User Tag List

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread: India Badminton

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default An older article, worth a read...

India gets its badminton due, thanks to Saina Nehwal

Amit Karmarkar, TNN | Aug 5, 2012
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/15364812.cms

Excerpts:

Many, including Puneites, are unaware of city's role in badminton's history, thanks to the fact that there is neither a monument, nor a player of repute from here.

Poona District and Metropolitan Badminton Association (PDMBA) secretary Uday Sane said: "We want to build a badminton museum in Pune. We want a piece of land near Ammunition Factory, Khadki (AFK), for the same. It is believed the game was first played in that area. We are pursuing the matter with the state government. It has been on our agenda for some time. But it hasn't happened. After taking over as PDMBA secretary in late 2011, I have decided to do something about it before my tenure ends in 2015.

"We tried to visit AFK with foreign players when the World junior badminton championships were hosted by the city in 2008. But due to security reasons, we couldn't see the place."

...Pune has provided some milestone moments in Indian badminton.

Nandu Natekar was the quarterfinalist at the All England Open; Gopi Chand won his first National title here in 1996; World juniors were held here in 2008.

The city has produced world-level officials, started a state-level premier league on the franchise model. It witnessed the Prakash Padukone-Han Jian duel during the inaugural Indian Masters at the WIE in 1980s. But somehow the city has not produced a world-class player and also failed to host a big event like the Indian Open, World championship or Thomas and Uber Cups.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The familiar, yet intriguing tale of Prajakta Sawant

Abhijeet Kulkarni,
    Nov 8, 2012
    http://www.firstpost.com/blogs/the-f...nt-519180.html

Excerpts:

...While the media is going overboard with the story, the badminton fraternity is just amused and feel that it warrants little attention. The reasons behind this indifference are largely Prajakta’s well known history of making allegations at a wide range of people, and frequently.

...A few months later, she pulled out of all competitions and her father announced that his daughter had had enough of badminton and would concentrate on studies because “everyone was out there to ruin her career”.

The trigger for the outburst were two suspicious line calls. But the reaction was extreme.

...Since then while her career graph was on the rise and so were the many run-ins with the administration and court officials. She quit Maharashtra to play for Andhra Pradesh after she was asked to play the qualifying round of the junior nationals since she had not competed in the number of state selection tournaments required to make the team and also refused to turn up for the trials.

Few years ago, a Mumbai-based referee Mukund Kaveri was summoned to the police station for alleged “harassment” because he did not take the player’s side during a dispute with the chair umpire.

There is a general consensus among the BAI officials, coaches and anyone who is closely associated with the sport that her behaviour is influenced by someone from the family.

Even in the latest case, the problem started when Prajakta asked the national coach to change her partner because her partners – Pradnya Gadre (women’s doubles) and Pranav Chopra (mixed) – were not serious about their career.

Gopichand countered her argument saying that she herself needs to be more serious about her career as she was going home too often. In response, she shot a letter to the national coach and Badminton Association of India officials that Gopichand was making such allegations to harass her and it has led her to think of committing suicide.

It was in response to that letter that the national coach asked the Badminton Association of India to ensure that she not report to the camp until she withdraws the letter.

However, instead of withdrawing the letter she moved the court against Gopichand and BAI and has scored the first point in the legal tussle.

There are many more layers to this story and I am sure we haven’t heard the last of it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    The familiar, yet intriguing tale of Prajakta Sawant

Abhijeet Kulkarni,
    Nov 8, 2012
    http://www.firstpost.com/blogs/the-f...nt-519180.html
    This Prajakta already acting like a big time diva.
    I wonder what kind of drama she will come up with if she was successful like Saina.

On top of that, another sour puss Gutta is showing her colors.
    Earlier she was complaining Saina was getting all the attention, endorsements etc.
    So it is not surprising she is supporting Prajakta.

I predict, Gopichand will be on the losing end here.
    Badminton is getting all the limelight / money / etc and there will be tons of contenders trying to get a piece of the action and it is going to start with the clipping of Gopichand's power and control.

Last edited by rogerv2; 11-10-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rogerv2 View Post
    This Prajakta already acting like a big time diva.
    I wonder what kind of drama she will come up with if she was successful like Saina.

On top of that, another sour puss Gupta is showing her colors.
    Earlier she was complaining Saina was getting all the attention, endorsements etc.
    So it is not surprising she is supporting Prajakta.

I predict, Gopichand will be on the losing end here.
    Badminton is getting all the limelight / money / etc and there will be tons of contenders trying to get a piece of the action and it is going to start with the clipping of Gopichand's power and control.

This is the situation in our country. If you go up in the ladder, once you are there , you will forget the ladder. Thats happening now. I hope everything will change. She is just 20. I mean prajaktha. How she will be able to give such a comment against gopichand . Hurray...He said nothing . But that made her to go for suicide?. How on earth she became a student of him?. He is trying to give his best to this badminton world. Only thing i heard his students complaining about his strictness during practice. He is a perfect teacher. I dont think this will affect him. Lets see how it goes .. I always know that jwala is a media puller. If she gets place and time, she will try to pull attention by giving unnecessary stints. Prajaktha is so young. She has to think twice before blaming a person who proved himself in this huge world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    This is the situation in our country. If you go up in the ladder, once you are there , you will forget the ladder. Thats happening now. I hope everything will change. She is just 20. I mean prajaktha. How she will be able to give such a comment against gopichand . Hurray...He said nothing . But that made her to go for suicide?. How on earth she became a student of him?. He is trying to give his best to this badminton world. Only thing i heard his students complaining about his strictness during practice. He is a perfect teacher. I dont think this will affect him. Lets see how it goes .. I always know that jwala is a media puller. If she gets place and time, she will try to pull attention by giving unnecessary stints. Prajaktha is so young. She has to think twice before blaming a person who proved himself in this huge world.
    She does have a point though. Gopichand has his own academy and when he selects players from his academy, people will surely accuse him of being bias and there is a valid case for conflict of interest. So the selection should be done by a committee.

Even in Malaysia there is conflict of interest where BAM tends to select their own players even though there are better qualified club players.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Olympic Gold Quest - showing how its done.

Working quietly and effectively behind the scenes for sports in India, is a non-profit organisation named Olympic Gold Quest. The foundation was co-founded by eminent sportspersons Prakash Padukone (badminton,) Geet Sethi (billiards,) Leander Paes (tennis) and V. Anand (chess) among others, and has found a groundswell of support from the corporate world and numerous individuals.

They roped in many more equally eminent sports persons, and brought in a panel of medical experts whose collective knowledge in the area of everything sports is, in a word, awesome.

OGQ has been very instrumental in bringing India 6 medals at the recent London Olympic Games. Their people assist selected players with planning, medical/psychological/nutritional support, training infrastructure and equipment, and even travel and hotel arrangements where necessary.

It may be safe to say that without OGQ's support, the Indian boxing Bronze medallist Mary Kom would never have managed to get as far as she did. Here is what she had to say:

"I can't express my gratitude (enough) to OGQ. OGQ has been supporting from the time I had no sponsors. Their sport science team ensured that I moved from 46 kg to 51 kg (weight category) smoothly. They found a world class coach in Charles Atkinson for me and he really helped me to fight better against taller and stronger opponents," said Mary.

"Dr Nikhil Latey, head of OGQ's sports medicine team, has been with me throughout the last 2 years, helping me with my fitness, recovery and strength. I am very happy to win this medal," said the 29-year-old mother of two.

source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/15619162.cms

So what does OGQ have in mind for badminton?

OGQ CEO and former India hockey captain Viren Rasquinha said six youngsters - four in badminton and two in shooting - have already been picked.

The selected six in the 12-15 age group are: B M Rahul, Kartikey Gulshan Kumar, Rahul Yadav, Siril Varma (all badminton), Saurav Dalvi and Malauka Goel (rifle and pistol shooting respectively).

To know more about the foundation, visit:
    http://www.olympicgoldquest.in/index.php

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She does have a point though. Gopichand has his own academy and when he selects players from his academy, people will surely accuse him of being bias and there is a valid case for conflict of interest. So the selection should be done by a committee.

Even in Malaysia there is conflict of interest where BAM tends to select their own players even though there are better qualified club players.
    There is a point in your statement. Yeah. You cant object this also. I mean that gopi chand was selected as national coach when he is already owning an academy. How did they select him as coach then. This is my first point. If they are selecting him as a national coach, definitely its proving that they have their belief over his training methods and his quality.
    Next thing is that prajaktha is also his student. The point from the side of prajaktha is that he should nod to whatever she says. Its like " I dont want mixed double and women doubles partners, so, change it. I want to go home. So, even if you wont allow, i will definitely go. " This is like whatever you wanna do, you will do but teacher dont have rights to say anything. If he says like " you are not properly concentrating in the sports", then
    that will lead you to go for SUICIDE???.. Just think from gopichand's side, you may find the truth. Nobody will give you wrong partners deliberately and spoil you intentionally. And that too gopichand. Huhhhh..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a point in your statement. Yeah. You cant object this also. I mean that gopi chand was selected as national coach when he is already owning an academy. How did they select him as coach then. This is my first point. If they are selecting him as a national coach, definitely its proving that they have their belief over his training methods and his quality. Next thing is that prajaktha is also his student. The point from the side of prajaktha is that he should nod to whatever she says. Its like " I dont want mixed double and women doubles partners, so, change it. I want to go home. So, even if you wont allow, i will definitely go. " This is like whatever you wanna do, you will do but teacher dont have rights to say anything. If he says like " you are not properly concentrating in the sports", then that will lead you to go for SUICIDE???.. Just think from gopichand's side, you may find the truth. Nobody will give you wrong partners deliberately and spoil you intentionally. And that too gopichand. Huhhhh..
    Let's forget about that spoiled kid. Thing are different now compared to before. So Gopi should avoid controversy. I have no doubt that Gopi is very impartial and the best person to bring Indian badminton to the next level. There are hidden hands behind this drama. As for Prajaktha and Gutta, they won't reachreach far with this kind of attitude.
    Last edited by rogerv2; 11-11-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Saina is not the only face of Indian badminton: Jwala

Rohan Koli,
    Mid-Day, November 11, 2012

http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2012/n...nton-Jwala.htm

Excerpts:

...Gutta, who has been named one of the five Indian icon players for the six-city IBL, said: “Doubles players have done well for India, but have always been discriminated against. Just because Saina (Nehwal) is under national coach (Pullela) Gopichand, that does not make her the ONLY face of Indian badminton. Earlier, there was Prakash (Padukone), then Gopi and now it’s Saina.

Apart from her though, right now, there are doubles players like myself, V Diju, Ashwini (Ponnappa), etc who have helped gain recognition for the sport and country. Diju and myself qualified for the Olympics, something that never happened before. So, this change in Indian badminton is a collective effort,”

...“In Srinagar earlier this year during a national tournament, Gopichand, (Parupalli) Kashyap and PV Sindhu were felicitated, but no one bothered about Ashwini and Diju, who were also at that tournament. Is this not discrimination? “I was not felicitated after winning a World Championship medal last year. So, when we say such things, people should understand why we are doing so. At the end of the day, it hurts us too,” the Hyderabadi told Sunday MiD DAY

...“I am not taking sides here, nor do I have any personal grudge against Gopi. My only question is that he being the national coach, who also runs a private academy, does that not bring about a conflict of interest? And I want the authorities to answer my question.”

