Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: India Badminton

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up India to host a Super Series tournament soon

Quote Originally Posted by vpsingh View Post

Badminton Authority of India (BAI) president V K Verma has confirmed that India is trying to host a Super Series tournament in near future.

The ongoing Asian Championship together with forth coming Commonwealth Games may decide if India indeed can do so.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/5782615.cms

Perhaps, India would be selected to host a Super Series tournament very soon.

Great to see Saina Nehwal, and Jwala Gutta, V. Diju, and others doing well at recent tournaments.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top Indian players don't discuss problems: Badminton coach

IANS, Apr 16, 2010, 06.25pm IST

NEW DELHI: After India's disappointing performance in the men's singles at the Badminton Asia Championships, the country's foreign coach Atik Jauhari has listed reasons ranging from injuries, independent training programmes of players, temperament, and the "lack of x-factor" for the poor showing.

The Indonesian master coach was at a loss for words to explain why experienced players like Anup Sridhar and Arvind Bhat lost on the first day of the championships except saying there is little he could say as the two follow their own training programme and do not discuss problems with him.

The two seniormost players were out on the opening day itself and Parupalli Kashyap was the lone survivor who lived to fight another day. Kashyap, ranked World No. 30 and seeded 13 here, pulled off two fine victories before losing to seventh seeded Yun Hu in the pre-quarterfinals.

Sridhar and Bhat are also injury-prone. Bhat, ranked 36, missed the All-England Open Championships and the Swiss Open because of an ankle injury. Bhat did not appear fully fit in his second-round loss to Korean Ji Hoon Hong on Wednesday.

*Full article taken from The Times of India.com -- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/5821754.cms

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Hope that Sridhar and Bhat will be ready (injury-free) for the 2010 Thomas Cup

Quote Originally Posted by CLELY View Post

Sridhar and Bhat are also injury-prone.

*Full article taken from The Times of India.com -- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/5821754.cms

IMHO, if players are injured, they should not compete. They should only return to compete after a full recovery from injury.

Let's hope that Sridhar and Bhat will be ready(injury-free) for the 2010 Thomas Cup. Australia and Indonesia are in the same group with India. On paper, Indonesia is the tough one to beat in this group.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    Perhaps, India would be selected to host a Super Series tournament very soon.

Great to see Saina Nehwal, and Jwala Gutta, V. Diju, and others doing well at recent tournaments.
    Where will be the location? Hope BWF reconsider the decision again.. In the ABC championships in New Delhi.. there are so many flies though

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Super Series in India could be held at Sri Fort Sports Complex

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post

Where will be the location? Hope BWF reconsider the decision again.. In the ABC championships in New Delhi.. there are so many flies though.

The Super Series in India could probably be held at the renovated Sri Fort Sports Complex.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it located at New Delhi?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems like India has few good junior! Great for badminton...

It all looking GOOD for the Future of badminton...

Badminton need India... Russia... to be strong... to match Tennis... Golf... etc...
    Last edited by SibugiChai; 04-25-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: to be strong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bane of the game

Suveen K Sinha / New Delhi May 2, 2010, 0:44 IST

Badminton suffers from being a sport that “everyone can play”.

No one is giving an arm and a leg yet to make badminton more saleable, but a sleeve has been sacrificed. The game’s poster boy, Raufik Hidayat, wore a one-sleeved theme jersey at the Badminton Asia Championship in New Delhi last month. With that, the game made a rare nod to couture. So far, players — men and women alike — have given priority to functionality over fashion. Both wear shorts, and men continue to carry collars.

The one-sleeve jersey (honestly, it looks odd) made its debut last year at the Japan Open Super Series. It gained attention when Malaysia’s Lee Chong Wei and Denmark’s Peter Gade sported it at the All England. Hidayat brought it into the limelight. The argument is that the uncovered shoulder and arm move better. The other arm, sleeved, can be used to wipe sweat. The real idea maybe to bring a touch of Rafael Nadal — his biceps never hidden under sleeves — to badminton.

And why not! Badminton has forever been battling to get the same respect, and sponsorship money, as tennis. Frequently, statistics are dished out — for example, the shuttle speed in a professional badminton match is faster than the speed of the ball in professional tennis — to establish that badminton is more physically demanding.

Here is a bit of what www.worldbadminton.com has to say. At the 1985 Wimbledon, Boris Becker defeated Kevin Curren 6-3, 6-7, 7-6, 6-4. The same year, Han Jian of China defeated Morten Frost of Denmark 14-18, 15-10, 15-8 at the World Badminton Championships in Calgary, Canada. The first lasted 3 hours and 18 minutes, the second an hour and 16 minutes. Yet, the tennis ball was in play for 18 minutes and the badminton shuttle for 37 minutes. The match intensity (the actual time the ball/shuttle was in flight, divided by the length of the match) was 9 per cent for the tennis match and 48 per cent for badminton. The number of shots Becker and Curren made, at 1,004, was just more than half the shots made by Han and Frost (1,972). The distance covered was two miles by the first pair, four by the second.

