Is BAM putting to much pressure on Lee Chong Wei?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Nov 26, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i would say that they didnt have the ability to manage things well
    lack of planning and ability to think far;)

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Is BAM putting too much pressure on Lee Chong Wei?

:eek::eek::eek: Just found typo error. Title should read:
    Is BAM putting too much pressure on Lee Chong Wei?

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Relying too much on LCW also.;)

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BAM is relying too much on LCW

I agree.

IMHO, BAM must give LCW an opportunity to earn his good prize $ reward at the 2009 SS Finals. And after that event, let him rest; and not requiring him to represent Malaysia at the SEA Games.

Yes, unfortunately, BAM is relying too much on LCW.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

After reading that article..

..i get the feeling LCW's obligations for both events are different:
    The SSMF seems to be LCW's duty to fulfill obligations to the sponsors/fans/MAS as the host.
    The SEAG seems to be LCW's duty to fulfill obligations to BAM.

7. majyun

majyun Regular Member

Just read some news form some website

http://sports.ynet.com/view.jsp?oid=58710152
    source: Ynet.com

Summary:

Although LCW has expressed his enthusiasm in participating in China Badminton League, BAM's president (Guo Chee Keong,吴志强>not sure abt the English spelling) told the press that LCW needs permission from the national association to participate in the league. From what it was reported in the press, it seems that 吴志强 is not very keen of letting LCW participate in the China Badminton League, stating that LCW has a busy schedule ahead of him(Asian Games,Thomas Cup, WC and Super Series event). In contrast, Misbun shown support and encourage LCW to play in the league in China, stating that there are no good sparring partners for LCW back home.

The feeling I got from reading the above article is, BAM is trying to milk as much as they can from LCW while he is still playing in the pro circuit. They certainly did not give much thought on how to further develop LCW as a top player in the long run. I felt as if they dont really care much on what will happen to LCW(or give him good rest in between tournaments) as long as he can continue to produce results(even if it's just SS events). Not only they are putting unnecessary pressure on LCW(force LCW to participate in SEA?Who's gives a damn about SEA games anyway except PBSI and BAM?) , they are putting obstacles on LCW's path to progress as a player as they are [1] tiring him out [2] not giving him a better environment to train in(not helping him to play in China).

In a way, I feel that this is a pity as I can foresee that LD is still going to be the dominant figure in MS in the next few years as BAM is not too concern on training LCW up to face LD. Thanks to BAM's short-sighted visions, I am relieve because I feel that China can continue be the dominant figure in MS in the future. On the other hand, I feel really sad as a badminton fan as I feel that I won't be seeing much of a thrilling match between LD and LCW should they meet again in the future.

#7 majyun, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hell yeah
    i pretty much agree with ur view;)

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    too many bosses:D

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Just like LD is obliged to participate in the The East Asia Games on behalf of China's Badminton Association. I see no difference between LD's and LCW's situations in this case.

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Ask yourself this question: would LCW be where he is without BAM?

12. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

You are completely missing the point. It's not a question of whether LCW should play in Sea games or not.

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

It is part of the point. If LCW was not contracted to BAM, his commitment to the Sea Games wouldn't be an issue. In this case, BAM is flexing its muscle and putting pressure on LCW to participate.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei was in two minds over competing in the 2009 SEA Games

However, LCW had expressed some concerns. From the article, it's reported that;

"Chong Wei had expressed concerns as the SEA Games competitions (Dec 10-17) will be held four days after the completion of the Masters Finals (Dec 2-6). Having recovered fully from a left knee injury recently, Chong Wei feared it would act up again and was in two minds over competing in Laos".

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Things like a knee injury can't be predicted. When the dates for these events were announced, LCW didn't seem to have qualms about participating in both. If he's so concerned about his knee, he can take it easier in the SS Finals and go full bore in the SEA games.

I bet LCW will not be fielded in the early stages of the team competition as MAS's opposition will be easy (I haven't seen the draw yet). That will give him a couple of extra days' rest.

16. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Also LCW has signed separate deal as well with Yonex himself...

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    mas direct enter semis:)
    yes
    before meeting ina,lcw can rest(IF BAM DARE REST HIM)
    what a pity;)

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A worried player: Lee Chong Wei fears his knee will act up again

Perhaps we should post the full article here (from The Star Online, 25-Nov-2009):
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2009/11/25/sports/5175289&sec=sports

====== * ====== * ====== start article ====== * ====== * ======

Chong Wei committed to Masters Finals and SEA Games

By LIM TEIK HUAT

PETALING JAYA: It will be another major test of world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei’s resolve when he makes the attempts to retain the Super Series Masters Finals title and to win the SEA Games individual gold medal for the first time.

Chong Wei has committed to play in the back-to-back competitions after discussions with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) management on his return from the China Open in Shanghai on Monday.

[​IMG]
    A worried player: Chong Wei, who fears his knee will act up again, will be playing the Super Series Masters Finals and days later at the Laos SEA Games.

National singles coach Rashid Sidek said that Chong Wei would travel with the badminton squad to Vientiane for the SEA Games as scheduled on Dec 8 after competing in the Masters Finals in Johor Baru.

Chong Wei had expressed concerns as the SEA Games competitions (Dec 10-17) will be held four days after the completion of the Masters Finals (Dec 2-6). Having recovered fully from a left knee injury recently, Chong Wei feared it would act up again and was in two minds over competing in Laos.

Chong Wei skipped the Opens in Denmark and French Opens last month and made a successful comeback by bagging his first Hong Kong Open title two weeks ago. But he suffered a first-round defeat by Dane Jan Jorgensen in the China Open.

“We discussed with his coach (Misbun Sidek) that he will play in the team and individual events in the SEA Games,” said Rashid.

“He will be okay as he is not carrying any injury. Besides, we will only play our first tie in the team competition on Dec 12 as we have a direct entry into the semi-finals as the top seeds.

“Moreover, the chances are that we need Chong Wei more for the final the following day when we will should be meeting Indonesia.

“It is the individual competition where we hope Chong Wei will secure his first individual SEA Games gold medal as the draw looks good for him,”

Chong Wei should have no problem clearing the first two rounds to reach the semi-finals where he will play against either Simon Santoso of Indonesia or Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand.

If Chong Wei makes the final, he will be up against Vietnamese dangerman Nguyen Tien Minh or top Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro, who has a first-round match against Malaysia’s Mohd Hafiz Hashim.

Chong Wei led Malaysia to claim the team gold medal in the 2005 Manila Games but only managed to win the individual bronze.

Rashid added there is also no choice but for Chong Wei to feature in the Masters Finals to fulfill the obligations to the sponsors and also the home fans.

“We are hosting the tournament and the fans will want to see him in action in Johor Baru,” he added.

Chong Wei is the top men’s singles qualifier for the Masters Finals, which feature eight players.

====== * ====== * ====== end article ====== * ====== * ======

19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Huh? Enter the semi finals directly? That was easy. Hw will therefore have a few extra days' rest as other teams duke it out in the early rounds

20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Or rather NSC putting pressure on BAM, in turn BAM pressure LCW. Target for BAM this yr is 2 SEA Games gold. The decision makers are more concerned abt SEA Games than SS FInals as more is at stake for them. SS FInals, for players yes, there's the money.

In any case, KKK/TBH, WPT/CEH also in same boat, + KKK/TBH played until finals of CHina Open.Just LCW has this extra "recovering knee injury" reason.
    Chris@ccc, actually the Star article is mild already, the reporter support LCW. You can search & read the malay press, ehem....more interesting. They question why didnt LCW withdraw China Open instead SEA Games.;):p

LCW original statement he didnt say he wanted to withdraw totally from SEA but from 1 event : individual. SEA has team & Individual.

#20 eaglehelang, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009