Which string and tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by neogenesus, Dec 9, 2009.

1. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    Hi, Can you guys help me in deciding on what tension and string combo on my racket (Apacs Nano 900 Power).
    I have several combo in my mind. Currently, my racket was strung at 26/28 lbs with Apacs 66Ti spider. I found this combo to be great (good control, power, touch, lacking a little bit of feel). Sadly, it is starting to break soon and I am debating on several string and tension combo.
    Fyi, I am a hard hitter and like to smash and drive. I am learning to add more combination to my stroke (drops shots and netting), but still when I smash, it will be pretty hard so durability with mix of control is preferable.

1. Yonex BG 65 - Since this string is .70mm and currently I am using .66mm string, I thought maybe if I give a little bit higher tension to compensate the thickness of the string to 28/30 lbs maybe the feel will not be much different, although I know BG 65 has soft feeling so probably it will have the same power, touch, control and a better feel from my .66mm string. Also I knew that BG 65 loses it's tension rather quick so is 28/30 lbs enough to compensate that?

2. Yonex BG 80 - I love this string, but it breaks quite fast compared to BG 65. It has good power, control, feel, touch, but durability is a little bit lacking. I was thinking if I am going to use BG 80, the tension will be 26/28 lbs, but I am afraid it will break within 2 weeks :( (I did 25/27 lbs on my other racket and it broke after just 1 week).

3. Yonex BG 70 PRO - My 2nd choice of string. Durability is on par with BG 65, hold tension a lot better too. If I were to get this string, I will make it 28/30 lbs. But here is the problem, I have a racket that has been strung using BG 70 at 25/27 lbs, I have a problem generating power with it. it felt very hard when hitting the birdie, like I am hitting a wall, but it was back then. I have trained my wrist everyday and it has gotten stronger.

So what do you guys think??

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I can see your dilemma.

I guess since you're a hard hitter then the best recommendation I can give is to try BG65 since I find that it has one of the best durability at high tensions (have tried it at 30lbs plus and loved it). You were correct when you thought the soft feel specification of the string will reward you with more control as IMHO at higher tensions of 28lbs plus (which you suggested), I find the BG65 very easy to "manipulate" to achieve the desired shot type.

If you don't want it to lose tension too soon then just ask your stringer for a pre-stretch. Most crank stringers I have discussed with seems to do pre-stretch unintentionally (which is actually a good thing) but you can always ask for 2lbs higher than your desired tension. Although you may have to leave the tension to loosen up a bit before you start serious play with your racquet, which means no serious play with your racquet for at least a week or so. If you're dealing with an electric constant pull stringer then just ask for about 15% pre-stretch with BG65 and you're good to go immediately.

I haven't tried BG70 Pro much but I just don't really like the sound that it makes. To me it feels like a stiffer and less friendly version of BG65. Another string model which I will suggest to everyone who hasn't tried will be the BG65 Power. IMHO it has similar tension holding properties as BG70 Pro (maybe not that long but still long enough for my use) while having a nice familiar BG65 like feel with a very satisfying "ping" feel. For my personal use BG65 Power at 27/28lbs feels similar in terms of power and control to BG65 at 29/30lbs but the control of BG65 at 30lbs is still unprecedented.

I also use BG80 myself but at lower tensions than BG65. I haven't broken any of my BG80 yet which most were strung about 4 months ago, so I can't give much comment on the durability.

3. neogenesus

student
    I have been using mostly BG 65 in my badminton life, second will be BG 80 and lately, I have been trying with BG 70 PRO. Usually, I use BG 65 at around 22-23 lbs tension and never gone higher than that. I read that BG 65 and BG 70 are great at high tension and durable also. Maybe I am going to try BG 65 at 28/30 lbs and see how it goes. In the badminton shop (BBC) that I usually go, they don't have BG 65 power. They only have BG 65 or BG 65 Ti. I hate BG 65 Ti, it feels so dull although the sound is great when smashing, but it's all that is.

4. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    A jump from 23~23lbs to 30lbs is way too much. I suggest you try in smaller increments. Also, if you want to try BG65P, the best way is to import it and pay to have it strung.

5. neogenesus

student
    I have been using 25/27 lbs since 4 months ago and recently went up to 26/28 lbs on my new rackets. Problem is that my recent string is .66mm (similar to BG 66) so if I want to use BG 65 or BG 70 PRO and have the same feeling, I was thinking that I need to increase the tension a little bit to compensate the thicker string (both string will be more durable at higher tension also).

6. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    oh okay, since you didn't mention, I assumed you want to go straight to 30 from 23lbs. For sure, the BG65 will lose tension fast in the first week so be sure to add 2lbs over the tension you want.

7. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Well, BG65 doesn't lose a lot of tension with a 20% prestretch. I did a racket with BG65 with a HUGE prestretch as an experiment (26/28 [prestretched to 31/34) and it didn't drop tension at ALL for the first month. Then I cut the strings out because I actually wanted to USE the racket. So a regular 10% prestretch helps, 20% really helps, but at your tensions, don't do it. maybe 15% prestretch and just let the tensioner pull on the string, then re-tension.

8. neogenesus

student
    So, today I decided to restrung my racket with BG 65 at 28/30 lbs. At this tension, BG 65 still doesn't produce crisp enough sound when you run your nails on it, but when you smash or drop shot, it will sound very crisp. I was afraid earlier that 28/30 lbs will be too high, but it is actually better than 26/28 lbs that I have been using for 2 weeks. Higher tension actually makes me improve on trying to hit the sweetspot more often than when I was using low tension. As you may already know, the higher the tension, the smaller the sweetspot and harder to produce power for smashing. Hearing a loud BANG sound when smashing is awesome :D.
    I lend my newly strung racket to my friend and he is a beginner. True enough, he had a hard time generating power from 28/30 lbs and actually smash harder with my 23 lbs racket.

9. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

i use the 70pro on apacs super light 75 at 25-24lbs
    the most hardest smash racket in my club.
    try the 70pro at lower tensions and it will be great for power.

10. neogenesus

student
    I am going to try BG70 PRO on my nano 900 (white) at 28/30 lbs tension. I used to like the soft feeling on my string bed, but now I enjoy the hard feeling from my string. For me, it seems easier to do drop shot and net shot with high tension string that feel like a concrete, also my net shots are tighter and easier to slice the birdie with high tension. Certainly, it is not for everyone as I said my be as my beginner friend was having trouble with my freshly strung 28/30 lbs racket. I really want to try BG80 at high tension, but durability will be very bad and since I am not rich -.-'' BG 65 or BG 70 will be a better choice =D.

11. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Higher tension means more precise, sharper, less forgiving control, but also harder to generate power with.