more cushion = bad for knee

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by |R|S, Nov 14, 2002.

1. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    is it true?

i heard from a friend that for people with knee problem, we shouldnt get a shoe with so much cushion, it's bad for the knee...

but i think it's kinda strange... i mean the whole point of cushion is to lessen the shock that the body receives right? so how can more cushion be bad for the knee?

i am asking this because i am at the junction of choosing between shb92 and 95. 95 has lesser cushion compared to 92.

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Reason not to wear shoes with too less cushion: When I was running on the highschool track team (i ran 100m dashes), the coach told us to NEVER run on any kind of surface that is "absolutely hard" wut he means by that is surfaces lik concrete, tar, and anything that doesn't "bounce" bak, because the impact on the knees are much larger than when running on surfaces such as grass or on the track due to the fact that we were lifting our legs up so high(in comparison to the long distance runners)

Reason not to wear shoes with too much cushion: I do not recall the coach talk anything about surfaces too soft, but my guess is if the ground is too soft, then when you sink your foot into it, the ground will change shape, when the ground changes shape, the foot would have to adjust to it (and the ground wont always jus "sink in" making a flat surface at 180 degree, but maybe slightly tilted) over large amounts of time spend in the "awkward" position, the foot mite change its anatomy to acompany the "awkwardness" thus might be bad for the leg/shin/ankle area of the body

Just a thought

3. modious

modious Regular Member

R u talking abt the SHB95EX and SHB92EX? The cushioning is about the same for those 2 pairs except that the SHB95EX is more wide and comfortable.

But if you're talking about SHB92EX vs SHB95 (Japan), then I believe the SHB92 has more cushioning and more "off" the ground and isn't that what mongoose said? I don't think anyone of us has the SHB92 (Japan). Hmmm....

Anyway, I thought you always change the new insoles Yonex shoes have with a different, more expensive and has more cushioning... so does it matter?

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What is the basis behind this theory??

5. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    i dont know the basis of the theory... but since i have a knee problem, i decided to clarify this theory.

i am comparing 92ex with 95ex

6. Californian

Californian Regular Member

The only time I had any kind of knee problem from playing badminton was when I wore a pair of new shoes with traction that was too good compared to what I was used to. I made a move to the side and the new tread stopped me too abruptly.

As for cushion, I always have added extra cushions to what comes with the shoe.

7. viver

viver Regular Member

Read somewhere (can't remember where) that too much cushion could affect your legs. Insoles should provide proper cusioning and support. Adequate support will help your ankles 'hold' its position during the motion dynamics. Too soft (or too much cushioning) insoles prevents you to have proper balance. When your heels hit the ground they do not provide enough support your ankles and possibility of injury arise. Similar to walking on a very soft mattress.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The the question becomes, how do you define 'too much'?

Every badminton shoe I've ever used has had too little cushioning! I've always had to put heel inserts to lessen the impact on my heel.

9. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    RS, IMHO, I think in terms of the game of badminton, a little cushioning is enough. Remember just a couple of days ago when I was asking you if you could get me a pair of the SHB95? The reason is I started having knee and foot injury after I started wearing the SHB92. Also, I find moving around the court is much faster with less cushioning. Again, it all depends on what kind of surface you played on. I usually play on wooded floors gym, so I don't really need too much cushion.

10. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    xuser, what type of knee and foot injuries are we talking about here?

11. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Holy, I won't know what to say here as I'm not a doctor. As for the foot, the pain is at the ball of my left foot (I'm right handed) and for the knee, it seems to be around the bottom of my knee cap. It is most lightly cartilage problem.

12. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    nope... i dont feel no such problems

13. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I'm of the opinion that excessive cushioning can be bad for your feet over the long-term. The human has a whole system of muscles and tendons which can be very effective in absorbing force. However, with the generally low levels of physical activity performed by most people, the body's ability to use this natural force absorbtion system decreases - a combination of the muscles atrophying in size, the nervous system not knowing what pattern of muscles to fire or simply firing too slowly for the needs. When this is combined with the sudden activity (e.g. badminton match on weekend) that we enjoy, the result is an increased risk of injury.

The problem that shoes with heavy force dampening brings is the reduced feedback which leads to the problem getting worse by decreasing the need for your muscles to adapt. This is treating the symptom of inefficient movement skills, rather than dealing with the root of the problem itself.