User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default XD sucks! or maybe it's just me :D

well the comp is over and i SUCKED at XD! hard to get muscle memory by reading although i tried my best hehe.

I felt completely useless at the net and wasn't able to get any good shots in... couldn't intercept any cross courts either.

it was weird.. altho in theory my partner and i individually were better than the guy and girl opponents respectfully (at singles).. we still got thrashed thanks to me

btw r there any girls out there who like playing mixed and playing at the net? can someone explain to me the fun in that? i'm still grouching after today's experience and how much i suck
    thanks again everyone for the replies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo123 View Post
    well the comp is over and i SUCKED at XD! hard to get muscle memory by reading although i tried my best hehe.

I felt completely useless at the net and wasn't able to get any good shots in... couldn't intercept any cross courts either.

it was weird.. altho in theory my partner and i individually were better than the guy and girl opponents respectfully (at singles).. we still got thrashed thanks to me

btw r there any girls out there who like playing mixed and playing at the net? can someone explain to me the fun in that? i'm still grouching after today's experience and how much i suck
    thanks again everyone for the replies!
    Lol staying at net is fun especially waiting for the halfcourts or instant-kill shot. Maybe you don't know if your partner in mix is weak then it is advised for her to stay in front if not then the 2 of you will move according to how the rally develops.

Lots of people misunderstand that girls have to stay at the front because guy's smash are stronger but instead you change positions from front to back accordingly depending on the situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NoRice4U View Post

Lots of people misunderstand that girls have to stay at the front because guy's smash are stronger but instead you change positions from front to back accordingly depending on the situation.
    Spot on mate.... Usually I will encourage the female to take the front when attacking and take half the court when defending.

Actually I don't mind playing the front if my partner can cover the back... Usually this keeps the opponent under pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weeyeh View Post
    1. Stay about 1 foot behind the short service line and on the same side as your attacking partner; ...
    This is worth highlighting. A lot of people stand too close to the net. The closer you are, the less time you have to react--you can end up just being a spectator as the shuttle whizzes past you on either side. If you take a step back, you'll find you have more chance to intercept the shuttle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Scoobydoo and all,
    I'm a girl, been playing for a few years, both mixed and ladies doubles.
    I would probably say that i'm more comfortable playing at the back than at the front. In mixed though, we rotate our positions so that when we are attacking I go to the front and when defending we go sides. (I understand in mixed the lady is supposed to go diagonal to the person who is attacking to defend the crosscourt smash/drop, giving her more time to react – though a lot of men I play with don’t know this and so we defend more like level doubles) I find that to be effective at the front your partner needs to be attacking (i.e. smashing or dropping – NOT clearing and lifting) to force a weak reply which you would then kill at the net.

Your partner is attacking as much as possible from the back right?
    That way it forces the opposing team to go in a defensive formation thus are in a weaker position to attack and the net lady would be further from the net and less threatening.

Also don’t blame yourself entirely. I would say that adjusting from level doubles to traditional mixed is more difficult for the man as they are actually responsible for more of the shots. Plus theoretically they are supposed to be doing all the smashing from the back so need a lot of stamina.

From my experience there are some men who are always quick to point the finger at the woman when they lose. Recently I played with a guy who was constantly clearing the shuttle to the guy in the other team who has a strong smash, even when he was in a position to attack. Thus – me expecting to go in the attacking formation had to go back to the defensive formation to defend these return smashes. We lost in the end – and then he had the audacity to say it was my fault cos I should be staying at the front at ALL times.

If you are a strong woman player and can take shots at the back – keep playing how you would normally play but try go to the front when you are attacking to prevent them from isolating you at the back. However in the meantime keep practicing the mixed formation and your net play and when you’re both comfortable then play that formation.
    There’s no point jumping from method straight to another when you are both unfamiliar with it. It will make you both play worse – which is what I suspect happened in your tournament.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orangeblossom View Post
    We lost in the end – and then he had the audacity to say it was my fault cos I should be staying at the front at ALL times.
    Not only was he wrong tactically, but also following his advice would have turned you into a target. If the opponents are attacking hard, it can actually be dangerous to stand right at the front (as you may get hit in the eye).

Sadly this kind of rubbish is common in mixed doubles at club level. I find it frustrating when coaching adult players, as the poor women have been force-fed these idiotic positional ideas by their men partners, who often just want them to "stay out of the way".

Thankfully some women, such as yourself, have the confidence to ignore this "coaching" and take part properly in the rallies.

But it's hard work persuading the others, who have been told (sometimes bullied!) over many years to stick their noses on the net and not move from that position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rotation is key but if you plan on playing more mixed then get comfortable at the net.

Maybe in doubles make an effort to go to the net more often and try to control the net. There won't be as much pressure in womens doubles to make the perfect shot to it's a good time to practice net play.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2