Transition from MP to NS

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by wiifanatic, Dec 3, 2009.

1. wiifanatic

wiifanatic New Member

I am thinking about buying the NS9900 from sohubuy.com because it is selling cheap there (total comes to about $160 US for
    2U,3U/G4,G5 TW), but I'm really afraid of buying rackets online. A couple of people have said that this website seems to be legit- I sent an email asking if they provided any warranty and will probably decide whether to buy it or not depending on the response.

Will it be hard to transition from a MP55 to this racket? I have only played with a MP55 before over the past 4 years. I'm used to playing doubles front and it seems like everyone likes the control and smashing power of this racket. Thanks

2. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    sohubuy is very legit. don't worry much ^_^

What I've gathered is that the NS9900 is very very stiff so be careful with that. I don't know much more than that unfortunately.

3. Random-person1

Random-person1 New Member

Student
    I would have to say NS9900 is harder to transition to than any other headlight racquet, but that's just me. It's extra stiff, PLUS headlight, so it makes it even harder to get use to in my opinion. Nevertheless, it's a great racquet!

4. wiifanatic

wiifanatic New Member

Thanks!

I overlooked the stickied post and will answer the questions there briefly:

I'm currently using a MP55 strung at 24lbs with BG65
    1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    I play 3-4 times a week with an occasional tournament every other month

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    I play front doubles primarily and need a racket that allows for aggressive smashing

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    I need a durable racket and will sacrifice performance to get it. I'm hoping that I won't need to buy a racket again for a long time (10 years?) so I want to invest in a good racket today that will hopefully still be a strong product 5 years later.

4. How much money do you want to spend?
    No more than 200 USD

-----------

I guess I'm trying to completely change rackets since the MP55 is a medium stiff, head heavy racket while this is a head light, extra stiff racket. I have played with my friend's Cab21 and can smash harder with his racket and can move it around more quickly for defense, but my friend has gone through 2 of them already which makes me think its a fragile racket

Is the 9900 overkill for me? Is there another Yonex series (I prefer to stick within Yonex brand) I should look at?

#4 wiifanatic, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  5. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Well a Cab21 is relatively cheap alternative, I've seen them go for 80-90 each sometimes.

6. wiifanatic

wiifanatic New Member

Is the 9900 more durable than the cab21? I am guessing that I will end up breaking a Cab21 at least once, so would it be better to go for the 9900 or end up paying around the same amount eventually for 2x Cab21?

7. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Honestly, breaking isn't a HUGE possibility. Unless you tend to clash and mishit on the frame.

8. singnflip4life

Full Time Med Student
    Where in California are you? Cab20s are supposed to be super durable and last forever, and i have one hanging on my wall unused and unstrung (literally). So you could have a go with that one (I'll string it up for you with whatever you like, as long as I can get a hold of it) and if you like it, I'll sell it to you. Its brand new, not strung before.