My strings snapped what should i replace them with ?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by LD rules!, Nov 25, 2009.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

hi
    Yesterday my strings snapped :D:D allowing me to change them to something else the only ones avaiable in the UK are BG65, BG65ti, BG68ti, BG80 and NBG95i have decided i do not want ti coated strings and NBG95 are way too expensive so its between BG80 and BG65 u want more power and I know that BG80 are thinner but what do you think i should get ? At the moment i am thinking more about getting BG80 than BG65 but 90% of the people i know use BG65
    P.s. I am planing on ordering BG66 from my badminton store soon but need to use something until then

2. zyxjk

zyxjk New Member

If its that soon you may as well use BG65 and save a few $ ;D

3. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Where are you planning to buy from and what quantity? Are you stringing the racket?
    Try www.watdon.co.uk. Seem to be one of the cheapest around.

I'm using Ashaway Zymax 67 at the moment. Have used 65ti, 68ti, Nanogy 95, 70pro in the past.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i called watdon and they seem to only be interested in selling to wholesale to shops or registered stringers. i mentioned i wanted to string some racquets on my own but they said they don't do normal retail.

5. pussiii999

pussiii999 Regular Member

chef
    yes to save $$$$ but it will take a decade to break them ....... :D:D:D:D

6. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

if I remember correct, BG80 costs about the same as BG65 in UK. I would vote for BG80, which is a bit similar to BG66 you are getting.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I am planning on ordering :
    2x BG66
    2x NBG98
    2x BG85
    2x BG70 pro

Whatever one I prefer the most out of the list of 4 above I am going to buy 10 packets of the string I am going to be using 24lbs of tension
    Would I be right in saying that www.mybadmintonstore.com is the cheapest and most effiecent place to order equipment from ?

8. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    is it ngb95 or 98 that only really performs at 26lbs or more?

oh and i noticed on your profile that u say you use 21lbs if so then i wouldnt jump straight to 24lbs id say 23lbs max

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I am using 21lbs on my AT900t because it is still factory strung and hence It isn't at the tension I would like
    I usually use 23lbs but would like to increase to 24lbs soon to have more control and also because sometimes my clears go too far
    I have been using 22/23lbs recently and have found it fine so I think a small increase will be ok

10. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    yeh sorry thats fine i was just checking it wasnt a big jump to prevent possible injury 1lb increase will be fine

noppy

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

24lbs I feel is a good tension, not too high that the racket will break on a mishit but not too low that the strings will be really loose
    Can anyone tell me if they know how well BG 80 retain tension ? Giving how many hours on average played ?
    Thanks

12. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    i have personally only tried it on odd occassion, good string.

for tension loss have a browse through the reviews sections theres a fair amount of info on each string

13. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I have brought stuff from Watdon before absolutely fine, I am by no means a qualified stringer or a shop. Although other people have had this problem, did you phone or e-mail? People who e-mailed had the problem a while ago.

I would personally go for zymax 62, however this isn't recommended if all you do is smash. I am an ok local league player, I broke it in 2 months, at 23 lbs by 25lbs. This did include one horrific mishit though, which damaged it after the first week. Spare racket still holding up fine after 3 weeks, with no sign of damage yet. Feels really hard though, yet repulsive.

I went back to bg80 on the racket the string snapped on and no longer like it, nowhere near as much control. I find bg 80 to lose tension quite quickly, whoever strings it, yet I seem to be the only one in my area who has this problem. I might need to restring it higher than the zymax which may improve things a bit. But I really liked the zymax so might get some for Christmas, if someone will buy it and not laugh at me :D

Nanogy 95 is good, yet not liked much by most of my friends. Quite a soft feel and slightly slippery, but it works.

BG65ti I don't really like, but I do like bg68ti, which is to do with string thickness I think.

To summarise a bit after using zymax other strings feel really soft and loose, which I'm not too keen on. Most have been stringing zymax lower than their usual tension, bg80 usually 1-2lbs lower, so maybe zymax 2-3lbs lower?

It's up to you though, smash a lot, thicker string so it won't break. Control game? Then go thinner. Or smash a lot? Use thin string but restring it often!