User Tag List

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: India Badminton

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its a good development as it will promote badminton in india, but have to see which top players will actually take part in IBL, considering very low participation of top players in india in BWF events only.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

National badminton coach Gopichand is expanding academy, aiming for more Sainas

M Ratnakar, TNN Oct 10, 2012
    http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...hand-pv-sindhu

Excerpts:

National badminton coach P Gopi Chand is staying in a rented place and not in his own swanky residence at the foot of a picturesque hillock. That's his way to ensure that he remains in close proximity to his academy and students.

..."After Saina won the bronze at Olympics I felt I accomplished my job. But soon I realized that I am hungry to do more for the sport I love. I want to continue till 2016 Rio and may be beyond.

But it is for BAI ( Badminton Association of India) to decide whether I should stay or go," he said.

It will be difficult to find a stronger candidate than him at this point. The 2001 All England champion has shaped the careers of Saina Nehwal, P Kashyap and PV Sindhu.

...Two Indonesian junior coaches - Andika and Danu - have joined his academy recently.

Gopi is expanding his academy as he finds that the existing facility is unable to cater to the needs of growing number of budding shuttlers.

Another six-court indoor structure, a stone's throw from the present academy, will be functional by April. Besides, his second academy in Gwalior will be ready by December.

..."Producing Saina-type players is no easy task. Except China, even countries with rich badminton history like Indonesia, Malaysia and Denmark have failed to churn out top-class talent regularly.

But we have great talent in both men and women who have been troubling the best in the world.

"Wait for another six months, you can except some great results from men too. Even now they have the ability to upset all the top ranked players.

We have seen that at the China Open where we had three men in the quarterfinals. That's no mean feat. I am expecting more big results from men."

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

More Gopichand-like academies need of the hour, says former player

Press Trust of India
    Last updated on Saturday, 13 October 2012
    http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/b...-former-player

Excerpts:

Mumbai: Praising the badminton academy run by former All England champion Pullela Gopichand in Hyderabad, former international shuttler Uday Pawar on Saturday called for more such well-supported academies to be set up in other parts of the country.

..."From the days of Nandu Natekar and Suresh Goel we have been known for our skilful and deceptive wristy play. Indonesian great Rudy Hartono revolutionised the game with his half smash, smash and jump smash before the Chinese took the game to another level with their speed and power," noted the former four-time men's doubles national champion.

"We may be very skillful but to match the Chinese, we need to be at least 85 per cent as fit as they are," said Pawar, who had turned to coaching after his playing days during which he had represented the country in Asian Games and Thomas Cup.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

...and here is one more of those meaningless online debates, and polls comparing players from different generations:

The proposal:
    Saina Nehwal has eclipsed Prakash Padukone

http://www.firstpost.com/debates/sai...20121025110002

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gopi on Saina’s ‘maar doongi’ attitude and more

by T S Sudhir Oct 22, 2012
    (T S Sudhir is the author of Saina Nehwal’s biography, that released in July 2012)

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/gopi...re-499145.html

Excerpt:

...For Gopi, there are important takeaways from the performance of his two leading girls. Both Saina and P V Sindhu have beaten top Chinese players this year, which will only give more courage to fellow players. Impossible is nothing is indeed the mantra that these wins will drill into more young Indian minds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    ...and here is one more of those meaningless online debates, and polls comparing players from different generations:

The proposal:
    Saina Nehwal has eclipsed Prakash Padukone

http://www.firstpost.com/debates/sai...20121025110002
    Its one those useless debates that compares people different eras who have nothing in common... almost..
    Its totally unfair...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Now, IPL-type Indian Badminton League

Biswajyoti Brahma, TNN Oct 24, 2012
    http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...on-association

Excerpts:

The IBL, based on a franchise model and tentatively scheduled to be held from January 20 to February 11 next year, would have $1 million (approx Rs 5.5 crore) as prize money, the highest for any badminton tournament in the world, sources close to the event told TOI on Tuesday.

...Sources said the event, which will have six city-based franchises, would try to rope in top players from countries like China, South Korea, Singapore and Malaysia and other country with "hefty appearance fees".

Former India stars like Pullela Gopichand and Pradeep Gandhe are part of the governing council of the IBL which has BAI's president Akhilesh Das Gupta as chairman.

Badminton legend Prakash Padukone has been approached to come on board as an advisor. BAI has asked Sporty Solutionz Pvt Limited to plan and execute the event.

