Racket advice

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by grnd3, Dec 7, 2009.

1. grnd3

grnd3 Regular Member

being somewhat new to badminton, I am not sure of the best rackets out there, specifically for my budget. My budget is ~$40 USD. I consider myself to be an all-around player, although I prefer to use a little more finesse with my shots as opposed to power. What types of rackets fit my description, or is more information needed? Thanks.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that where I live, which is near Philadelphia, PA, there are not many places to buy rackets from, and the ones that sell rackers (Sports Authority, ****'s, etc.) just sell those sets that come with four or so really cheap rackets. What is the most reputable online retailer of badminton equipment?

EDIT 2: In my haste, I didn't catch the sticky about asking about rackets.
    1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    1-3 times a week, about 2-6 hours. Fairly serious.

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    As aforementioned, all-around but prefer to hit shots with more finesse rather than power.

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?

Durability never hurts.

4. How much money do you want to spend?
    ~$40 USD, $50 would be the absolute limit.

#1 grnd3, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. StarcraftTerran

StarcraftTerran Regular Member

Since your budget is limited, I recommend to just to to store to get the racket. Since you are an all rounder look for a racket that weighs less than 92g. Also look for a racket that has a balance point between 280-310 (measured in mm from base of handle). I recommend a balance point 280-290 for all-around and 295-310 for aggressive play style.

3. grnd3

grnd3 Regular Member

Thank you for the recommendation on the specs. My biggest problem is that no stores around here sell rackets other than those four-racket beginner sets, but those aren't very durable, and the rackets themselves weigh a lot. I do not know the best online retailers, and do not want to use eBay because I have seen many $200+ rackets for like $15 which just says they're fake. After reading up on some rackets, I could probably bump my budget to about $60 USD, but I do not have much more money to spend than that.

4. StarcraftTerran

Well, I dont really have a brand that I recommend you to buy. However, I don't think you should go for Yonex, because with Yonex, you either have to buy the top of the line, or you dont buy it at all, becuase other brands such as apacs, and sotx has better quality at the same price

5. grnd3

grnd3 Regular Member

6. grnd3

grnd3 Regular Member

One model that caught my eye is the Wilson Vision 4, although the model itself is between 4-6 years old, and I'm not sure of the effects that would have on the racket itself, if it were purchased brand new.

7. druss

druss Regular Member

you might be able to find an older, lower end yonex for $60 or so, or a used apacs or something.

Where is PA?

8. StarcraftTerran

The age will have NOTHING to do with its quality, for example the yonex carb and armortec 700(old color), its been many years and there are still people who still LOVE them. I think this racket is good, i never tried this racket, but the 87-89g is considered "light" however the top heavy will help bring out power. However bear in mind that the that the racket shaft is stiff, so you will need strong wrist power to bring out strong smashes and clears.

9. grnd3

grnd3 Regular Member

PA is Pennsylvania in the United States. I'm having trouble finding anything Apacs even in any part of North America, and I don't want to wait 3 weeks for something to ship from China or Malaysia.
    I'm an avid golfer, and baseball player, so wrist strength is a non-issue! :D

#9 grnd3, Dec 7, 2009
  10. grnd3

grnd3 Regular Member

just merged the two posts into one

#10 grnd3, Dec 7, 2009
  11. druss

druss Regular Member

I don't know what you're going on about here.... if you notice the two adjectives, "older" and "lower quality" were both used in order to reduce the price. I did not state anywhere that older = lower quality.

The problem with either many of the cabs or at700 is that even used you won't find one for under $60 so what's the point in using them as examples? How does that help the OP?

On the other hand, an older, lower end racket will be affordable.

Ya, I thought PA meant pennsylvania but wasn't sure as you didn't list the country. check out www.apacscanada.com, they are having a free shipping deal anywhere in Canada or US right now. Find a $50 racket, pick strings and you're good to go.

12. grnd3

grnd3 Regular Member

Although I shudder at the thought of spending $75 on a racket w/ strings (I'm cheap), there seems to be a lot of hype and it might be worth it. With me going off to college next year, I hope to get some good use out of it (rec badminton, obviously). Thanks for the link.

One thing, though. There are tons of options for tension, and I do not know which one I should pick.

I saw these two, whose specs seem to me just about identical in every way. Is one better than the other?:
    http://www.apacscanada.com/tantrum-power-international-p-90.html
    http://www.apacscanada.com/nano-9900-p-92.html

#12 grnd3, Dec 7, 2009
  13. druss

druss Regular Member

If you're pretty much a beginner then I'd suggest the 21/23 choice. Higher tension will give you more control at the cost of some power. I would suggest you not go for anything higher than 24/26 though, at those tensions if you can't generate your own power you'll have trouble clearing the shuttle.

Having lived with 3 other guys in a 2 bedroom apartment during college I know that money can be tight. Make sure you can get a good pair of indoor shoes, badminton ones would be best but volleyball will work if you can find them significantly cheaper (don't like volleyball shoes though as they are a bit higher and are not side supported very well, this means it's easier to roll your foot and sprain it).

#13 druss, Dec 7, 2009
  14. grnd3

grnd3 Regular Member

Would tennis shoes work?

15. druss

druss Regular Member

Most gyms don't allow outdoor shoes and the soles of tennis shoes are hard as they are designed for durability on hard outdoor surfaces. Indoor shoes have a soft gummy sole to grip the court better.

Any racketball, squash, volleyball... etc. type shoe would work. Completely up to you of course but if you're going to play 2-3 times a week a good pair of indoor shoes would be worth it.

16. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

From my experience with APAC, do not get the APAC clone. Nano-9900 is a clone of Yonex NS9900. However, their own racquet line is much better and good for the money. So tantrum-power will be a good option if you a re not a beginner. It is a good racquet, just not arm friendly.

17. Tim1456

Tim1456 Regular Member

Clerk
    Try this one. http://www.cybadminton.com/dispprod.php?cat=rackets&xml=CY-Ti-9
    I emailed the owner of cy badminton. He confirmed Ti-9 is same as my racket black knight rapier. It is a very good racket. Rapier was designed and bear the name of Canadian top badminton coach Dominic Soong.
    CY badminton has badminton shoes too, about 40 dollars.

18. passtome

passtome Regular Member

actually can try another model also,like victor...........

19. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    I think your best bet is to go with APACS, I just dealed with them recently, and was very pleased with the service and the rackets.

20. anandalphonse

anandalphonse Regular Member

Engineer
    @grnd3..............

hey grnd3...i don't know whether if this may be useful to u but if u have any one visiting India or any friends from India then u could ask them to get a decent racquet from India (Yonex of course)...which would perfectly fit ur budget <75$...most of the middle range yonex racquets(AT50, AT70, AT300, MP33, MP45, MP limited, NS800,and cabrbonex 30 ) are available here for <75@~80$....its just my suggestion thats all pal....:p