User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 35 to 51 of 111
  1. #35
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default We'll try to do so..

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    has now.

    it is generally better to notify us instead of keeping quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post
    there are so many members and head count going up fast.
    also, hundreds or thousand posts per day.
    kind of hard for us to keep track each and every one.
    ..we'll try to do so. But of course, some of us are nice folks and wouldn't report and suggest to kwun/mods that certain members should get banned. It's all in the hands or fingers of kwun/mods to decide whether to ban/un-ban members, lock or delete posts/threads. We only can report/notify.

    Also, i notice there are a handful of members who are active but have their contact/PM function turned off. Is it possible for kwun to have that feature/function as a requirement for all members? In case we want to send something to that member through PM (private messaging) instead of through the forum.

  2. #36
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    De-Guo
    Posts
    756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    in my opinion itīs also a question of quantity...

    coming from Europe i wish BadmintonCentral could be a source of information also, but with some misleaded BCers who obviously are far away from where it happens and getting into every thread with the same annoying stuff to get some attention... you simply need to stop reading everything, with all the polution caused by only a few people who hijacked BC for their selfish interests... not good

  3. #37
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default BC is both..

    Quote Originally Posted by arowana View Post
    in my opinion itīs also a question of quantity...

    coming from Europe i wish BadmintonCentral could be a source of information also, but with some misleaded BCers who obviously are far away from where it happens and getting into every thread with the same annoying stuff to get some attention... you simply need to stop reading everything, with all the polution caused by only a few people who hijacked BC for their selfish interests... not good
    ..BC has been a source of baddy information but it is primarily a public forum so there will be open discussions. And in **any** forum, there will always be certain members who'll cause "pollution". BC is not perfect, but for what it is, BC has been pretty much "popular" for what it offers.

  4. #38
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arowana View Post
    in my opinion itīs also a question of quantity...

    coming from Europe i wish BadmintonCentral could be a source of information also, but with some misleaded BCers who obviously are far away from where it happens and getting into every thread with the same annoying stuff to get some attention... you simply need to stop reading everything, with all the polution caused by only a few people who hijacked BC for their selfish interests... not good
    u have the choice on what to read, where(selected threads and forum) to read and when to read them. We do not all come from the same place (Europe) as u. We are not homogenized cyborgs that post the forum population average 1 post per day/poster. If there are misleading information, u can ignore it, or share with us your better answer or opinion. If a poster broke the rule, notify the admin. You say some post too much, i say u contribute too little to BF.
    Last edited by cooler; 12-08-2009 at 03:19 PM.

  5. #39
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,770
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow BadmintonCentral be a source of information

    Quote Originally Posted by arowana View Post

    coming from Europe i wish BadmintonCentral could be a source of information also, but with some misleaded BCers who obviously are far away from where it happens and getting into every thread with the same annoying stuff to get some attention... you simply need to stop reading everything, with all the pollution caused by only a few people who hijacked BC for their selfish interests... not good.

    .
    Some posts/threads provide us with information. Some provide us with opinions.

    I would have to agree that the quantity of 'opinion' posts are diverse. Just look at the Equipment Forums, for example. Yes, many of the 'opinion' posts have caused confusion. But what can we do; every BCer has his/her own opinion.
    .

  6. #40
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    De-Guo
    Posts
    756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    Some posts/threads provide us with information. Some provide us with opinions.

    I would have to agree that the quantity of 'opinion' posts are diverse. Just look at the Equipment Forums, for example. Yes, many of the 'opinion' posts have caused confusion. But what can we do; every BCer has his/her own opinion.
    .
    chris, thank you for correcting some of my typos like cooler, ctjcad said i have to admit that this is the nature of such a computer-forum. of course i cannot expect mature behaviour all the time, but it would be nice to see people trying to listen and improve...maybe too much to ask for, but i fully support your wish for harmony, respect, and order in BadmintonCentral.

    at cooler: maybe itīs just me, but often your statements are full of provocation, bitterness and verbal aggression leading to closed threads, deleted posts or simply negative vibes in this forum. claims like "truth hurts" do not help here either. in my understanding this thread is addressing just that in this particular case, and to remind us in general. i think you can do better than that, as you have a good sense of humour. it would be nice to see us going on from here to make friends instead of wasting the potential of this forum.

