Houston

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Cheung, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Just curious.

Saw on the news that Houston, Texas has a high immigrant population.

Much badminton played there?

2. coupii

coupii Regular Member

Physician
    Hi Cheung,

Since moving to Houston, I have been pleasantly surprised at the number and the
    quality of badminton being played here, not just in Houston but in Texas in general.
    There are many levels, from beginner to professional (mostly retired I think). There
    are also a lot of tournaments to play in. I don't know how Texas would compare to
    Cali but I would assume there is more badminton in California, although I would not
    be speaking from experience. It is easy to find places to play if you are in Houston.

3. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Of what nationality? Most of the immigrants in Texas are from Mexico. I know badminton is played in Mexico.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Re: Houston

It was stated there were a sizable proportion of Vietnamese, then later China and Taiwan immigrants

5. coupii

coupii Regular Member

Physician
    Cheung, you are correct. I have been told that Houston has the second largest population of Vietnamese in the US (no hard figures here, just what I've heard). There are also a lot of Asians from other countries, including China and Taiwan. There are some Indonesians playing here. While the numerical majority of immigrants is certain to be from Mexico, there is still quite a sizable Asian population. Unfortunately, I don't think I have bumped into any Mexican badminton players in Houston, although I think there might be a few in San Antonio or elsewhere.

Regards,
    coupii

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I used to live in Houston and Texas. I used to play in a gym near downtown Houston, and a club in North Dallas. And each major college has their own badminton club, and each school have their open tournments every year. When I was there, UT Austin had the better badminton players mainly from Indonesia and Malaysia. University of Houston and Texas Tech also have very good badminton players. One year, there came a ex-Taiwan national team player (reserve) to our college. He beated everybody else easily. So I can tell there is still a big difference between pros and amateurs.