clone vs orginal

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by legal strike, Nov 18, 2002.

1. legal strike

legal strike Regular Member

saw a clone racket that look exactly like the yonex mp99, call pro ace i think. anyone try this clone before and how they compare to the orginal?

2. oistrakh

oistrakh Regular Member

Another clone

If I am not wrong, Sintec also has a clone of the MP 99 too. It even has the Made in Japan sign printed on the shaft. Has anyone tried this racket as well? Its definitely cheaper than the original Yonex 99, but dont know how well it plays.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I use the word "clone" only when I see a racket has almost same material, shape, feature (balance pt, weight, grip), paint.

If 2 rackets just "look" similar (similar paint), I won't even say it's a clone. On the other way, if 2 rackets have a lot of similar features, but just different paint color, I will think it's a clone vs original.

It's not necessary that the original must be better than the clone (even though, many Yonex clone are not as good as the original, ex, sweet spot, duability, etc). As ppl metioned in previous threads, different rackets are good for different players. It's very possible that a clone fit for one kinda player, and the orginal fit for another. If I have a chance to get a cheaper clone (or just some not well known brand) racket, but it works fine for me, I will be much happier than getting a high price original ones.

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Lots of clones on the market. As to their durability and features, I believed that they are like Yonex. Are these clones exactly the same as the Yonex original? No, even Yonex can't even guarantee that their racquets are exactly the same (see threads regarding the various different designation codes, durability and playability).

The clone manufacturers offers alternatives and usually lower prices. I would be wary of clone manufacturers who claims patented Yonex technology (e.g. Yonex Ultimum Ti). Other technologies like Ti-mesh, ultra h.m. graphite, kelvar, etc are pretty standard.

LB is right in his assessment. It's individual preferences that will determine the racquet but other factors as well (e.g. availability of racquets, etc).

All I can say is the more choices you have, the better the prices as market competition will bring the price down (otherwise, if you have only Yonex to choose from, you know what the prices will be like) :D

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    clones are not all bad. My advice is if you still want clones, buy from well known makers as they have been around and can give u warranty. In my case, i got Winex & MMOA. Winex give warranty i believe. If no clones are around, yonex will innovates very slowly and charges even higher prices for their racquet.

#5 cooler, Nov 18, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2002
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this sounds like a good FAQ candidate. even better that it is not too hard to answer... :)