why so many mistakes??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by logicalguy, Nov 23, 2009.

1. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

Hi I have a problem.

I've been spending a lot of time improving my fitness, strength, etc., and I practice my footwork a lot. I have noticed that I am much stronger and faster on court than before, which is nice :)

Also, my game is sort of in transition, because I'm retraining myself (off youtube and videos here :D) to play correctly and am learning to drive a lot more. Also, my hand-eye coordination is having to be retrained because I'm only now training my eyes to be focused on the birdie all the time (which is really hard, phew!) Well, in short, there is a lot of work to be done...

Well, one difficulty is that I have no one to train with. I can only do shadow practice and footwork drills and the like, but no actual hitting :( I don't know what I can do about that.

AND NOW MY REAL PROBLEM:
    I seem to find it really hard to be accurate. I find that I am able to get into good positions, but very often I end up hitting the birdie just out or just below the tape into the net. It is very frustrating because I am not missing by much. It may be because I've been so used to using just the standard grip and gripping the racquet real hard, and now that I am varying my grip and learning to hold the racquet more loosely I am finding it hard to direct my shots properly. Maybe my wrist is not angled correctly..??

Also, now I'm focusing my eyes on the birdie all the time and not looking at the spot I want to hit it to (like I used to), I keep missing the lines.

Someone also suggested that I might be suffering from micro-tiredness (this term is my invention :p) due to overtraining...???

Anyway, what would you advise a player to do who can do a lot better but consistently misses the lines or hits into the net??

2. druss

druss Regular Member

It just takes practice. Just like knowing the lines on the court to determine whether something is going to go out based on where you are. A training partner would help you with accuracy because what you need to do is hit the shots over and over again to gain confidence on accuracy. In game you just get frustrated which is not the state you want to be in for training. You need someone with 10-15 shuttles hitting them to you and you just concentrating on good contact, then you see where the shots have landed and make corrections.

3. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

muscle memory man
    just gotta do shots repeatedly so your body "remembers" how hard to hit the birds, and where to hit.