Grips

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Joanne, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    How can you make your grip last for a long time? I used one for 2 months and then I had to change it cause it was worn out.

2. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Joanne,

Try different brands of overgrips. Some last a long time while others fall apart in weeks. I find that Gamma lasts a lot time. Some brands that I have tried do not last very long. Also, it depends on the material and some of the very soft grips do not seem to last.

Ron

3. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    what kind of grip are you talking about? materials?

4. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Gamma grips seem to be made of some soft rubber and it seems to last. Tournagrip seems to be made of some synthetic rubber/fiber stuff and it does not last very long. Gamma grip is also more comfortable but slightly more expensive.

Ron

5. modious

modious Regular Member

Are you talking about overgrips or normal replacement grips? I doubt you're talking about towel grips here.

And also, how often do you play each week?

If you've been playing regularly, 2 months is a pretty long time for an overgrip (if it is). Maybe try wearing a wrist band will help.

6. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

Hi... i play 3x to 4x a week and towel grips last me around 3 wks. (but it feels yucky on the 3rd week :p ) the rubber replacement grips last a bit longer around 6 weeks, I have tried Falken and Gosen but they get slippery after a game. It all depends if you get sweaty palms =)

7. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Your're right Baddie. If you have sweaty palms, your grip usually don't last as long. I changed my grip about once every 3 weeks and I play twice a week.

Why would you want your grip to last long anyways? It is not as if they only last you for 1 week or so. I rather play with a nice grippy grip than to save a couple of bucks for another few more weeks and play badly.

8. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

I can't change my grip every month, I'm not that free. Anyway, I juz got a new Pacific grip, very good. I found Karakal grip terrible, wore out so fast! I play twice a week, 2 hours.

9. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Joanne, I'm not sure what exactly you meant by "...not that free." It doesn't take long to change a grip. Maybe a min or two?

10. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    maybe she means cash strapped..

11. ronk

ronk Regular Member

My palms do not sweat and consequently, my grips can last months and even years. I had a grip that was on my racket for more than 10 years because I had stopped playing for more than 10 years. The grip had disintegrated and was getting my hands blue the first time I used that racket after 10 years; I had to take out the grip immediately -- LOL.

People with sweaty palms need to change the grip often while those with dry palms can get by changing their grips every few months (or even years).

Joanne, try to get a brand that gives you good feeling and lasts a reasonably long time. Once you get a good brand, stay with it.

Ron

12. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Sorry Ron. I had to disagree with you on one subject here. I simply cannot understand how one can stay with the same grip for years??? Not even over 6 months if you play a couple of times a week. Even if you don't have a sweaty palm, you can still wear out the grip.

13. ronk

ronk Regular Member

If you play a lot, most grips wear down but some brands can last months and maybe more than a year. If you don't use the racket at all, the grip can stay on the racket for more than 10 years (of course the grip is unusable, but that is another story :)).

Ron

14. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

i think i've found the perfect grip. And I meant that I'm only 11, I need someone to bring me to a place to change the grip. :mad:

15. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Nice to see Joanne at 11 being able to try out new grips with good rackets. Joanne, hope your parents will take you to the sport shops so you can buy a few extra grips to stock up and so you need not have to buy a new grip everytime the old grip wears out. You will need to find one you like first that is worth stocking up on. Have fun playing badminton and become a world champion in 10 years :).

I remember when I was young and had no money to buy grips (only towel grips existed back then) or even good rackets. We (the group I was playing with) had to find cheap but decent shuttlecorks to play.

Ron:)

16. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Yes, it's nice to see young kids here in this forum who are positive about this sport. I wonder how many kids are there around this age who frequent this forum??

Joanne is probably the only kid or even the few adults I know that find grips are so important. Keep up the good work Joanne! :D

17. tfc

tfc Regular Member

one tennis grip=two badm. grips

If you cut tennis over grip into two diagonally along the cut, you would get
    two badminton grips. I use babolat easy grip for tennis, and they are good and
    cost effective.

18. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Hmm, no idea how to change a grip by myself, 'sides, I'll prefer the shop to do it, I don't trust myself,;) . Anyway, I love badminton since I first pick up the racquet, I think, lol. :D

19. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

oh yeah.....

I used to use towel grips, but for some reason or other I always got blisters. Can anyone tell me why? :confused:

20. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Joanne, could be the way you hold your grip, too tight and/or not correct? There are many people I know who have played badminton for many years and still not have the correct grip.

I personally don't like the feel of the towel grip. ;)