User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand the 'non weight bearing' part. Does that mean you cannot even walk? When I had my operation, the doctor forced me to walk right away the next day. My guess is, no load bearing means no weight training or physio. You will lose so much muscle mass after 6 weeks without walking!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah you are right, no load bearing on my left leg. So I am using crutches most times and I do my exercises on my bed or the rehab center bed....... This is probably to protect the meniscus healing.......
    Those who only did ACL can walk right away from my understanding so far.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fookimean View Post
    Yeah you are right, no load bearing on my left leg. So I am using crutches most times and I do my exercises on my bed or the rehab center bed....... This is probably to protect the meniscus healing.......
    Ah! That explains why, the meniscus! Of course.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Definitely cannot be due to meniscus healing. You need to check with the surgeon. Do you have a copy of the surgical notes?

As a side note, how did you select the surgeon? Was it in government hospital ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Cheung, from yr experience, what is the usual protocol like about ACL recon and meniscus repair. From my readings, the norm is only about 4 weeks non weight bearing only. Only curious why mine is 6 weeks. Yes, the surgeon told me is because of my meniscus that I cannot weight bear yet. The surgeon is actually quite highly recommended in a private hospital. My bill came to almost MYR 30,000. !!
    No, I don't have surgical notes with me.....

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The price of surgery sure cannot be compensated for savings on kangkung.

I think we better make sure no misunderstandings.

A) do the instructions mean you must use crutches for 6 weeks?

B) are you allowed to partial weight bear I.e. put a little weight on the knee or absolutely no weight?

C) meniscus should be a more minor operation. E.g. a bit of trimming (which should have pretty quick recovery). Less commonly, a up to a few stiches of mensicus may be put in to repair the meniscus (this would take a longer healing). However, there may be a special circumstances. Hence, the query on whether surgical notes available. The surgeon may not have explained in such detail.

D) Since it is private practice, I think you have every right to have a copy of the radiological investigations and also a report by the surgeon on what the operation. The report should say what was found in the arthroscopy and also what was done for the ACL and the meniscus.

E) out of curiosity, was it hamstring graft? More surgeons prefer to do the single bundle technique.

F) I need to go back and check exactly what protocol people usually follow in my locality.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Best person to check about rehab is the physio. My physio friend just told me it's very variable between surgeons. Different surgeons have different protocols and some surgeons do say non-weight bearing for six weeks. I would have expected some partial weight bearing is ok, especially if you are able to exercises with the physio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. When I saw the doc last week, he says no weight bearing at all, crutches for 6 weeks, no trimming of meniscus, stitching done on the lateral side of meniscus. But I guess he may be from the old school and exercising more caution? Otherwise I go for rehab twice a week doing heel slides, quad sets, leg raises(now with added weight), leg extension etc

Yes, it's a hamstring graft and mine is the double bundle technique which even if I have the whole plantation of kangkung won't b able to pay for this.....😁😁

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Meniscus repair with stiches does take longer rehab so I guess you are ok

Double bundle eh? Can't be too many surgeons doing that regularly in private practice in Malaysia. No wonder a premium is charged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup.... Heard he is one of a few doing this double bundle as it's relatively new in Msia......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to know that I am ok ...... Coz not many BCers do ACL & meniscus repair together. Usually only one problem addressed...... But I am not so lucky.....
    Thanks Cheung😀

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would like to clarify my comment in post 38 of this thread. I thought fookimean only had meniscus trimming when making my comment about recovery from meniscus surgery.

Meniscus repair involves putting stitches in the meniscus to repair a tear. It is an advanced technique and recovery is longer.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Glad to know that I am ok ...... Coz not many BCers do ACL & meniscus repair together. Usually only one problem addressed...... But I am not so lucky.....
    Thanks Cheung��
    Actually, you don't know that They just didn't mention it or forgot to mention it.

Many, many ACL tears have an element of meniscus injury.

Since double bundle is relatively new in M'sia, it's understandable the surgeon is more conservative on the rehab side, especially in private practice. He doesn't want you to come back for surgery if you injure the knee during initial rehab! If something went wrong, his reputation may take a hit. I don't think he can be from the old school if he does your surgery that way because double bundle is a newer technique. Just the rehab is a bit conservative to the patient's expectations.

Good luck with the recovery!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Cheung. You really know these stuff so well! But then again, you are a doctor right?
    Before my injury, I have never even heard of ACL!! I only know a bit now after doing some readings here & there. Many baddy players in my circle are still clueless about my injury. They thought its a knee sprain!!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I asked around for some more information.

Again, very variable rehab according to different orthopaedic doctors and I guess the type of meniscus injury repaired.

However, weight bearing should be ok if NOT bending the knee (as the bending with weight has a shearing force on the stitches). Bending the knee without weight is ok as well. Again, the advice is very surgeon specific and I quote this just to show how variable the rehab programmes can be.

6 weeks is still acceptable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's great news

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My injuries is more than ACL construction n meniscus repair.Now is my coming 6 months,recovery is good n stable.Just need more strengthening from physiotherapy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast