what strings do pros use?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by hhppyy, Nov 15, 2002.

1. hhppyy

hhppyy Regular Member

what strings do pros use?

2. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    bg65... it's the thickest string, so when they string it at high tensions 28-32lbs, it wont break that easily...

the string is decent but then the tension retention is terrible, but then the pros dun care anyway, they are allowed to string their racket for free!

3. gengar

gengar Regular Member

retail manager
    most of the pros use bg65 coz most of them are under yonex contract right?
    the malaysian national players use gosen strings coz they're sponsored by gosen!

4. hhppyy

hhppyy Regular Member

if the pros are sponsored by Yonex, why they not use higher range strings such as BG88Ti or BG85 ? why they must use BG65?

5. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

most like the feel of the bg65 and also its ability to withstand such high tensions...

i also prefer the bg65 tho but gets expensive restringing it so much heh

6. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Could it also be that it is cheaper to replace BG-65 than BG-88ti. Since they are sponsored racquets and therefore no profit is made directly from the stringing, yonex might as well use its most durable string rather than the best string they have to offer.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what |R|S and ^shaz^ says. the way the pro hits, if they string with bg85 at 30lbs, they will have to change to a new racket after every rally.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't really think the cost of string is a factor.

String is nothing to Yonex. If we can get string under $10, how cheap the string will be to the original manufacture itself? As a big manufacture with mess production, I don't think Yonex will just calculate the difference on these several pennies.

Consider Yonex provide all kinda much more expensive rackets, gear, shoes, etc to pros for free, I really don't think Yonex would like to see their featured players always struggle on court just because of cheaper string. Also, if the sponsor's equipment suck as hell, that will be such a negative image to the company.

Therefore, I don't think cost of the string is a factor at all. I think the idea of "BG65 has better durability" is the main reason.

9. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

yeah thats right, if the players want bg-88ti on their rackets and get em strung every day then they would be able to, they get what the want in return for performing in tournaments and representing Yonex... cost of string is nothing, they must produce like millions of metres of the stuff...

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cost is nothing. bg65 wholesale price in HK is around US$2-3 or so. in some places in China, bg65 strung (including labor) cost around US$2.50. rumor is that $2 is the cost, and $.50 is the labor.

so the cost of a manufacturing a pack of string will be lower than that.

11. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    If a pro would to string w/ Bg-88ti @ 30 lbs on all the racquets, he or she would have to bring like 20-30 racquets to each game or have a lot of stringers next to the court. Durability is definitely the issue here and it would be bad publicity for the string if everyone keep seeing them getting broken. Cost might still be a factor since a pack of BG-88ti is like 3-4 times the cost of BG-65, but yes I agree, it isn't as important as the durability issue.

12. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Hell the way I hit I'd have to change racquets after every rally with bg85 at 30 lbs, of course that'd have more to do with the number of mishits I make ;)

13. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Kwun wrote: in some places in China, bg65 strung (including labor) cost around US$2.50. rumor is that $2 is the cost, and $.50 is the labor.

If only I can get stringing done for US$0.50. I will try all types of strings just for fun. I cannot even get good stringing done in the area with decent tension and mail ordering costs two arms and two legs (and will leave me a limbless zombie playing badminton:D).

Ron

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's true for retail price.

However, each level of dealers gives huge % on the wholesale price to gain profit. Therefore, the original (right out of factory) prices should not have too much difference. For example, maybe $5 vs $15 is huge, but $0.5 vs $1.5 is no big deal any more.

15. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    If direct 1-to-1 comparison then yes it's not a big deal. When durability issue is also considered, 1 BG-65 @ $0.5 will last you a good length of time, where if BG-88Ti breaks after every rally so we say you change 10x a game, that's $15, not $1.5 anymore. That's really my point regarding cost.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I see ur point...

Now, one more reason to stay with BG65 - $$$ saving...

17. modious

modious Regular Member

It has been said....

Reasons why pros use BG65 is because it's durable and because they can restring their racket at any time without paying.

But BG65 looses tension VERY FAST and that's why it's not good for people like us who wants the string NOT TO break so quickly and without the tension dropping drastically.

That's why in the long run, BG65 is still more expensive.....

Actually BG88Ti is 0.69mm. It's just 0.01mm thinner than BG65 (0.70mm). I doubt durability is the issue here. Pros rather stick to something they like and have gotten used to so that they have confidence that everytime they hit the shuttle, it will land at the same spot everytime. Perhaps the newer generation of players will use BG88Ti (0.69mm) and CBG100 (0.70mm).

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Quotes from Canadian Yonex 2002 catalog, one full page feature of bg65
    (canada don't get bg88ti, cbg100, bg75ti, bg95)

Candra Wijaya
    BG65 is my favorite string. The performance is excellent and lasts incredibly long. Ordinary strings quality loste repulsion power and tension very quickly after heated play. But BG65 supports my aggressive style of play to the last. I could never use another string.

Gong Zhichao
    The key of my style of play is 'control'. I have to practice hard to achieve the sensitive placement that makes my opponent give up the chase. BG65's long playability helps a lot. I can transfer my full intention to the shuttlecock - especially on difficult shots like hair-pins and cuts.

19. modious

modious Regular Member

I've also read that before in the Yonex Catalogue. But as I said, they can string their racket anytime and they probabaly string after every game to maintain the string tension.

BG65 DOES looses tension very fast. In fact, Byron used to string his racket after every 2-4 weeks when he used BG65 (strung @ at least 25lbs?). Now he uses BG66 and the tension retention is much better, but it's not very durable....

20. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    rating

when you rate the string on repulsion, control, feel, etc... what exactly is durability? does that mean how well it holds the tension or how long until the string breaks?