However, statistics would win you debates, not sponsors. Badminton is extremely popular in India. Everyone plays it, or thinks he can. Every housing society in and around Delhi has a badminton court. Every picnic involves a game by the grandparents. Even middle-aged housewives do not mind tucking their pallus into the girth on their waist to have a round of badminton. There is a ‘formidable champion’ in every colony. That perhaps is the bane of this game. It is seen as a backyard romp. Tennis, on the other hand, is perceived to be much bigger in scale and challenges. It requires you to cover a much bigger court, the racquet is bigger, and it is much more difficult to keep a tennis ball in play than a badminton shuttle. And, of course, short skirts get more viewership than shorts.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VERY TRUE INDEED... in terms of population who play badminton... it wont be lacking! maybe more than tennis but THE PRICE MONEY & PROMOTION... is bad...

who fault?

BWF or ????

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I forget: something I came across earlier this week -> http://mybadmintonbook.blogspot.com/

"My Badminton Book

About Badminton in general, and Badminton in India in particular"

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Only a few players get BAI’s support: Jwala Gutta

Only a few players get BAI’s support: Jwala Gutta
    Published: Wednesday, Feb 9, 2011, 3:17 IST
    By Tushar Dutt | Place: Pune | Agency: DNA
    http://iplextra.indiatimes.com/article/0ePJ2Sx6qw1Q8

Badminton is growing, but not the players, feels Jwala Gutta.

The shuttler, who won gold at the Commonwealth Games and reached the quarters of the Korean Open with Ashwini Ponnappa recently, says that the Badminton Association of India (BAI) has a biased approach as “only a few players” get their support.

When asked whether BAI supports only Saina Nehwal, Jwala said, “I have nothing against Saina, as she is a good player and she deserves the support, but that doesn’t mean we are not doing well. I feel players including me, Ashiwini and Diju have been doing well and are consistent with our performance, but still we are not getting the support.”

Jwala said that the neglect is not hidden any more. “It is so prominent that anybody can make out that from their attitude. Ashwini and I had reached the quarters of Korean Open, but they (BAI) didn’t even send the results of the match to the media. This way we cannot find any support,” she said.

She also said that her performance could have also won her national awards, but BAI didn’t recommend her name for any of them. “I have done well in the past and try to maintain my performance, but my name was never recommended for any award by BAI. All I can do is to perform, rest is in their hands,” she said.

The shuttler said that the attitude is not helping the other players. “It hurts a lot, but what can I do? I cannot do anything apart from playing well. I am glad that I am getting government’s support, which allows us to play tournaments abroad, but apart from that, there is no support at all. We don’t even have sponsors,” she said.

When asked what keeps her motivated, she said, it is the passion for the game. “I want to see myself at the No 1 spot. This keeps me going,” she said.

========= ========== ==========
    Cobalt's comment: I seem to recall, the gold-medal WD pair from India was actually cold-shouldered during the awards ceremony by their own minister for sports in India, during the recent Commonwealth Games held in Delhi, while Saina Nehwal was given all the attention.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Cracks on the surface

India’s best doubles player Jwala Gutta alleges that BAI’s policy of favouritism is hurting the sport of badminton

Ramendra Singh
    Posted On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 at 12:01:45 AM

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/index...&sectname=News - Sports&sectid=71&contentid=20110208201102080001454 03ebaf90f0

That Jwala Gutta has a bone to pick with the Badminton Association of India is a well-known fact in sporting circles.

However, India top doubles player has now gone on record to say that blatant favouritism by the Badminton Association of India (BAI) is proving to be detrimental to the health of the sport in India.

In an exclusive chat with Mirror, she expressed her disgust at the odd policies and favouritism of the BAI. Justifying her anger over BAI, the talented left-handed player alleged that the BAI supported only those players who are ready to accept their diktats. “I have made unprecedented achievements and brought laurels to the country, but BAI has never recognised them. Despite being among the world’s sixth best doubles player, the badminton association has never wanted to support me,” she said.

Compromise? not me

When asked about the reason of such indifferent behaviour of BAI, she said, “I have never compromised with anyone. I am here only to perform and not to listen or accept unnecessary words from the association. I am a straight speaking individual. BAI supports only those who are ready to compromise with their unacceptable policies.”

Jwala is among those players who have made the country proud with awesome achievements in the badminton arena.

Apart from winning tournaments on the circuit including the Yonex Dutch Open Grand Prix (2008) , she also won a gold medal in Women Doubles in Commonwealth Games 2010.

The pathetic state of BAI’s policies in the country could be gauged from the fact that despite being the world number six doubles player in the country, Jwala does not have a single sponsor. “Can you believe that after serving so long to the country, I have not a single sponsor except my department BPCL. But, Saina Nehwal has got a huge line of sponsors as BAI is supporting her,” she said. She asked, “ Is there any player to field if Saina is out of action due of injury or any other reason? This is what the BAI has been doing. Their support is for those players who listen to their wrongs.”

Citing the example of the BCCI, Jwala said: “Cricket and cricketers could achieve such height and popularity as they were supported by their board. The same thing could be possible in Indian badminton if BAI supports the players as there is no dearth of talent.