Sources said the IBL organizers are planning to rope in Bollywood stars like Aamir Khan and Deepika Padukone, daughter of Prakash, besides former cricketer Sunil Gavaskar, a former member of the IPL governing council.

"Aamir is known to be an avid badminton fan and has always encouraged Saina (Nehwal), while Deepika not only carries the famous Padukone surname but was a state-level player herself," sources said.

They added that Aamir was most likely to be offered the 'brand ambassador' role for IBL and Deepika will most probably be one of the city-based franchisee owners. "Gavaskar is being approached to play a big role in the IBL."

..."We are holding this tournament with some goals in mind. First, it's aimed at creating more and more opportunities for Indian players. Then, it will help participation of top players in India which is good for the sport in the country. It will also help upcoming players as they would be getting a chance to play the world's top stars," said Gandhe, winner of two bronze medals in the 1982 Asian Games.

Times View
    The launch of a badminton league along the lines of the IPL is a most welcome development. Along with the fact that India had its largest haul of medals at the recent Olympics, it is a sign of the fact that the country is beginning to make strides in sports other than cricket.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even i have heard some league kind of thing happened recently in chennai. I dont know the details. But i have heard the same. Let the IPL come and boost the affinity towards badminton in our country to maximum. This is what i want. Hereafter no one country should dominate this lovable sport. I wish this to happen soon and encourage the badminton lovers to the core. But i hope no money loitering, match fixing , bookies etc etc should be allowed as if it happened in cricket in recent times. I am seeing no much distance in grabbing a yellow colour medal for this lovable sport in our country in the years to come. May be 3 indians in 1,2,3 positions. Thats what is my dream.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankfully to Gopichand and Saina we still have few good prospects in singles and these singles have been carrying India into world stage of badminotn, India could be considered just below the Top 5 nations of the world so far just on the strength of singles players(we do have a few just about their kind of doubles players ofcourse)but unless the doubles category also takes a leaf from the singles players India can never be a power. there are 3 categories for doubles and India lacks in all the three... IMO the doubles game happens to be much more exciting due to the pace of the game and is easier from a single player per-se as it gives one player some time to breath in between. Unless a few good doubles player rise up we can not be a serious contenders in team cups... which also contribute to show the strength of a country... Hopefully this league takes care of this aspect as well...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gopalprasad View Post
    Thankfully to Gopichand and Saina we still have few good prospects in singles and these singles have been carrying India into world stage of badminotn, India could be considered just below the Top 5 nations of the world so far just on the strength of singles players(we do have a few just about their kind of doubles players ofcourse)but unless the doubles category also takes a leaf from the singles players India can never be a power. there are 3 categories for doubles and India lacks in all the three... IMO the doubles game happens to be much more exciting due to the pace of the game and is easier from a single player per-se as it gives one player some time to breath in between. Unless a few good doubles player rise up we can not be a serious contenders in team cups... which also contribute to show the strength of a country... Hopefully this league takes care of this aspect as well...
    i agree. In my opinion India was good in the doubles just because of Jwala Gutta, but now that she is not playing, things are not looking good for Indian badminton team. We need more players like her. I think most people just go for singles and don't take attention of doubles.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default A very nice article!

Worth a read!!
    The game we grew up with

"Bookworm", October 28, 2012
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/10/2...-grew-up-with/

Some excerpts:

Kids today are born with a Playstation in one hand and an iPhone in other. But for us, who grew up in the 90s, having a self-owned cricket set or badminton racket was the coolest thing in the world. At that time, when there were no dedicated cartoon channels on TV, video games owned by a few, computers even rarer and internet a make-believe world, parents insisted on their children getting fresh air every evening. So every kid – fat or thin, good or bad, shy or mischievous – assembled at the local park or ground or any tiny space in his/her colony and played good old-fashioned games that supplied their daily dose of exercise.

...Badminton is more of a childhood game that we played as kids, locally or in school or at picnics and outings. For the most part, our badminton rackets lie in some secluded corner of the house or over the cupboard gathering dust.But thanks to one young woman, kids today at least “know” badminton.

...Such is the Saina effect that the BAI (Badminton Association of India) has planned to launch the IBL (Indian Badminton League), a million-dollar event, to encourage interest in the game. The IBL is supposed to take place between January 20 and February 11 next year with $ 1 million as prize money.

...IBL might be a big hit next year. However, its true test would be whether it is able to prolong the interest of the Indian psyche for more than just one season. Talented players like Saina Nehwal carry on their shoulders the onus to glamorize badminton and confer on it the respect it deserves.

