Help! Fracture!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by TOmike, Nov 17, 2002.

1. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    i bought this Ti Swing Power only 3 days ago and i noticed this... on the 9 o clock position Ti Mesh showing area, there are scratches, or i think possibly a fracture
    i'm really new to this so i want some more opinions. these pics i took today, if u can't tell anything from this bad photography, gimme a call and i'll take pictures to your requirements. i just need more experienced eyes on this..

Racquet: Ti Swing Power SS
    3 days Old
    CD version
    BG65Ti 21lbs
    played time: on and off 8 hours not very hard play

i noticed this before play but thought nothing of it
    the surface is not broken in anyway and i do not know enough of Ti Mesh composition to tell if it is a fracture within or just stratches.

Thanks.

http://geocities.com/rogue1mk/Index

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Can't really tell from the pics (except for the 2nd one) because of the glare but since you only got it a few days ago, I would suggest that you bring it back to the retailer for a replacement (warranty is definitely still valid).

You said that the surface is not broken but is it kind of bumpy where the "scratch" was?

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    re take the picture. Too more light shined on behind the point of interest. Try to shine lights on the subject, not behind the subject.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Whatever it is, it is a manufacturing defect. Even if it's not a crack an imperfection like that can shorten the life of your racquet in the long run. Bring it back while you can.

5. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

Yep get it replaced man, better safe then sorry

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Here comes the value for "warranty".

Not matter ur racket can still hold or not, for a long run, why not get a "perfect" one instead? It will be sad that u just stick with a fracture one now , and it will let u down just after warranty expired.

7. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    yeh, i'm bringing it back tonight. when i called him, he said it might be a paint job prob, but he said i could bring it in for him to check. it doesn't look like a paint job prob to me.. will post later.

8. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    ok, went to the store, and the guy said that it's nothing but a paint job prob.. he said he's seen a good deal of them, and that the TI Mesh thing is just a paint job, not really showing Ti Mesh. The Ti Mesh is apparantly inside the racquet and not visible. Thats just cosmetics. I wasn't too sure, but he told me if anything happened to it there, he'd replace it for me..

thanks for you input guys.

9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    If I were you I would still get a replacement racquet. Just because he said that he will replace it for you doesn't mean that he will remember when you come back five months later ;)

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as far as i can tell, the Yonex Ti-Mesh is not a paint job. i should actually go and cut out some old racket to verify it, but you should be able to see some 3D structure in it. so the shop may be just BS'ing.

this cannot be said for other manufacturers and other Clonex rackets. i have seen many Clonex with painted mesh.

also, the "fracture" is a dis-continuity in the mesh. i have seen it in other rackets too. the mesh isn't only a reinforcement and doesn't play a significant role in maintaining the rigidity of the racket. so i wouldn't worry too much about it.

11. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    does that mean i cannot string it at high tensions?

12. coupii

coupii Regular Member

Physician
    Hi TOmike,

I have owned and cracked two Ti SP SS. Although the picture you provide is not very clear, I would be very suspicious of this "defect" because it looks a little like a crack to me. Either way, if your dealer says there is absolutely nothing wrong with the racket, then there should be absolutely nothing wrong with him providing you with a replacement which is unblemished. This is an expensive racket and I wouldn't want to take any chances.

Regards,
    coupii

13. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    It's still under warranty, just get a new one. Even if it's a paintjob problem, hey, that's still a problem. :D

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    While, let's say it's just a paint job. If u have already paid every penny u should pay, why settle on a "non perfect" racket?

Second, god knows what comes into his mind. He maybe just trick u, and hope this "defect" racket can just hold long enough until warranty expires. Then, u will be the one who's crying.

This racket is an expensive one (at least, for a lot of us), better avoid future trouble by exchanging a brand new replacement one.