Masters in Batam?

Discussion in '2002 Tournaments' started by nauknip, Nov 14, 2002.

1. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Hi all,

I heard that there'll be an invitational masters in Batam, Indonesia next week. Is there anyone here who knows about it? Erm, anyone from Indonesia who can confirm this? Thanx.

2. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    True!!

It´s true and I know that Michael Soogard and Jim Laugesen are attending the tournament. I don´t know any more, sorry!!

Jonas

3. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Thanx Jonas. :)

I just found some more information about this tournament, for anyone else interested. It's the first edition of the Batam Masters, organised by the BA of Batam, and they hope to make it an annual event. It involves only the MS and MD, and this year participants from 9 countries are invited.

MS:
    Group A - Wong Choong Hann (MAS), Anders Boesen (DEN), Ronald Susilo (SIN), Ng Wei (HKG)

Group B - Taufik Hidayat (INA), Shon Seung Mo (KOR), Boonsak Polsana (THA), Bjorn Joppien (GER)

MD:
    Group A - Lee Dong Soo/Yoo Yong Sung (KOR), Chan Chong Ming/Chew Choon Eng (MAS), Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto (INA)

Group B - Flandi/Eng Hian (ENG), Pramote Teerawiwatana/Tesana Panvisvas (THA), Michael Sogaard/Jim Laugesen (DEN)

The top 2 players/pairs from each group after the round-robin stage qualifies for the semifinals.

4. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Oh yes, they invited China as well but because they are having some inter-club league in the country, they declined the invitation.

The Group A matches for MD would be quite interesting. Less than 2 months ago, Chan/Chew beat Candra/Sigit for the first time in the semis of the Asian Games, and lost to Lee/Yoo the next day despite having beaten them before. But Candra was said to have been injured at that time. Candra/Sigit defeated Lee/Yoo easily just last week in the ABC. If nothing goes wrong, Candra/Sigit should win both their matches and qualify, and the match between Lee/Yoo and Chan/Chew will decide the other semifinalist.

Of course personally I would wish for Chan/Chew to qualify. :D

#4 nauknip, Nov 20, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2002
  5. modious

modious Regular Member

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sports/story/0,4386,156676,00.html?

R.Susilo beat Boonsak Polsana to reach the finals, where he'll be meeting Taufik Hidayat.

Interestly though, R.Susilo seems to have little difficulty beating Wong Choon Hann. Beating him twice in a row is no small feat! First in the Singapore Open (15-12, 15-4), and now the Batam Masters (15-8, 15-7).