Good players in Singapore?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Xuser, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    I haven't been back to Singapore for close to 10yrs now. I noticed there are a few regular Singaporeans in this forum. Can someone enlighten me as to the standard of the national team in S'pore?

2. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    errr....

tell me how are we supposed to answer that question?
    errr... the sg national team can trash club player and can give international players some resistance....

how are we supposed to answer you?

3. modious

modious Regular Member

The standard of the national badminton team in Singapore is generally rising.
    Now R.Susilo, Hendra, Kendrick are showing more promise.... I think it's due to Mulyo Handoyo being the Singles coach now.

X.Luxi and Li Li are also rising up....

But how far can these players go.... well, I seriously don't know! Let them prove themselves and we shall see!

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Xuser

A decade is a long time. Hope you can visit soon to see things for yourself.

I must say there is now some hope for Singapore badminton judging by recent results in the international scene.

As commented by Modious, our Indonesian (Men) and Chinese (Ladies) imports are now creating some waves. The Singapore Men's Team got a silver medal and our Lady shuttler, Li Li, became the Singles Champion at the Commonwealth Games in July. Against all odds, Ronald Susilo scalped Hendrawan, Gopichand and Wong Choon Hann at the five-star Singapore Open, only to lose to Chen Hong in the Finals. Ronald managed to proceed to the QF of the just concluded Asian Badminton Championships losing to Taufik Hidayat, who in turn lost surprisingly to compatriot, 18-year old upstart, Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the Finals. Sony had earlier demolished Chen Hong in the Semis. Then at the recent World Junior Championships in Pretoria, South Africa, local born and bred, 18-year old Poly studen Kendrick Lee, became Singapore's first finalist, effectively World No. 2, losing out to a Chinese in the end. And Xiao Luxi, now 20 years old, who came to Singapore, like Li Li, five years ago, recently beat 1998 Asian Games champion, now ranked World No. 11, Kanako Yonekura of Japan at the Asian Badminton Championships and a higher ranked Chinese in the quarter finals before losing to China's World No 4, Zhou Mi, whom I rate as the best women's singles player now.

Now this gives an idea of Singapore's current standard. But we do not have them in great numbers. Admittedly, most of the names that I have mentioned are all from overseas, but they came here as teenagers and our system nurtures them to what they are today. It would appear that what our Badminton Association is doing currently is bearing fruit as it has slowly attracted local teen talents to turn professional. Kendrick will have to decide soon whether to do so as well. Kendrick is able to raise his standards largely because he has foreign sparring partners like Ronald, who, by the way is now a Singapore citizen.

Our goal is to be able to put up a team in the final rounds of the Thomas Cup in 2012, therefore our focus is on school children in their early teens. A fully-equipped Sports School, which specializes in key sports which we think we can excel in, will be ready by 2004 and, you guessed it, badminton is one of them! This school will have a special curriculum which enables talented students to spend more time in their respective sports and yet get personalized tuition in core academic subjects to help them grow intellectually and prepare for work after their sports career.

So, right now, our national badminton standard is getting closer, but not quite there yet, to our well known neighbours, Malaysia and Indonesia. which have a long badminton tradition and are world-class. Give us a few more years and I'm sure we will be much better than today, assuming that our leaders, both in government and in sports, continue to have the same passion and commitment as they are now.

5. modious

modious Regular Member

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think you must have read this morning's Straits Times that Ronald has lost again to Taufik, 10-15, 8-15, his fourth successive loss, despite having beaten Wong Choong Hann, Malaysia (recently World No. 1), Anders Boersen, Denmark (World No. 6), and Thailand's top shuttler, Boonsak Polsana - all in straight games in this IBF recognized tournament. As reported, Ronald's best performance against Taufik was during his first encounter in the Asia Cup last May. when he lost in a titanic battle 17-16, 14-17, and 16-17. Ronald's matches with Chen Hong of China were similar. He lost all four encounters.

And to think that Ronald had consistently beaten Taufik when they were trainees at Jakarta's famous Jaya Raya Club about 10 years' ago! This club has apparently produced champions like Susi Susanti and Bambang Suprianto, apart from Taufik.

Ronald must get out of his mental block if he wants to avenge defeats by both Taufik and Chen Hong. This is why I said mental strength training is becoming increasingly more important and relevant for Ronald and other Singapore players who aspire to be world champions.

The Batam Masters was specially organized for eight of the world's top shuttlers to commemorate the opening of a new badminton complex which will host the Indonesian Open next June. As has been the case in the past, you have to be there to soak in the electrifying atmosphere of a badminton "crazy" nation like Indonesia. Foreign competitors will not only have to beat their Indonesian opponents on the court but also the partisan and vocal supporters in the gallery. I hope to be there since Batam is less than an hour away from Singapore by ferry..

7. azmi

azmi Regular Member

accountant
    Singapore - New Power

Give Singapore another 3-5 years, soon they be Inter team SEA Games Champion !