BAI officials were not available for comment.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow India’s best doubles player Jwala Gutta alleges BAI’s policy of favouritism

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    India’s best doubles player Jwala Gutta alleges that BAI’s policy of favouritism is hurting the sport of badminton

BAI officials were not available for comment.
    From what I see, BAI gives more recognition to Singles players than to Doubles players.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It appears that BAI is infected with some of the same virus that has affected BAM: inertia, and CYA (cover your a$$) syndrome.

But worse for BAI is that there is more direct political control and interference. Possibly because badminton has become more visible as a sport in India, and also because it is bringing in big sponsors and more money than it had ever seen before.

My opinion:
    If the Indian squad want to make an impression on the world stage beyond Saina, then they will have to find the courage and the means to hire some top coaching talent and support staff from abroad. This is what the Indian cricket team has done consistently for the past ten years, and they are now the No. 1 Test cricket team in the world.

Such an investment will eventually pay dividends. Remember, Atik Jauhari was quite instrumental in getting Saina to the No. 2 world ranking.

It is up to people like Gopichand himself and others to lead the way, and make the correct recommendations. Gopi was a great player and he has also since made great contributions to Indian badminton like Prakash Padukone before him, but I cannot honestly say with certainty that he is a world-class coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Badders,
    I came across a blog related to Indian Badminton.Just thought of sharing with you guys!.Its hard to find aurthors writing about Badminton.Thanks to Abhijit Phadke.

http://mybadmintonbook.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up 2011 All England: Saina Nehwal, seeded No.5, could move into the Semi-Finals

Quote Originally Posted by scuInd78 View Post
    Dear Badders,
    I came across a blog related to Indian Badminton. Just thought of sharing with you guys!. Its hard to find aurthors writing about Badminton. Thanks to Abhijit Phadke.

http://mybadmintonbook.blogspot.com/
    I think Saina Nehwal, seeded No.5, could move into the Semi-Finals at this 2011 All England tournament.

Fingers crossed for her.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shuttlers attract whopping prize money for league

Team owners loosen their purse strings in the auction for the Maharashtra Badminton League; Jishnu Sanyal gets highest bid

A mini badminton revolution was launched on Sunday in Pune — the birthplace of modern badminton. An IPL-style league finally took off, with the auction of 79 players — bringing some of them a windfall that they’d never have expected in their wildest dreams.

Doubles player Jishnu Sanyal attracted the maximum bid of a whopping Rs 81,000 — peanuts by cricket standards but huge money in badminton, for this involves matches over three weekends. Pune’s national champion Aditi Mutatkar and Arundhati Pantwane shared the highest bid for the women — Rs55,000 each. The league will be held only on Saturdays and Sundays, and will begin on May 7 at WIE Sports Complex, Pune.

The Amanora Maharashtra Badminton League will have six teams, who bid for their pick from the 79 players available on Sunday in Pune. The league is the brainchild of the Haveli Taluka Badminton Association, and is supported by the associations of Thane and Pune, under the aegis of the state association.

National champ Mutatkar was stunned when told she had won a bid for Rs55,000. “It’s a big surprise,” she said. “I never thought this would happen during my career. It will have huge significance. It can attract juniors. This shows that people are coming forward to support badminton. The money might go up the next year, and perhaps this will even evolve into a national league.”

Each team had a maximum amount of Rs2.5 lakh to spend. Players were divided into ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ categories, depending on their level of performance. The base price for ‘A’ category was Rs30,000 for ‘B’ category Rs25,000 and for ‘C’ category Rs15,000.

Jishnu attracted the top bid from Fabulous Falcons, owned by Jain Irrigation, Jalgaon, while Aditi was bought by Sensational Skylarks ( Builders Combine and Radiant Sports Management, Pune), while Arundhati was picked up by Inspiring Eagles ( Pratham Motors, Pune).

Uday Sane, secretary of the organising committee and a respected international umpire, said the money spent by teams had surprised him. “We earlier had a cap of Rs2.25 lakh, but the team owners wanted it hiked to Rs2.5 lakh,” he told DNA. “The base price started at Rs30,000 and then shot up. That a badminton player will make Rs81,000 for three weekends is great news.”

Sane was thrilled that most owners were from outside the fraternity, but had done their homework on the players. “ They’re not from a badminton background at all. We had one owner from a rural place - Sangli. They want to have exhibition matches over there. The value for badminton is growing up.”

Six celebrity Marathi actresses have been roped in as brand ambassadors: Bhargavi Chirmule, Sonali Khare, Kranti Redkar, Kadambari Kadam and Saee Tamhankar. Those responsible for the league are Aniruddha Deshpande, chairman of the organising committee (MBL), Pradeep Gandhe, president of MBA, Uday Sane, secretary of the organising committee and Avinash Jadhav, vice president, Haveli Taluka Badminton Association.

# 21 Mar 2011
    # DNA (Daily News & Analysis) Mumbai Edition
    # Dev S Sukumar BANGALORE
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by demolidor; 03-22-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast