Yonex smasher's Armortecs review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Blitzzards, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Hi guys, after owning and testing Yonex's top 3 smasher's Armortecs, namely AT700 old colour, AT800 Offensive and AT900 Power, I now feel like reviewing my experiences with them.

The overall feel among these models are as follows:

Head heaviness comparison: AT800OF > AT700 > AT900
    N.B. The comparison may look significant, but the truth is the head heaviness feel is only a very slight few millimeters difference among the models. This is only an average view, as there are some minor cases where lets say the AT700 can be more head heavy than the AT800OF (the most head heavy AT700 in my collection is actually slightly more head heavy by 1.5mm than my least head heavy AT800OF).

Armortec 800 Offensive
    As you can see, the AT800OF has the heaviest feel on the frame (in this case it's all the way at the top of the round and fat frame) which facilitates full arm swing and a steep but not necessarily fast smash since the heaviness makes it slightly hard to add in explosive wrist flick to the smashes (which generates the speed smash, AFAIK). The smash action associated with the racquet also makes it feel as if you're about to bury your arm into the floor after the smash, which makes it feel like a 2U racquet although by design it is a 3U. Otherwise, since it has the stiffest shaft of the three, it is quick on drives and defenses, provided that you have not been tired out by the head weight. This could be a reason why the professional players tend to forgo this racquet as it really tests your consistency and stamina to the limit.

Armortec 700
    Here, we have the AT700 (old colour), and from my experience it is the most balanced of the three. Most people tend to overlook the good qualities of the racquet because of the head heaviness but this racquet is actually very well designed IMHO. When I first switched, it felt like a live beast on my hand; very mysteriously dangerous and needs taming, unlike the other two which felt as if their personalities are stamped on their faces from which I could work my gameplay from. Despite the head heaviness, the racquet is actually very maneuverable, although I think the Ultimum Ti composite on the shaft tends to want to store my wrist flicks even during defensive flicks which may give the feel of being flexible and hard to control for some. Smashing wise this racquet does not need anymore introduction; it awards the full arm swing plus explosive wrist flick dearly for the hardest smash spectacle (if you can do it, IMHO I'm still half way there) while also being more forgiving stamina-wise than the AT800OF if you rely on wrist flick smashes. It is a mysterious racquet to master but once you get there, it feels to me like a dear friend rather than a "pet" :p

Armortec 900 Power
    While ants has already reviewed this racquet, I feel that I can add in some more details on my experience with it. Of the three, this is the most forgiving. Perhaps because of the new Micro Ti and Elastic Ti technological features, the racquet feels the most repulsive (raw POWER, get it?). This means that I don't have to put in as much strength to achieve the same flick shots I can do with the other two. This then leads me to play more defensively or deceptively with the racquet. Otherwise, the racquet does pack a lot of raw power which I feel that I can unleash easily in the middle of a rally. Smashing wise, this is a more wrist flick racquet than the AT700.

In conclusion, my favourite of the three is the AT700 (old colour). I like the way that it feels the most balanced out of the three. Of course there are days when I will rely on the AT900 Power when I feel like playing a bit more defensive and deceptive and also when I feel that I'm having a sugar rush, the AT800 Offensive will be my pick for going all out. Most importantly, the three racquets will eventually all play similar when yielded in my hand, since it is my technique and my form which will ultimately influence the racquet rather than the other way around (in other words, the racquets are only designed to facilitate gameplay not dictate it). I hope I have answered the enquiries of those who have questions on the racquet features I have covered here. Please do reply with more enquiries if you have them and I'll do my best to answer them.

2. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    Really nice review!

3. Xushi

Xushi Regular Member

being a teen haha.
    loving it,
    good detail and depth!

4. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hey bro: think about it, if armotec 700 old color is not the best , Lin Dan will not use it for so long , even new models of yonex rackets are out!

5. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I don't completely agree with your statement...you can't use Lin Dan as an example since not everyone feels the same about the AT700. I've used all of the above but I prefer the 900P myself.

6. PapA_xlonG

PapA_xlonG Regular Member

Student
    I agree with ryim. There are too many factors when you select a racket.

Age, skills, playing style, so there is no best racket.

7. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    I'm an Armortec big fans.Owning most of the arcs,nanos,muscles,carbs,iso,TI, i still prefer what armortec offers me when playing in a game.The feel during smash,no one can offer the better feel than armortec.But there are some models of AT that i dont really like,since they're purely offensive,and cannot offer a good control n defensive,which is the new 700 and 700 ltd.Those racket r too slow,maybe only dedicated to those big smasher on the back.And i also have found new underdog good AT,which is the old blue AT300.Great racket it is..So,my fave AT r still the 700 old and 900P..n the new discovered old blue 300.

#7 Smichz, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  8. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I read this sentence and it made my day :p

But I agree with the ^ post, being an ex fan of the AT series. The only drawback was the speed but then there were models which were faster (ie. AT900T) but strictly only playing doubles has made me move to more even balanced rackets.

9. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    Maybe it is just me, but do you guys feel that only mp99 and armortec series (700 new and 900) has very gd frame stability? For arcsaber10, ti10 or nanospeed 9900(Tried my frens), you can feel the distortion in the feel. Not solid like armortec and mp99 series. Anyone with experience too?

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

You're not the first person to mentioned that, a few of my mates also said the same thing. Unfortunately I've never tried MP99 before for e real test, so Im really courious about it.

11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Well said and thanks for the info

GO SYDNEYSIDER!!

;)

12. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    You guys do know that Frerekkiko swears with his life that whatever Lin Dan uses is the best right? Since he's the best player in the world lols.

13. huangxl

huangxl Regular Member

Student
    Lol, lin dan is good with any racket. It is his physical power that is scary. the way he jump from mid court to intercept a clear to smash it down the line. That's scary. I think he prefers his racket to be longer shaft to create a better angle and flex for smashing those shuttles. Anyway what is best for lin dan is not best for the rest. Lin Dan 's gf is xie xing fang, does this means my chick has to be like her too? :)

14. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    OH gosh I hope not.

15. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    I feel that u cant give any racket to Lin dan , i believe when armotec 900 power was out , yonex got give Lin dan to try , but Lin dan feels that this racket the feel was not there and the issue is not as stiff as armotec 700 old color... If bros here, can remember, Lin dan was using armotec 700 new color at this year all England until the final vs lee chong wei, then he switch back to his MOST POWERFUL weapon armotec 700 old color, Spec HEAD HEVY RACKET & EXTRA STIFF.

16. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

bro, just wait till you try your hands on a IP coded YY racket then you'll know what is gd frame stability...;)

17. LeeCW

LeeCW Regular Member

Engineer
    you must be happy with the T ipcoded:D

18. LeeCW

LeeCW Regular Member

Engineer

No wonder AT900P lost to old AT700 in the Olimpic:p

Old AT 700 two times OG hor:D

19. issarakaya

issarakaya Regular Member

Operational Dir.
    How could you know about LD feel ? :confused:
    For me AT900P slighty more stiff than AT700 old but AT700 old slighty more head heavy....:)

20. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    unless i have some really bad at700 first gens, or you've never used a stiff racket.