Switching hands with one racquet

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by KonorGrieve, Nov 24, 2009.

1. KonorGrieve

KonorGrieve New Member

Long story short,
    Im doing higher PE and were now doing badminton and years ago when I first started playing badminton I learned to serve with my left hand but realised I couldn't play any shots with my left hand and now I serve with my left hand then switch hands to my right for the rest of the rally. Whereas the other teachers didn't care this one insists it is illegal and is going to fail me if i continue to do it. Is this illegal and if it is legal how can I prove it is legal
    Any Replies Much appreciated

#1 KonorGrieve, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. druss

druss Regular Member

It is legal simply because there is no rule against it. Download the laws of badminton search it.

http://www.worldbadminton.com/rules/documents/ibflaws2006a.pdf

I actually played against a guy that would regularly switch the racket from one hand to another during a tournament, the officials allowed it so I don't see how a PE coach shouldn't. This is actually a handicap. To be honest, you should learn how to serve with your right hand but doing so is not a fault.

#2 druss, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  3. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    I agree with druss, he's got it right on the money. When I first started, I had the crazy idea to be like Ryoma from Prince of Tennis, be ambidextrous. So I play leftie against newbies, but its always rightie once things get serious.

4. KonorGrieve

KonorGrieve New Member

Thanks very much guys :D

5. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    One question, how did you learn serving with your left hand? I assume your right hand is the dominant one. If it is, I don't think it will take long for you to learn serving with your right hand.