User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Importance of Triceps

Hello! does anyone knows how important the tricep is for badminton? I just realised recently that if my tricep is aching then my swing speed becomes slower and my control is gone..that applies especially for my backhand clear. Anyone agrees with me?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would expect the triceps to have a role in most shots, especially backhands, as it's used to extend the lower arm.

However, I wouldn't say it was one of the most important muscles for badminton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're muscles should be balanced in strength but the average person does not use their tricep very much. Very easy muscle to train with free weights though.

If you've ever weight trained before, you'll quickly find out that if you have week triceps you won't be bench pressing very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    I would expect the triceps to have a role in most shots, especially backhands, as it's used to extend the lower arm.

However, I wouldn't say it was one of the most important muscles for badminton.
    haha whats the most important muscle then?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkai View Post
    haha whats the most important muscle then?
    If I were Mike Woodward, I would say:

"The brain.

...long pause...

Because I consider the brain to be a muscle."

(Sorry Mike, couldn't resist it. For those with no idea what I'm talking about, see the BE technique DVD.)

Er...anyway, I would say that the internal and external rotators in the upper and lower arms are the most important muscles for generating racket head speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha what if i change the question to is the triceps important for the backhand clear?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tricep comes into play in any shot that extends your elbow. Since that is all shots (at least the prep if not the stroke) the tricep must be "important".

The real question is "does the tricep have to be exceptionally strong?"
    My guess is that it has to be toned and quick, rather than mighty and bulky.

-cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    The tricep comes into play in any shot that extends your elbow. Since that is all shots (at least the prep if not the stroke) the tricep must be "important".

The real question is "does the tricep have to be exceptionally strong?"
    My guess is that it has to be toned and quick, rather than mighty and bulky.

-cheers
    im training my triceps now to be strong now haha! especially endurance training.. After a few backhand clears..my triceps gets tired and then swing speed slows down and control is all gone haha!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkai View Post
    im training my triceps now to be strong now haha! especially endurance training.. After a few backhand clears..my triceps gets tired and then swing speed slows down and control is all gone haha!
    This is quite interesting. Please report back on how it goes.

It would be nice to hear what other players and the trainers/ physiotherapists/ kinesiologists of BC have to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My qualified guess would be that the most important of the muscles on your upper arm is actually the biceps.

This is because the muscle that partakes the most in the rotation of the lower arm over your elbow is actually the biceps. Try screwing a screw into a piece of wood if you don't believe me; you'll notice that you'll automatically bend you arm to get force into the rotation, the muscle providing this force is the biceps, which you can notice if you try to screw with a fully extended arm.

This is also why the triceps is of little importance to a badmintonplayer - of course, we do use it, but nowhere near the same amount as we use our biceps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trmun View Post
    My qualified guess would be that the most important of the muscles on your upper arm is actually the biceps.

This is because the muscle that partakes the most in the rotation of the lower arm over your elbow is actually the biceps. Try screwing a screw into a piece of wood if you don't believe me; you'll notice that you'll automatically bend you arm to get force into the rotation, the muscle providing this force is the biceps, which you can notice if you try to screw with a fully extended arm.

This is also why the triceps is of little importance to a badmintonplayer - of course, we do use it, but nowhere near the same amount as we use our biceps.
    what about the deltoids then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The deltoidea muscle is mainly a abducter muscle when the arm is above 45 degrees - the deltoids would therefor take part in holding the racket up.

The deltoidea muscle has also got some rotator function, but compared to the rotator cuff, it's function on the shoulder is quite minimal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume we are talking about endurance here, not peak strength. When playing against a wall (lowish and as quick and forceful as possible), my whole arm aches after a while. So I'd say it is not a single muscle that is important.

I'd say badminton specific training would be the best - that means, playing badminton.

Use some drill where footwork is not included and the ball passes as quick as possible (drives...) and keep that up as long as possible. If you do that regularly, it should be just fine.