...The 2010 Delhi Commonwealth doubles gold medalist signed off, saying something that would disappoint many a badminton lover: “Players in every field need motivation, but unfortunately this is lacking in Indian badminton. If this continues, it’s bad for the future of the sport in our country — particularly in doubles. “I’m not proud to say this, but right now, there is no established doubles player in India after me. I would never want my kids to take up badminton as I wouldn’t want them to suffer.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Saina is not the only face of Indian badminton: JwalaRohan Koli, Mid-Day, November 11, 2012http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2012/n...nton-Jwala.htmExcerpts:...Gutta, who has been named one of the five Indian icon players for the six-city IBL, said: “Doubles players have done well for India, but have always been discriminated against. Just because Saina (Nehwal) is under national coach (Pullela) Gopichand, that does not make her the ONLY face of Indian badminton. Earlier, there was Prakash (Padukone), then Gopi and now it’s Saina.Apart from her though, right now, there are doubles players like myself, V Diju, Ashwini (Ponnappa), etc who have helped gain recognition for the sport and country. Diju and myself qualified for the Olympics, something that never happened before. So, this change in Indian badminton is a collective effort,” ...“In Srinagar earlier this year during a national tournament, Gopichand, (Parupalli) Kashyap and PV Sindhu were felicitated, but no one bothered about Ashwini and Diju, who were also at that tournament. Is this not discrimination? “I was not felicitated after winning a World Championship medal last year. So, when we say such things, people should understand why we are doing so. At the end of the day, it hurts us too,” the Hyderabadi told Sunday MiD DAY...“I am not taking sides here, nor do I have any personal grudge against Gopi. My only question is that he being the national coach, who also runs a private academy, does that not bring about a conflict of interest? And I want the authorities to answer my question.” ...The 2010 Delhi Commonwealth doubles gold medalist signed off, saying something that would disappoint many a badminton lover: “Players in every field need motivation, but unfortunately this is lacking in Indian badminton. If this continues, it’s bad for the future of the sport in our country — particularly in doubles. “I’m not proud to say this, but right now, there is no established doubles player in India after me. I would never want my kids to take up badminton as I wouldn’t want them to suffer.”
    Now it is very clear why Gutta is making a big fuss. I rest my case.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha ha.. Got the answer from her statements. She is extremely jealous !!!!!!.. Saina has proved it in the court. She is consistent playing all the chinese and beating them even in their home soil. And the young shuttler sindhu is also doing good. Already junior asian champion and beaten olympic champion . She is just 17. And kashyap is the first man who reached quarterfinals in the olympics. So, there is atleast some reason to felicitate them. For winning a medal in world championships, jwala got so many rewards. Even i have noticed that then and there. But the point here is the contract which saina has received made everybody to watch with their mouths opened. Prove it and get it. Even if sindhu does it, definitely, they will do it to her. What sachin is got today, its because of his own talent. Similarly it goes to saina also. Because of her, i am here. She is extremely simple and decent, no glamour pull offs, no publicity stunts and first of all no anti-teacher remarks. According to me, if you respect teachers, god will give that art fully. That i believe a lot. I have seen all these qualities in the three people who got felicitated by BAI.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlights of the proposed Indian Badminton League

- The IBL will offer USD 1-million (approx Rs 5.5cr) in prize money to the 6-city based franchise teams. The inaugural IBL season will run for 18 days, from June 24 – July 11, 2013. - This is the richest prize-money tournament in badminton in the world. - The IBL will offer attractive appearance fees to all the players – first time in a badminton tournament anywhere in the world. - 65 per cent of the prize money will go to the winning team and 35 per cent of the prize money to the runners-up team. - The winning franchise will take home more than Rs 3.5 crore. Participation: - The world’s top-ranked players will participate in the IBL. - Almost all the top-ranked players from China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Denmark, Germany and Korea have confirmed their participation. - All the Indian national players will be available for the IBL. - Each franchise team will comprise of 11 players. -Four foreigners allowed in every team. -A maximum of three foreign players can be fielded in a match. -Each team to have one Icon Player. -Mandatory for each team to have one India junior player in their ranks. Format: - Six franchise-based city teams to compete. - Franchise numbers will increase over time with founder franchise’s rights protected. - Franchises will play each other at least once. - Matches to be played on Sudirman Cup format. Each team tie will comprise of one Men’s Singles, Women’s Singles, Men’s Doubles, Women’s Doubles & Mixed Doubles event. Team that wins three out of five matches wins the tie. - Two-day city format to be applied. This means all five teams first visit one host city, play the matches and then the ‘Shuttle Express’ moves to another city for the next round of matches. - Each franchise to play minimum of five ties; total 25 league matches, 2 semifinals and 1 final. - IBL will be played under rules and regulations of Badminton World Federation & Badminton Association of India. Base Prices (in USD) and No. of players: Icon Player (1): 50,000 Foreigners (Top-10, 3): 25,000 Foreigners (No.11-25; 1): 15,000 Foreigners (No.26 and above; 1): 5,000 Indian top-20 in world rankings (1): 20,000 India international (2): 10,000 India National (1): 5,000 Junior players (1): 3,000 Per team: 2 MS; 2 WS; 3 MD; 2 WD; 2XD Total: 11 Other features: - Bollywood Nights/Entertainment/Carnival atmosphere - 10,000 school fans Outreach - Live telecast in more than 150 countries - Celebrity endorsements/ Brand Ambassadors - Charity association

