Tennis Grand Slams 2010

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by MetalOrange, Dec 3, 2009.

1. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

Murray cancels Christmas in pursuit of first Slam

[​IMG]
    • [​IMG] AFP/File – Tennis star Andy Murray, seen here in June 2009, will train on Christmas Day as he tries to make sure …
    1 hr 41 mins ago
    GLASGOW (AFP) – Tennis star Andy Murray will train on Christmas Day as he tries to make sure 2010 is the year when he wins his first grand slam title.
    Not since Fred Perry won the last of his eight slams in 1936 has a British man triumphed at one of tennis's four premier events - the Australian Open, the French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open.
    Murray 22, reached this year's Wimbledon semi-finals and became the first Briton to win the grass court slam warm-up event at London's Queen's Club since 1938.
    The Scot also spent several weeks at number two in the world rankings and he believes he's still to reach his peak.
    "I always felt I could start playing my best tennis between 23 and 26 so I'm hoping next year is going to be a good year," Murray said at a sponsor's event here on Thursday.
    "I got to number two in the world this year, which is the highest I've ever been in the rankings.
    "I won more tournaments than I did last year and my consistency was way better.
    "The difference in the rankings is winning a grand slam, which is easier said than done, but I think I've got a chance of doing it next year.
    "Within tennis, it's important for me to do it. But there are a lot more things for me to worry about than just a grand slam.
    "I'm going to work as hard as I can and dedicate as much of my time to it as possible. If it happens, it happens.
    "If it doesn't, I'll feel like I'm giving it my best shot by working as hard as I can. If I'm good enough to win one, then I'll do it. If not, I won't. But I'm going to try my best."
    Part of that process involves training with coach Miles Maclagan on Christmas Day.
    "I'll obviously try to do better next year and that's one of the reasons why I'm spending Christmas over in the States and going over to Australia; it's to make sure I'm in the best shape possible going into the grand slams.
    "I'm only going to be with my coach on Christmas Day and he's a little bit of a Scrooge so I'm not sure I'll be getting too many presents!"

2. MetalOrange

Amelie

Former No. 1 Amelie Mauresmo retires from tennis

[​IMG]
    • [​IMG] AP – FILE - In this July 8 2006 file photo France's Amelie Mauresmo holds the Championship plate, after defeating …
    By SAMUEL PETREQUIN, AP Sports Writer Samuel Petrequin, Ap Sports Writer – Thu Dec 3, 8:52 am ET
    ISSY-LES-MOULINEAUX, France – Two-time Grand Slam champion Amelie Mauresmo retired from tennis Thursday, saying she no longer had a burning desire for competition.
    The 30-year-old Frenchwoman is a former No. 1 player who finished this season at No. 21.
    "I don't want to train anymore," Mauresmo said after shedding tears about the decision. "I had to make a decision, which became evident in the last few months and weeks. When you grew older, it's more difficult to stay at the top."
    Mauresmo, who won both of her Grand Slam titles in 2006, at the Australian Open and Wimbledon, said she was happy to leave on a good note after winning her 25th singles title — her first in almost two years — in Paris this season. She also had seven wins over Top 10 players in her final year.
    "It's a bit sad, but this is the right decision," Mauresmo said. "I was lucky enough to have an exceptional career and to experience very strong feelings on the court."
    Mauresmo, who was the No. 1 in 2004, played her last match in the second round of this year's U.S. Open, losing to Aleksandra Wozniak of Canada 6-4, 6-0. She pulled out of her last two tournaments of the year.
    "It became very hard in buildup to the U.S. Open," Mauresmo said. "If I were able to enter the court, play and shine, of course I could continue, but to achieve this you need to put in such hard work. And I'm not capable of that."
    Mauresmo said she has no regrets and feels proud when she looks back at a career that started in 1993.
    "I dreamt of this career, I dreamt of winning a Grand Slam title," she said. "I lifted trophies in every city in the world and I lived 10 magical and unbelievable years."
    Mauresmo, who says she decided to play tennis after watching Yannick Noah win the 1983 French Open, became the first player from France — male or female — to reach the No. 1 spot on Sept. 13, 2004. She held it for five weeks and recaptured it on March 20, 2006, holding it for the majority of that year until falling from the top on Nov. 12. In total, she spent 39 weeks at No. 1.
    But she was never able to emulate Noah's feat of winning on the clay at Roland Garros, failing to go beyond the quarterfinals at the Grand Slam tournament in Paris, where she struggled to withstand the pressure in front of her home crowd.
    Mauresmo also won the Fed Cup with France in 2003 and the WTA Tour championship in 2005. She won the Olympic silver medal in Athens in 2004.
    She had her best season in 2006, winning the Australian Open and Wimbledon with victories over Justine Henin in the finals.
    "Amelie will go down in history as one of the best players of her generation and a terrific ambassador for women's tennis," WTA Tour chairman Stacey Allaster said. "Amelie is an extraordinary player, one of the nicest and friendliest personalities on Tour, and a true champion both in tennis and in life."
    Asked about a possible comeback, Mauresmo said her decision was definitive.
    "Even if I've learned to never say never," the Frenchwoman said. "The players you are thinking about stopped earlier than me before coming back."
    Former No. 1 Henin confirmed in October she'll make her return to the WTA Tour at the Brisbane International — two weeks before the Australian Open. Kim Clijsters won the U.S. Open in September after coming back from two years in retirement.

3. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Seriously i think this guy needs to tone down a bit publicly .......
    When Roger won his first Grand Slam (wimbledon) he came in silently and walking out the grasscourt as the new champion. The same goes to Nadal and Djoker before they won their first slam. Can't Murray just shut his mouth and learn to be a bit more like them?
    HE has been talking non stops on beating Federer, on winning slams since 2008 but yet end results proved he is still a non Slam winner, who talks big a lot.
    If i were him i would rather staff a turkey in my mouth than to staff a racket in my hand on Christmas itself. ..This is just mere cheap public promo.
    Personal 2 cents. It is not Murray's skills or himself that i detest, it is his peronsalities and characters. ;)

4. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Au revoir Amelie. We will miss you. Women tennis has lost another good player.

5. Brooks

Brooks Regular Member

businessman
    that's the way he thinks positive! the problem is, everyone is also thinking positive. so, either you practice, you think positive or you are inately talented. i think roger is inately talented and all others practiced and try to think positive (which is only good if the other player isn't thinking positive--very unlikely).

6. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I can't agree more.

Frankly, I thought 2009 was supposed to be the year of breakthrough for Murray but he was outshone by Juan Martin del Potro.

7. MetalOrange

tckang,

murray will shine bright and all in 2010:rolleyes:, he'll grab all 4 in one go:rolleyes:! it'll make you and me happy:rolleyes:!

...in his dreams!

MetalOrange

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

There's nothing wrong with Murray flapping his gums. That's just his personality. Before him there was Ile Nastase, Jummy Connors, John McEnroe. All brought attention to tennis. If Murray wants to say the things he does, all the more power to him.

BTW, I do agree he has to take the next step and win a GS. He's beginning to take the shape of a LCW: Great world ranking, zero big championships

9. MetalOrange

madbad,

i hate johnny mac's sorry a$$ (he got 7 and still wudn't keep his yesteryears bitchin' mouth shut). every chance he gets, he just talks about guys having too much power; bring back the wooden racquet; play more serve and volley...

he can serve and volley all he wants but today's players can return so much better, hence, the effort of coming in is no longer a humdinger!

MetalOrange

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

McEnroe was my favourite player based on TALENT, not his mouth (although some of the things he said made me LOL). He had incredible command of his (wood) racket and beautiful touch and creativity.

It's a power game these days for the most part, but I prefer seeing players with guile and smarts.

11. MetalOrange

guile and smarts? then, it ain't johnny. you're talkin' martina hingis, very cunning with her plays.

btw, i love iceman bjorn better than the mouthpiece. lendl is very clinical as well.

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

McEnroe was a magician with his racket, could play every shot with control and had that immaculate touch. Played with a lot of smarts too I might add.

Borg was everyone's favourite (mine too). Always enjoyed his battles with McEnroe.

Hingis, I agree with. She had small power compared to her opponents but was able to out-think them and placed her shots well

13. MetalOrange

i'll respect your views of the chatterbox.;) but if i might add also, he's no ''el mago''.

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hehe, crossing swords (or rackets) with MetalOrange is always fun ;):D

15. MetalOrange

my pleasure! crisscrossing keyboards i say.

16. MetalOrange

Allez!

Henin triumphs again, and sets sights on Wimbledon

[​IMG]
    • [​IMG] AFP/BELGA – Belgian Justine Henin plays against Italian Flavia Pennetta at the final of the exhibition CPH Women …
    1 hr 26 mins ago
    CHARLEROI, Belgium (AFP) – Belgium's former world number one Justine Henin began her return to tennis after an 18-month absence with victory over Italy's Flavia Pennetta in the Women Tennis Trophy here on Sunday.
    And the 27-year-old is already dreaming of winning an elusive women's crown at Wimbledon.
    "It is another Justine Henin who will try and go out there and achieve her dream of finally winning Wimbledon," Henin said.
    "I don't know if it's possible but that just makes it an even more passionate challenge for me."
    Having beaten compatriot Kirsten Flipkens in the semi-final of this exhibition event on Saturday, Henin defeated Pennetta, currently 12th in the WTA rankings, 6-4, 6-4 to win the trophy.
    Although not part of the official circuit, the victory will have given Henin the belief she can once more compete at the top level.
    The 27-year-old Belgian announced her retirement from top-level tennis in May 2008 after winning seven Grand Slam titles and spending a total of 117 weeks at the top of the women's rankings.
    Only months earlier, fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters made a stunning return to the sport by winning the US Open after a two-year absence to start a family.
    Henin is due to make her official return to the WTA circuit in the Brisbane tournament that starts on January 3 next year, 15 days before the Australian Open in Melbourne.
    She added: "To be honest, I don't have any big expectations as regards results in Australia.
    "But I will be delighted just to return to the country again, I love it there, and to the official circuit.
    "I've never regretted my decision to stop playing but now I'm really excited about the prospect of starting a second career that probably won't look anything like the first, at least in my mind."
    Before heading Down Under, Henin will compete in another exhibition tournament in Cairo on December 12, when she will face Russia's 20th ranked Nadia Petrova.

17. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    our GM silentheart goes silence on this.
    is it due to his favourite Maria S is out? :p:D

18. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    A Little scare from Federer (phew)

Taken from BBC Sports UK

[​IMG]

Roger Federer dropped the opening set of his Australian Open campaign before fighting back to beat Igor Andreev in the first round at Melbourne Park.
    Federer came through 4-6 6-2 7-6 (7-2) 6-0 against the Russian as he sets his sights on a fourth Australian title.
    Third seed Novak Djokovic of Serbia plays Spain's Daniel Gimeno-Traver later on Tuesday.
    Sixth seed Niklay Davydenko began with a 6-1 6-0 6-3 thrashing of German qualifier Dieter Kindlmann.
    Davydenko has beaten Federer in their last two meetings and the pair are seeded to meet in the quarter-finals in Melbourne.
    "Now I feel like I can beat everyone," said the Russian, who is trying to win a first Grand Slam title. "Before no, mostly I was losing against these guys (top players), but now I can beat everyone. It's a good feeling."

Federer
    got the first break in his match but was then put on the back foot by some huge hitting from Andreev, who broke twice to take the set.
    Top seed Federer looked to have restored order with a dominant second set but the Russian's challenge was not over.
    The third set was a bizarre, thrilling affair, with each player breaking serve three times and Andreev failing to convert any of three set points on serve at 6-5.
    It was too good a chance to waste against the 15-time Grand Slam champion, and Federer made him pay by dominating the tie-break and racing through the fourth set.
    "I knew it was going to be tough," said Federer. "We played five sets in New York two years ago. I thought I was playing well even in the first set and thought I would hang in there.
    "It was a tough first round and I'm really, really relieved I'm through.
    "It was a tough third set, I definitely got very lucky to get out of that one. That's the way it goes sometimes, all in all I'm very happy with my performance."

There was a significant shock on Court 13 when Colombia's world number 114, Santiago Giraldo, thrashed 16th seed Tommy Robredo of Spain, 6-4 6-2 6-2.
    Last year's semi-finalist Fernando Verdasco had a tough opening encounter against Australian Carsten Ball, dropping the first set and being pushed hard in the second before coming through 6-7 (4-7) 7-6 (7-1) 7-5 6-2.

Gael Monfils
    , the 12th seed, swept past another Australian, Matthew Ebden, 6-4 6-4 6-4, and 14th seed Marin Cilic beat Fabrice Santoro 7-5 7-5 6-3 in the French veteran's final ever Grand Slam match.
    France's Marc Gicquel beat Italian Simone Bolelli 7-6 (7-2) 7-6 (7-3) 6-3 and he will take on Britain's Andy Murray in round two.

Sam Querrey,
    seeded 25th, fell to a 6-3 2-6 6-4 6-3 defeat at the hands of Germany's Rainer Schuettler.

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

maria kirilenko silents the crowd after she beat maria sharapova yesterday:p

[​IMG]

20. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Whether it is old Maria with a high shriek "Ahh" or the new Maria
    it doesn't matter.
    Both are my Goddess Marias......

:D :D :D