  7. #41
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ireland.
    Posts
    1,236
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    a member can be technically correct in all aspect, but if he end up being rude, arrogant, provocative, the thread might end up being closed and excessive display of such behavior might end up having that person banned.
    What qualifies as excessive?

  8. #42
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arowana View Post
    chris, thank you for correcting some of my typos like cooler, ctjcad said i have to admit that this is the nature of such a computer-forum. of course i cannot expect mature behaviour all the time, but it would be nice to see people trying to listen and improve...maybe too much to ask for, but i fully support your wish for harmony, respect, and order in BadmintonCentral.

    at cooler: maybe itīs just me, but often your statements are full of provocation, bitterness and verbal aggression leading to closed threads, deleted posts or simply negative vibes in this forum. claims like "truth hurts" do not help here either. in my understanding this thread is addressing just that in this particular case, and to remind us in general. i think you can do better than that, as you have a good sense of humour. it would be nice to see us going on from here to make friends instead of wasting the potential of this forum.
    I welcome your feedback.
    I think u broadbrushed me as the sole cause to closing of that thread. Record show 9 pages of posting, and i have made postings in the early part of 4.5 pages. The last 3 pages which led to thread closing, i was completely silence. If u want to throw judgement on others, please judge fairly.

  9. #43
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,770
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Banning rude, arrogant and provocative members from BadmintonCentral

    Quote Originally Posted by Destricto_Ense View Post

    What qualifies as excessive?

    .
    One too many, I would guess.

    We shall let our BC admin/moderators to judge us as we post/comment.
    .

  10. #44
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default I think..

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    I welcome your feedback.
    I think u broadbrushed me as the sole cause to closing of that thread. Record show 9 pages of posting, and i have made postings in the early part of 4.5 pages. The last 3 pages which led to thread closing, i was completely silence. If u want to throw judgement on others, please judge fairly.
    ..arowana meant to write his general perception of the way you post which tend to cause minor rifts or arguments in other threads (could be through the tone, misunderstanding or choice of words). Not just solely in that particular thread.

  11. #45
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,975
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't think a list of closed threads is good idea. It can't achieve anything positive, and might well become a "hall of fame".

    Quote Originally Posted by arowana View Post
    in my opinion itīs also a question of quantity...

    coming from Europe i wish BadmintonCentral could be a source of information also, but with some misleaded BCers who obviously are far away from where it happens and getting into every thread with the same annoying stuff to get some attention... you simply need to stop reading everything, with all the polution caused by only a few people who hijacked BC for their selfish interests... not good
    I think there are two separate issues here:

    • Ratio of signal to noise
    • Bad behaviour


    By "signal to noise ratio", I mean the number of useful or helpful posts, compared to the amount of chit-chat, arguing, or whatever; you might also call it "information density". Some forums are better than others, but you have to be realistic and recognise that forums in general have a very low signal to noise ratio. There's an awful lot of good information in BC, but -- as with most forums -- it's diluted in an ocean of cruft. Thankfully, Google tends to help out with that issue.

    You also have to recognise that forums are not only intended for providing useful information: they are also places where people of similar interests come to chat. Indeed, the chit-chat is just as valid as anything else. Different people come here for different reasons.

    What I mean by "bad behaviour" is when people are rude, inconsiderate, and basically sling insults at each other (or provoke others into conflict). This is a different issue from the signal to noise ratio. Some forums, due to their subject matter, attract worse behaviour than others. Badminton is pretty mild.

    Bad behaviour is kept under control by good moderators following well thought-out policies. It is not kept under control by asking nicely! However, it is useful to encourage members to use the "report bad post" feature.

    Putting BC in perspective, I would say that the moderation here is competent but on the light side. I've seen much better moderation, but that's been on sites where the owners and staff are more engaged with the forum. It's also been on smaller forums; the task is much greater on a large forum such as BC.

    That's not intended as a criticism; I'm not saying, "you guys ought to do better". I'm just saying that it is possible to do much better, given the right setup and the right people (in sufficient numbers).

    Whether you need to do better is a different question. It all depends on what kind of forum you want to run. If you wanted to reduce the amount of bad behaviour, I think you would need more staff.

    A separate question is how one, as an ordinary forum member, deals with the irritation caused by reading all this vitriolic garbage (and there always will be some, no matter how excellent the moderation might be). The simplest answer is the best: ignore it as best you can (but, if you can spare the time, do report it!). Dip into forums for the things that please you, and let the rest drift away. Stay out of fights; and when you do find yourself involved, extract yourself speedily.

    Disengaging from the internet is not always easy, but it's a valuable skill.
    Last edited by Gollum; 12-09-2009 at 05:16 AM.

  12. #46
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,770
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Don't think a list of closed threads is good idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post

    I don't think a list of closed threads is good idea. It can't achieve anything positive, and might well become a "hall of fame".

    .
    That's why no more thread, other than the first, has been listed.
    .

  13. #47
    Moderator drifit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Posts
    6,428
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Destricto_Ense View Post
    What qualifies as excessive?
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    One too many, I would guess.

    We shall let our BC admin/moderators to judge us as we post/comment.
    .
    i have no idea.
    i just closed 1 thread and been discussed for 3 pages now.

  14. #48
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,770
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Closing 1 thread that caused 3 pages of discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by drifit View Post

    i just closed 1 thread and been discussed for 3 pages now.

    .
    Hahaha... It's not your fault, drifit.

    BCers who have read that thread would probably understand why you closed it.
    .

  15. #49
    Regular Member ctjcad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    u.s.a.
    Posts
    19,157
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Another way is..

    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    ...
    A separate question is how one, as an ordinary forum member, deals with the irritation caused by reading all this vitriolic garbage (and there always will be some, no matter how excellent the moderation might be). The simplest answer is the best: ignore it as best you can (but, if you can spare the time, do report it!). Dip into forums for the things that please you, and let the rest drift away. Stay out of fights; and when you do find yourself involved, extract yourself speedily.

    Disengaging from the internet is not always easy, but it's a valuable skill.
    ..to try and use the PM function. I think the amt of chit-chat or off topic personal arguments in threads could be reduced by simply communicating or clearing some issues through PM. I've done so in the past and i thought it's quite effective and works in twofold (maybe threefold); not only did i get to know the other member but also it eliminates the unnecessary discussion/posts, and even solve/clear whatever is the disagreement.
    That's why i mentioned that perhaps each active member is required to have the contact or PM function on, in case the PM route is preferred.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 12-09-2009 at 11:56 AM.

  16. #50
    Regular Member george@chongwei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    29,957
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Looks like cooler's endless hours on BC has paid dividends
    That's why i decided to slow down a bit this few days

  17. #51
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    China
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    I welcome your feedback.
    I think u broadbrushed me as the sole cause to closing of that thread. Record show 9 pages of posting, and i have made postings in the early part of 4.5 pages. The last 3 pages which led to thread closing, i was completely silence. If u want to throw judgement on others, please judge fairly.
    I have to agree with arowana that you were the primary cause(although not the sole cause) to closing of many threads(and not just 'that' thread only). IMHO, arowana has been pretty fair to you(in fact he's been very mild when putting his thought across). If you have not started those provocative postings, people will not have respond with negative comments which leads to those threads being locked.

    You might questioned me for not being fair towards you as you are not the only one leading to the thread being closed. However, from what I have read thus far...Pemuda's and your posts are often the comments(although not always) which fuelled the discussions to become threads filled with tension. And I can say that the "frequency" of Pemuda's and your posts appearing in those locked threads were "worrying".

    Incidentally, I have learned that both of you are not very keen of listening to others(if both of you have tried to listen earlier, we won't have that many locked threads in the first place). Of course, this is only my opinion ,so you can disagree with me or claimed that I am being biased. But I have to tell you that I am being honest here and I apologized if you find my post to be offensive.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Listing of Places to Play - Perth
    By pina-rello in forum Australia / New Zealand
    Replies: 25
    : 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM
  2. Un-replied threads... and similar threads
    By limsy in forum Forum Feedback
    Replies: 6
    : 12-16-2008, 04:58 AM
  3. Please indicate dates in tournaments listing menu
    By crazy_smasher in forum Forum Feedback
    Replies: 4
    : 09-03-2004, 03:03 AM
  4. Badminton Skill Listing (in-Detail)
    By B4dm1nt0nFr34k in forum General Forum
    Replies: 5
    : 01-28-2004, 12:27 PM
  5. game listing
    By harry in forum General Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 05-08-2001, 09:25 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •