Cloth grip... pretty good?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by bigredlemon, Nov 14, 2002.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

My hands usually get pretty sweaty when I play, so after a few games, I have to wipe my hand and racquet handle on my shirt. Yesterday, to save time, I simply wrapped the my shirt around the handle, and held the eapped handle in my hard, so i'm drying both the grip and hand at the same time. Oddly enough, it felt pretty good. Damn good actually... much prefered over my racquet's original grip.

I havent tried a towel grip yet but i think this would be better than a towel grip because
    - u don't lose as much feeling
    - the grip size doesn't change much
    - not so soft that it's hard to hold loosely

Do they even make cloth grips? Bald-towel grip, if there's such a thing:confused: ?

I would have tried out the makeshift cloth-grip for a few games, but then i'd have to take off my shirt to be able to swing, and that'd leave me topless :eek:

2. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Alternatively, you can apply those lotion to dry your hands.

3. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    get an old shirt and cut up pieces of it and use them as wraps for the handle. Improvise. :D

4. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    well if ur hands get that sweaty and you keep holding on to a cloth grip on your racquet, chances are the grip will be very sweaty by the end of the game..
    actually, i do have a cloth grip.. it comes from china.. and its a stretchy material.. its just like a sheath for the handle.. but i dont' use it cuz it doens't feel good and my hands dont' sweat.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    BRL, can you elaborate on the "damn good"? :)

if it really is so good. i think it is possible to make a replacealbe or even disposable cloth grip: have a layer of sticky material underneath, slide this cloth grip on top, whenever it gets too wet, slide it out, slide a new one in and leave the old one to dry. have 10 of these in the bag everytime...

6. bigredlemon

Yea... maybe I'll have to dig a up an shirt that I don't wear, but seems like a lot of work though. I think there are companies that make cloth grips. Not like that the one TOmike said though. It was more like a conventional grip style (long peice of cloth with sticky stuff under.) Yet to seen it being sold anywhere though, even online...

7. bigredlemon

I never realized my heads sweat with the old grip (felt/polymer combo). What grip do you use now?

8. bigredlemon

It was great... i could feel the handle as though the cloth wasn't even there, didn't affect feeling. All the sweat got soaked up, so no more slipperness, so i could hold the racquet more losely. It also felt really comfortable (soft, but not too soft.)

9. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    actually BRL.. i dont' use that grip.. its uncomforatble and very cushiony so u dont' feel like you're holding something stable..
    i use black knight super wrap i think.. my friend sold it to me.. and its quite nice.. its not cloth though.. its some plastic sticky grip and i like the feel.. plus it comes in crazy colours.. i have a nice blue one :p i've had it for a few weeks now and it hasn't really worn at all.. but then again, i only play around 2 days of the week. and i don't get sweat on my hands.

10. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    hey BRL, why don't you just give towel grip a try? Take out the original grip first so it won't get too bulky. I just started using towel grip again and since my hand is rather sweaty, I find it really useful in helping me with the grip. The kind I got is Victor towel grip bought from www.badminton.net @ $22 / roll (good for about 12 times)

11. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

The simplest and the cheapest is to make your won towel grip. That is what i do. It is very easy to make and as to the sweat factor, there are very few in the world who actually sweat in their palms. Most times the sweat runs down from teh arm through the wrist and makes your grip wet. I fu try to wear a Wrist band which will soak up teh sweat then u will find the difference.

12. bigredlemon

I guess the cushiony aspect depends on the type of cloth then. I just added Wilson Chushion-Aire overwrap, which is soft and grippy, kind of like what you described. I guess it suits you better than me because i hate it. It's too soft and grippy, which makes it harder to let the handle "sweivel" during a smash. The cushion really takes away the feeling in the racquet, even though the grip is labelled as "super thin." My original grip (Black Knight competition) is very smooth and hard, btw.

jwu: i was thinking about towel grips, but the clerk at the sports store didn't even knew what that was. I just found a store that sells towel grips for $3.50 CAN, which is in the same prince range as yours with shipping. Or maybe I won't need it afterall, as Yogi pointed out, maybe all i need is a wrist band.

Btw, am I the only one that considers a soft and grippy overgrip a bad thing?