Suggestion for this board

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mag, Mar 2, 2001.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Wouldn't it be better if the threads were sorted after their latest reply, instead of their initial creation date? As it is now, many interesting threads die prematurely because after a couple of days they end up too far down on the list, or even on then next page... (How often do YOU visit the next page to check for new replies?)

This would also make it possible to "revive" old threads when new info comes up (or new-comers have something new to contribute).

Just something I have thought about for a while. Technically it shouldn't be too complicated.

What do you guys think?

2. Takumi97

Takumi97 Guest

I think it's a great idea!

3. Mark

Mark Guest

i agree too

4. Phil

Phil Guest

I also agree, because most boards I visit of all types are listed by latest replies.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hi,

thanks for the suggestion! i actually thought of that, but unfortunately, the software that i am using doesn't support sorting by latest post date. i will ping the author and see what can be done. thanks.

-bc

6. Bob

Bob Guest

i noticed one odd thing, when i post a response, and click "post" it goes out to the main listing as supposed to, but the threads only go up to the one i just replied on, meaning i have to click back on my browser a couple times and refresh the page inorder to get a updated list....... i remember it didn't do this before you did that upgrade or something a while back

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    It seems your software is PHP-based. If so, I could figure out how to do it and tell you the changes needed. Where did you get the board software? Is it public domain?

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Mag,

yeah. i am using phorum (www.phorum.org). it is php/mysql based. Phorum users regularly ask for the same feature. but the maintainers haven't done much about it. i remember them saying that it is very hard to do with the way it is layed out right now. i have a bit of php/mysql knowledge. but i am really busy at work lately, and this looks like it will take at least an afternoon if not weekend. so please give it a shot if you can. i can give you a hand if you need any...

kwun

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    OK, I've looked into it now... SQL isn't really in my domain, but PHP is, and from what I could see I agree with you. It is not a trivial fix, due to the structure of Phorum. It seems we'll have to wait til somebody posts a working hack... I guess we can live with that :)

10. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    I suggest a chat section, anyone agree?

11. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I've only looked at one chat room for a minute or two, but I did not find it particularly useful because it was too fast moving. Most of the chatting was in messages of only a few words and by the time I would have tried to type a sentence or two to start a real discussion on an issue, that issue would have been replaced by two or three new ones. Of course, I am probably the most long-winded poster on the BC board, so I recognize that chat rooms are not a particularly suitable forum for me.

12. viver

viver Regular Member

Hi Kwun,
    This place is becoming really busier and busier. Which is a good sign to you, right? There were a few times that I could not even log in or if I succeeded it would sometimes take over a minute to see the thread after I click on it.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    viver,

thansk very much for the feedback. do you notice the same thing too? i think there is problem with the company that host my website. i already filed a request to have them look at it.

kwun