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paroxysmal View Post
    Highlights of the proposed Indian Badminton League

- The IBL will offer USD 1-million (approx Rs 5.5cr) in prize money to the 6-city based franchise teams. The inaugural IBL season will run for 18 days, from June 24 – July 11, 2013. - This is the richest prize-money tournament in badminton in the world. - The IBL will offer attractive appearance fees to all the players – first time in a badminton tournament anywhere in the world. - 65 per cent of the prize money will go to the winning team and 35 per cent of the prize money to the runners-up team. - The winning franchise will take home more than Rs 3.5 crore. Participation: - The world’s top-ranked players will participate in the IBL. - Almost all the top-ranked players from China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Denmark, Germany and Korea have confirmed their participation. - All the Indian national players will be available for the IBL. - Each franchise team will comprise of 11 players. -Four foreigners allowed in every team. -A maximum of three foreign players can be fielded in a match. -Each team to have one Icon Player. -Mandatory for each team to have one India junior player in their ranks. Format: - Six franchise-based city teams to compete. - Franchise numbers will increase over time with founder franchise’s rights protected. - Franchises will play each other at least once. - Matches to be played on Sudirman Cup format. Each team tie will comprise of one Men’s Singles, Women’s Singles, Men’s Doubles, Women’s Doubles & Mixed Doubles event. Team that wins three out of five matches wins the tie. - Two-day city format to be applied. This means all five teams first visit one host city, play the matches and then the ‘Shuttle Express’ moves to another city for the next round of matches. - Each franchise to play minimum of five ties; total 25 league matches, 2 semifinals and 1 final. - IBL will be played under rules and regulations of Badminton World Federation & Badminton Association of India. Base Prices (in USD) and No. of players: Icon Player (1): 50,000 Foreigners (Top-10, 3): 25,000 Foreigners (No.11-25; 1): 15,000 Foreigners (No.26 and above; 1): 5,000 Indian top-20 in world rankings (1): 20,000 India international (2): 10,000 India National (1): 5,000 Junior players (1): 3,000 Per team: 2 MS; 2 WS; 3 MD; 2 WD; 2XD Total: 11 Other features: - Bollywood Nights/Entertainment/Carnival atmosphere - 10,000 school fans Outreach - Live telecast in more than 150 countries - Celebrity endorsements/ Brand Ambassadors - Charity association

Something like the Axiata cup which I really liked.
    I am still confused after reading the terms of this competition.
    Last edited by rogerv2; 11-11-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something like the Axiata cup which I really liked.
    <<Mandatory for each team to have one India junior player in their ranks>>
    Huh? Have does not necessary means fielding them.
    Ok, so i guess China team will field an Indian junior player, this I have to see.
    china have a team.????OH!yeah may be some chinese company which wanted to enter into Indian market might use this opportunity by buying a franchise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by depleter View Post
    china have a team.????OH!yeah may be some chinese company which wanted to enter into Indian market might use this opportunity by buying a franchise.
    Yeah maybe.
    Can someone who understand all this ambiguous statements on the terms of this competition please explain it to me?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah maybe.
    Can someone who understand all this ambiguous statements on the terms of this competition please explain it to me?
    OMG.. Would there be any team owned by china?.. Truly BAI need to think twice before doing this. Because i have never seen a single player in CBSL which china is conducting. I have seen so many players except indian players like saina, sindhu or any male players. If they are doing like that, why should we call those chinese players . In Axiata cup also, i dont see any china players. If wrong, correct me please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG.. Would there be any team owned by china?.. Truly BAI need to think twice before doing this. Because i have never seen a single player in CBSL which china is conducting. I have seen so many players except indian players like saina, sindhu or any male players. If they are doing like that, why should we call those chinese players . In Axiata cup also, i dont see any china players. If wrong, correct me please.
    Nothing wrong with having a Chinese owned team. What is the OMG for?
    China was not invited to the Axiata cup.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast