Yes, going to a different rehab centre might be a good idea too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone here has the doctor telling you non weight bearing for 6 months with meniscus repair? Thanks

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

6 months vs 6 weeks... that's a huge difference...

Even if you're not allowed to wt bear, you can do some light stationary biking exercises. You don't want your muscles to atrophy too much for too long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha...... Typo......
    Mati lah if 6 months 😭

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also, ask your surgeon the reason why the slow rehab program. Very important.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast