ZELM PowerPlay 10000 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I've given an opportunity to do a Review on the PowerPlay 10000. Got the racket sometime ago. But due to my schedule i was not able to do a review on it earlier. But then here is some picture of the product which i was given a permission to post it. Im currently finalizing the "Review". Once its up.. i will post it. So stay tune and enjoy the pics.

Attached Files:

2. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

woah, i have a feeling this review will be pretty conclusive. Thanks ants.

3. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Solid pictures ants! Cant wait! You just put my pictures to shame.:eek::p

4. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    :eek: Whoa, even our ants is reviewing PP10000. Cool .....
    Getting more excited and happy now hehehehehe :p

#4 tckang, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  5. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    woa ants has one too!

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Haiyoh... dont call me big boss lah. Im not.

7. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    Haha yea even ants is getting into the Zelm. His reviews have always been pretty spot on with a few minor tweaks due to differing personal preferences. I can't wait to read it. Would you mind other people putting their reviews here as well?

8. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    Love that green color!

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

ants are you going to keep to the usual format that you have with the yonex reviews ? Like the layout ratings in terms or power manueverability etc ?

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

also what camera to you use ? Great pics

Sorry off topic

11. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

wow, now i am getting excited with ants review on zelm.

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Everyone is free to put their reviews here for sure. It is not about my Review. Its it Review about Zelm PP10000. IF you have one.. you can surely put it here. I dont own this thread. It is for everyone to share.

13. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Just got the Powerplay10000s and bags. Will post pictures by today!!:p

14. DonnyGan

DonnyGan Regular Member

Logistics
    pass me 1 later!!!!:eek:

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow.. green colour racket:)

16. ants

ants Regular Member

ZELM Power Play 10000 Review

Review Date : December 2009
    Launch Date : December 2009
    Racket Type : ZELM PowerPlay 10000
    Specs : 3UG5
    Strings: Yonex Bg66 ( Supplied )
    Tension: 30lbs , 2 Piece Stringing
    Stringing Machine : Yonex Espro
    Technology : Power Transfer Technology, Zelm PT Shaft
    Grip: Yonex AC102 over Original Grip
    Shuttle Used: Yonex Official

First Impression:
    “Whoah” was the word that came out from my mouth when I opened the package and see the ZELM POWERPLAY 10000 for the first time. Reasoning is probably due to the color of the racket, which caught my eyes. Definitely conventional and yet give a soothing sense for the color combination that is has. Color and paintjob has improved compare to the Powerplay 9990. Or I would say it’s the color coordination.
    Racket itself feels very light and well-balanced light head racket. Has a good and comfortable swing speed. Fast swing speed I would say. So how does this little well known ZELM Powerplay 10000 stands among the big players? I would have to check it out myself personally.
    Can’t wait to see and feel how this “PowerPlay 10000” performs on court.

Stringing Impression:
    Personally I feel a little hesitant to string racket which im not familiar with. But since it state on the shaft that the tension is between 28-32lbs, I will just go ahead. If not I don’t think I will be able to pull thru a good review and testing with lower tension. Not that lower tension stringing is not good. Just that it is not my preferred tension to play with. Nothing unusual when comes to stringing this racket. It Feels stable and with no hesitation when pulling it at high tension.

Warm Ups:
    The weight and balance of this racket make the swing easy and effortless. The flex of this racket is “Stiff” according to the shaft but I think it is in between Stiff and Extra Stiff. But then for labeling purposes Stiff is right. I am amaze how fast this racket moves thru the air due to the structure and design of the Frame. Baseline drives for the start does give me a feel of lack of punch. Reasoning is due to getting used to the timing. However the more I hit, the punch get stronger and stronger. There are slight vibrations when hitting the baselines. Nevertheless it does not affect the impact and the directions of the shuttles. Short drives is normal, need more push to keep the momentum going. Netplay and front control is good but not excellent however I can feel more touch senses in the net play. The information delivery for soft touch is crucial and from the warm-up session, it does give me more confident in net play.

Game Time:

What I like about this racket is the speed that is has, and the maneuverability. Its definitely good for players who like to use their wrists. Deception is made easier when using this racket. In fact I did stunned 2 doubles players flat footed. It is a very forgiving racket. However I expected more Power from this racket. In this department it does lacks a little. I have to put a little extra effort to produce the power that I need. However I think if it is strung at a lower tension, it will deliver reasonable good amount of power. Powerplay 10000 is an excellent racket when comes to speed. It flows through the air without much drag therefore it gives me a feel of ease when I swing thru the smashes.
    Defending smashes and flat drives during actual play is good and easy when using this racket. What I love about it is then when I defend consecutive smashes, I can right away switch grips and counter attack with ease. Control is above that I expected in this racket. If you are a thinking player and want to control the shots, this is the one for you. Besides that shot placements, flat and short drives during actual play make this racket fun to use. I can effortlessly execute them without much effort. This is one of the most user friendly racket that I’ve ever used.

Conclusion:
    “Green” Speed, which I am calling this racket. Very fast racket, great responds and easy maneuverability.ZELM Powerplay 10000 is one of the most user friendly racket which has been created by ZELM. The designers from ZELM definitely nail it this time with their Powerplay Series. Another thing im surprised is the durability of this racket even with its frame design. A little known company with very brief experience in racket design surely has done well in their research in providing excellence and solutions for badminton fans all around the world. It is not easy being in the market with major players in the badminton industry. However im sure ZELM will seek to improve more in their R&D and understands the markets need. And it has shown with the interests that it has created with the ZELM users from the previous models. My hats off to those guys behind ZELM.

I would rate this racket in terms of Feel, Control, Power and Defense. However it is based on my own test and review. It may vary depending on the player, tension and what string you use.

Feel: 8.5/10
    Control: 8.5/10
    Power: 8/10
    Defense: 9/10
    Maneuverability: 9/10

Pros: Great front player racket, Fast Racket Speed, Usability, Good control and Maneuverability

Cons: Frame color design too simple. Original Grip too slippery. Slightly lack of power.

Suitability: Beginners/Intermediate/Advance. Singles/Doubles Players

Ants

#16 ants, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  17. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    Nice review! Although it seems PP1000 has a lack of control and power from your scale?

18. ants

ants Regular Member

control is reasonably good.. but not excellent. it stills lacks in certain ingredients.

19. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    I would like to add in mine!

Racquet Model: ZELM Powerplay 10000
    Strings: Yonex BG80
    Tension: 25/26 lbs
    Grip: Towel

Here's my review...

After 8sessions of playing with it, and a friendly game(which I won:p)

In my opinion, the Powerplay10000 is indeed an improvement from the Powerplay9990. Slightly lighter in weight, balanced to slight head heavy balance, slightly stiffer shaft, the racket is much quicker, control is better and power is as good.

Lobs/Clears:
    As usual, the racket excels in this department just like its previous models.

Dropshots/Netshots:
    Comparing to the Powerplay9990, I feel that drops, are more precise, nets, frontcourt play is much easier and better because of its balance, racket is quicker, feels more alive compared to its predecessor.

Smashes:
    I am not a very big smasher, but the shuttle goes BOOM on times when i manage to hit the sweetspot. It plays just as well for me in this department, +20 when i hit the sweetspot.:D

Drives:
    With the slightly stiffer shaft and balance. Drives are more precise. Helped me got out of tricky situations when i was caught cold on drives by opponents.

Defence:
    Another great improvement in this department. While defending, racket feels solid, and the feel on the racket is very good. The Powerplay10000 is certainly more maneuverable as compared to powerplay9990.

Overall:
    With the added attributes, a great improvement from the Powerplay9990. Quicker and solid feel, perfect doubles racket for me. Power, Defense, Control, all packed into 1racket. The POWERPLAY10000!:D

20. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

Ants,

that's a very nice review. if you would compare it to ns9900 defense wise? and/or power wise (of similar shaft stiffness)?

thanks,
    MetalOrange