User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are plenty of places to play in California. If you go to the San Francisco area, they are opening a new Bin Tang badminton Academy. Berkley is probably the best college to play badminton at since there are many good players like Terrance Pang. The best place to play at is probably Smash City in Milpitas. They probably have the best training program since almost all their big name players win CCS and nationals. There are many GREAT players at Smash City to play with, such as Bruck Belayneh, Galdino Rosas, Andy Quach, Terrance Pang, etc. I would say SoCal has some of the older players, but NorCal has more newer players that are simply amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milkk View Post
    Ya Chandra just moved to bbc this week ): it was really sad for most people at ggbc. Since he just started at bbc I'm going to guess that he probably doesn't have many people right now, but at ggbc he taught a lot of people.
    just curious .... why did he leave ggbc?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shreky View Post
    just curious .... why did he leave ggbc?
    Maybe because Mike Yang is selling GGBC? In any event, I'm sure it's a welcome news for many players at BBC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bulutangkis View Post
    Maybe because Mike Yang is selling GGBC? In any event, I'm sure it's a welcome news for many players at BBC.
    Chandra's leaving cuz mike yangs hella mean. that's why half the employees leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinyao0615 View Post
    There are plenty of places to play in California. If you go to the San Francisco area, they are opening a new Bin Tang badminton Academy. Berkley is probably the best college to play badminton at since there are many good players like Terrance Pang. The best place to play at is probably Smash City in Milpitas. They probably have the best training program since almost all their big name players win CCS and nationals. There are many GREAT players at Smash City to play with, such as Bruck Belayneh, Galdino Rosas, Andy Quach, Terrance Pang, etc. I would say SoCal has some of the older players, but NorCal has more newer players that are simply amazing.
    Socal has some of the older players? Have you ever played badminton in Socal? There are great players everywhere...Socal has plenty of players as well such as Hock Lai Lee, and some im sure you've never heard of but are of national caliber as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's not turn this into a NorCal vs. SoCal thread. I'm from NorCal, but I live in Socal currently, and they both have great players to play with/against, but that wasn't part of the OP's question.

He asked for the general overview regarding clubs, and that information has been given.

As for coaches, it really depends on what you're looking for. In NorCal, if your focus is doubles, you should probably train with Chandra. If your focus is singles, you're better off with Holvy @ Smash City or Minh @ Bintang. If you don't have a focus, and just want to get better, pretty much any coach at any club can do that for you.

I'm not too sure about the SoCal coaches, though I'd guess that the coaches at ABC and SGVBC (I'm thinking Hock & Johannah) are more singles-oriented.

Again though, any of the coaches will be able to help you improve, and subtle distinctions like focus don't really apply unless you're actively looking to specialize in a single event.
    Last edited by supralover23; 11-30-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by captainB View Post
    Chandra's leaving cuz mike yangs hella mean. that's why half the employees leave.
    I don't know why he's leaving but it's probably something along those lines. Cause ya... like all the coaches left and there's only 2 left at GGBC 2. It's really sad cause there used to be a lot more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by captainB View Post
    I don't know why people left either. Possibly like someone once said - that
    Mike is selling GGBC. People don't want to deal with uncertainty?

Perhaps badminton business is expanding too rapidly, somewhat reminiscent
    of the dot.bomb era? And GGBC has reduction in revenue that can only be
    matched with reduction in personnel?

I'd been coached by Mike for a year quite a few years back. I didn't get the
    impression that he's a mean person. Ambitious (with his ideal, of setting up
    a high-quality gym), yet approachable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2