And mere commoners like us bear the responsibility to revere and acknowledge the game that we all grew up with…

And this one comment posted by a contributor on the article page:

Ram Mohan Andol · Founder at Vision Adventure WHAT IS BADMINTON:

It is the only game that requires the following:
    1. The Agility of an Acrobat (Gymnast).
    2. The Killer instinct of a Panther.
    3. The Accuracy of a Marksman.
    4. The Power of a Racehorse.
    5. The Speed of a Sprinter.
    6. The Stamina of a Marathon Runner.

Embrace Badminton into your lifestyle and your world would change!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually want BAI to complete the auctions as early as possible and then promote IBL as many still haven't heard of it even.It would be interesting whether the billionaires who fought hard for IPL teams would show interest in IBL or not....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by depleter View Post
    I actually want BAI to complete the auctions as early as possible and then promote IBL as many still haven't heard of it even.It would be interesting whether the billionaires who fought hard for IPL teams would show interest in IBL or not....
    The good thing with badminotn is it still has presence through out the country, though mostly in the backyards, but yes people do love it and is one of the most played sports, I know a couple of my female friends who have never played cricket but badminton almost everybody did... Sorry I mistook your comments about many havent heard of it to be regarding the sports while it seems to be for IBL... IMO The fate of Badminton league wouldnt be like hockey as we are having good results internationally and they need to come in to push the growth of sports, the IBL needs to be shown on TV may be giving the telecast rights to Dordarshan could help here, also it should be given imortance at school levels if thats there there would be no stopping.......
    Last edited by gopalprasad; 11-04-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IBL to be held in June-July

Badminton lovers may have to wait a little longer for the start of the million-dollar Indian Badminton League (IBL). While it was earlier announced that the League will be held in early 2013, sources said on Saturday that the tournament, that is expected to have the leading players of the world, will be held from June 24 to July 9 next year.
    The Badminton World Federation (BWF) had given two windows for the inter-city tournament, sources said. “The BWF had offered two windows to host the IBL *—January 21 to February 9, 2013 and June 24 to July 9, 2013. It has been decided to hold the League from June 24 to July 9, 2013,” sources said.
    The reason for having the League in mid-2013 is the availability of the leading players in the world as these dates don’t clash with any Super Series tournament or other prestigious tournament. “Besides, January-February schedule clashes with examination time in India and a lot of kids and young people wouldn’t be able to watch it and be part of the IBL,” said an official. “In many parts of India, schools are on vacations till July 4 and colleges till July 21. It’s still early stage of their academic season and gives them good time to enjoy the IBL from June 24-July 9.”
    The organisers are yet to finalise on the six cities where the franchisee-owned teams will be based. “We have to decide from about 10 cities where badminton is highly popular,” said the source. Among the cities where badminton is popular are Mumbai, Pune, Lucknow, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Nagpur. The governing council of the IBL will meet in Mumbai on November 10.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...e-july_1759927

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it's about time to begin a separate thread for "Indian Badminton League."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indian Badminton league to be launched on NOV 10.
    http://www.firstpost.com/sports/indian-badminton-league-to-start-on-10-november-516618.html

The much-talked about Indian Badminton League (IBL), that is being promised as the vehicle to bring in big money to the nation’s shuttlers, will be launched here on November 10 in presence of London Olympics bronze medallist Saina Nehwal.
    The launch would be done at a Bandra hotel in the presence of Saina, national coach P Gopichand, other Indian badminton team members and Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Dr Akhilesh Das Gupta, it was learnt.
    The League, that is to involve city-based franchise teams similar to cricket’s cash-rich Indian Premier League, vouches a total of USD 1 million as the prize money on offer, the ”highest prize money in badminton anywhere in the world,” according to information put up on Sporty Solutionz Pvt Ltd’s website — the commercial partner of the BAI.
    SO, here it comes...Wow I am pretty much excited about this.The thing I still wanted to know is that whether there will be auctions as in Ipl as they always said that this league would be similar to that of IPL.The auctions might actually increase the weekly average wage during the league as auction style has taken Ipl the second highest average weekly paying league only behind NBA.I would actually prefer it to be broad casted in ESPN or starsports rather than Neo sports which is currently broadcasting the super series as many cable operators doesn't actually show NEO sports.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    I think it's about time to begin a separate thread for "Indian Badminton League."
    Yes. Definitely deserves a separate thread. Since it's your idea, kindly start it. Lets hope its a BIG thing.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast