1 vs 2 strategy

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Gold-, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    such as training your coach may ask 2 player to vs u or playing with your friends (2vs1) so during this match what is the strategy to win in a 1 vs 2 match since u have to cover more space and your 2 opponent will make u run all around. is there any way or increase the chance of wining? mine sharing some strategies

thanks

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You could try to apply similar strategies you would use in doubles. If you're good at controlling your opponents, rotate the weaker person to the back. Then force weak returns from the back person.

I would try to avoid net drops if your shots aren't tight since the front person can just stay at the net and not worry about moving back.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Dont' do anything which will increase your movement pressure by much unless there's a very good chance you'll get the point, otherwise you'll get chased around the court and you'll lose quickly.

4. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

The point of these types of drills is that you're supposed to lose! You just try to delay your loss :D
    In order to get the most out of 2v1 drills, you must prolong the rallies, which helps to improve your consistency. The point of having two people is to allow you to do this (because the 2 players won't miss as much, since they won't have to move).

5. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

Or you can make it a goal to win. I sometimes play two people because alone the two have trouble getting much points off me.

6. druss

druss Regular Member

To be honest, besides making you work faster and harder for conditioning there is little benefit to playing 2v1. You're making doubles shots and singles movement, this will both help and hinder in that you'll probably learn to move faster but you'll make weird shot selections in singles and you'll try to cover too much in doubles, which can play havoc with your teamwork and proper rotation.

7. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

The way that 2 vs 1 was supposed to be used for, in my opinion, was (for the singles player) to increase consistency and to put them under more pressure than they would be in a normal game of singles. The doubles pair should not be trying to just kill the singles player using doubles tactics, but more so play shots within the singles court and with singles tactics in mind.

8. druss

druss Regular Member

I understand what you're saying but it's not realistic either and while I know that training is supposed to be harder than the real situation I personally don't see as much benefit in it as in many other drills.

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I agree - it's more of a rally drill than a game simulation drill. With two opponents, any offensive advantage you might gain over a single opponent using accurate shots to the edges of the court or deception is nullified and they can keep a fast paced rally going with you despite your hitting high quality strokes.

If the goal is really to win this type of game, there are a few things that can work:
    • target your smashes at the body of the opponent, and at the weaker opponent if you can
    • crosscourt net shots work great in a 2 on 1-> mostly because the opponents aren't sure how to cover each other in this situation
    • shots aimed towards the middle to create hesitation
    • in general avoid rallying because the 2 players have an inherent advantage. Try to use more 1 on 1 offensive shots like smashes and net shots to win points
    While the above may work, they can be counter productive for a singles player to work on those strategies. It's probably best to change the focus towards rallying rather than using tactics to win points. In this respect 2 opponents can give a fast pace, high consistency and defensively sound challenge to play against.

10. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    Sorry, but I keep forgetting what it is. Is it the singles person that hits DOUBLES court, and the 2 hit at the singles court?

11. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    What r your skills level ?

Gold- what r your strenghts and weakness'? What about the two players, do they normally play together, what tactics works and do not work for them?

It does not makes sense to talk tactics without taking into consideration your own and opponent skills!