User Tag List

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: India Badminton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removed duplicate post
    Last edited by rogerv2; 02-19-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rogerv2 View Post

I can agree with most of the suggestions except
    1) Crack down on overage menace:
    Bone testing? I am sure everyone has an ID, right?
    If 50 - 60% are overage something is fundamentally wrong with the ID verification.
    How do they do bone testing? Bone samples or by external non intrusive methods?

2)
    Enable both scoring formats:
    So who decides which one to use? Toss of coin?
    Players are already complaining of too many tournaments. If 15 points system are rolled out again, we are going to have super long long matches and probably more injuries.

Nope ... Not everyone in India has an ID and even the people having them contains manipulated information.This is the main problem if you have some 1.3 billion people. But however the GOVT have introduced ID system last year. But I don't think the overage problem would be eradicated with it as people change their birthdates to a year or two less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by depleter View Post
    Nope ... Not everyone in India has an ID and even the people having them contains manipulated information.This is the main problem if you have some 1.3 billion people. But however the GOVT have introduced ID system last year. But I don't think the overage problem would be eradicated with it as people change their birthdates to a year or two less.
    Ok. However is this a big problem in terms of developing badminton talents?
    So it will be pitting juniors with more matured individuals and most likely the juniors might lose out on some titles.

Looking at it positively, if a real junior wins this title then they must be really good for their age.
    If the winner is really good they will progress far else how long can they keep up this con job? +- 2 year? So it is not really a big problem.

Bone testing is not really practical in terms of cost for the cash strapped organisers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to know how China handles ID related issues as they have almost the same population as India.
    Rank Country (or dependent territory) Population Date % of world
    population
    Source
    1 China[7] 1,354,040,000 December 31, 2012 19.16% Official estimate
    2 India 1,210,193,422 March 1, 2011 17.12% 2011 census
    Last edited by rogerv2; 02-20-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. However is this a big problem in terms of developing badminton talents?
    So it will be pitting juniors with more matured individuals and most likely the juniors might lose out on some titles.

Looking at it positively, if a real junior wins this title then they must be really good for their age.
    If the winner is really good they will progress far else how long can they keep up this con job? +- 2 year? So it is not really a big problem.

Bone testing is not really practical in terms of cost for the cash strapped organisers.
    Hmmm... Yupp bone testing is not practical especially in badminton as it's resources are not as huge as other sports. I was just pointing out a natural problem of overage in India.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to know how China handles ID related issues as they have almost the same population as India.
    Rank Country (or dependent territory) Population Date % of world
    population
    Source
    1 China[7] 1,354,040,000 December 31, 2012 19.16% Official estimate
    2 India 1,210,193,422 March 1, 2011 17.12% 2011 census
    Looks like you can find those details in WIKI.
    China too have a personal identification system...but that's only compulsory for ages above 16.
    So, the manipulation can still take place I think.
    If you want the latest Indian system ..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_...ority_of_India

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like you can find those details in WIKI.
    China too have a personal identification system...but that's only compulsory for ages above 16.
    So, the manipulation can still take place I think.
    If you want the latest Indian system ..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_...ority_of_India
    Yeah, too lazy to read all the way down. Thanks for the info.

BTW, does anybody know how to get rid of "someone quoted you email notification".
    It is pretty much useless as it does not link to the actual thread.
    Previously I get notification for any reply to the thread which is perfect.
    Dont know why suddenly this quoted email started popping up instead.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Try:
    Settings -> General Settings -> Default thread subscription mode -> Through Control Panel only.

Hope it works!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Changes in scoring system has worked well for Indians" - Uday Pawar Interview

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/02/2...war-interview/

EXCERPTS:

Former international shuttler Uday Pawar has served Indian badminton with distinction in both singles and doubles. A former national coach, he presently runs the Uday Pawar Badminton Academy in Mumbai. His son Anand Pawar is a top Indian shuttler, while his wife Sujata is also a former international shuttler. Uday talks about his playing days, the health of Indian badminton and much more in an exclusive interview to Sportskeeda

Tell us a bit about your early days in badminton – how did you take up the sport?

I was born and brought up in Lonavala. I liked to play all sports at a young age and was the captain of my Don Bosco school team in sports like badminton, cricket and table tennis. My late father P.D.Pawar, was a cricketer, who played for the Combined Universities and was a sports lover, who used to organise state-level tournaments in Lonavala every year. When I was about 10 years old, I won a badminton tournament in Lonavala defeating a good player from Mumbai and since then, badminton became my biggest passion.

Can you enlighten us on how you started off on the domestic circuit at various age levels?

Well, during those days, there was only under-18 category in the junior level. I was fortunate that at the age of 13, I was playing outside Lonavala for the first time and fared well and was selected to represent Pune district and for Maharashtra. I also won my first national crown in junior doubles with Sanjay Sharma the same year. I later went on to win 3 more junior national doubles titles with my good friend Madhur Bezbora and the mixed doubles title when the event was first introduced in the juniors, with Manik Paranjpe. In the junior singles, I was not so successful as I lost two national finals to Syed Modi.

Do you have any fond memories of your first senior nationals?

I still remember I beat four seeded players and reached the finals of my first senior nationals in 1976, where I lost to Prakash Padukone in a close match. In fact, those days both the junior and senior nationals were held simultaneously; there is an interesting statistic – Prakash Padukone is the only player from India to win both the titles in the same year. Ami Ghia Shah was the winner in the Seniors and finalist in the Junior; interestingly, my wife Sujata was the junior champion and runners-up in the Seniors (she and Ami won one title each and had reached the finals in both events in the same year). I have the dubious distinction of losing both the finals in the same year – juniors to Syed Modi and the seniors to Prakash Padukone.

Can you tell us a bit about your first international tournament?

After reaching the finals in my first senior nationals at the age of 17 at Jallandhar in 1976, I was selected to represent India in the first-ever World Championship held in Sweden (Malmo). I lost in the first round in three games, but the sheer experience of representing the country in such a prestigious event was an an honour and a big boost for my badminton career.

What are your biggest wins in singles and doubles?

I was good in both singles and doubles – I won several national doubles titles and was the singles runners-up twice – lost to Prakash Padukone and then Syed Modi. In hindsight, I feel that I should have perhaps concentrated on one of the two events as playing in two events put me at a distinct disadvantage against players like Prakash and Modi, who played only singles. My workload used to be double and that means I was never fresh by the time I reached the finals. I defeated Modi twice, but could never beat Prakash who was too good, but I consider myself lucky to have partnered Prakash in doubles during Thomas Cup and other team events. My advice to youngsters is to play both singles and doubles till they are 17-18 years old, but then specialize in one of the two events.
    We won many laurels for the country at the Asian Games and the Commonwealth Games. I learnt a lot of my badminton from Prakash when we partnered each other in doubles and I consider him as one of the most intelligent and clever players produced by India. In fact, we all (his contemporaries) still call him “BOSS” with respect and affection!
    How has badminton changed over the years?

Badminton has changed a lot over the years because of better equipments, scientific training/coaching and also because of the change in the scoring system. The game has become faster and more aggressive, now even coaching is allowed between points, which have made the role of a coach more vital. Earlier, a player had to use his own brains to outwit an opponent, but today, a coach can do the thinking for the player, which is not such a good thing as it has robbed the game of its natural flair.

Which has been your most memorable international match and why?

The deciding match that me and Prakash won in doubles at the 1986 Seoul Olympics beating world no. 5 Japanese pair of Matsura & Matsuno to win the bronze medal. India qualifying for the Thomas Cup finals in 1978 & 1989 are other high points of my playing career. In singles, I beat players like Icuk Sugiarto who became the world champion in 1983. I also defeated Kevin Jolly, who was the European champion – these wins are really special for me.

How close are Indian shuttlers in terms of matching the mighty Chinese in all departments of the game?

Look, the change in the scoring format about five years ago has augured well for the India players – the earlier system favoured players with only superior fitness. This format is good for the Indian players as it needs good skills and temperament, which we are good at. There are more breaks in the game, which allow a player to recover and start afresh. One does not have to be as fit as the Chinese or Indonesians, but even if one attains about 80-85% of their fitness, it is enough as we have better skills and temperament.

How do you look at the current health of Indian badminton?

Players like Saina Nehwal and Parupalli Kashyap have broken into the top 5 and 10 respectively and now it’s a question of maintaining their fitness and grabbing the opportunities that come their way. They are an inspiration to all the aspiring youngsters from India, who should go all out without any fear or doubt. Their attitude should be – if Saina and Kashyap can do it, so can we.

Tell us a bit about your badminton academy –how did it come up and how is it shaping up?

I was the coach of the senior national team for seven years and our team fared very well during those years, winning medals at the Commonwealth Games as well as qualifying for the Thomas Cup final rounds twice. But, then staying away from the family without getting paid for my services was tough on me. I got the inspiration to start an academy from my coach Mr. P. Pramanik, and formally started it 12 years ago, but even before that I was coaching privately and had produced players like Manjusha Pawangadkar, Sachin Ratti, Vincent Lobo and Sushant Chippalkatti – players who became national champions and went on to win international laurels as well. The unique point about my academy is that all the players have started playing as beginners under my guidance and have gone on to win national titles and represent the country.
    Players like my son Anand, Tanvi Lad, Harshil Dani and others have won national titles, beating players from all over the country. Our academy, which is being run in association with a lot of encouragement from Goregaon Sports Club comprises about 25 players of various age groups. We do not have a sponsor now or in all these years, but I have not lost hope. Our efforts are there to be seen in the form of results and we hope these talented youngsters do get support and better facilities that they deserve.
    How do you assess Anand Pawar’s performance on the international stage –what’s more you want him to achieve?

Anand was doing very well 2-3 years ago, but he had a major setback in 2009 when he sustained a back injury in his spine. He has won 7 international tournaments over the years, even came very close to beating top-10 player like Sony Dwi Kuncero, played 3 games with the great Lee Chong Wei, but needs to be more consistent and mentally strong. Indian players have traditionally done well at an age later than most Chinese or Indonesians, so the next few years are important for Anand. He has the potential to be a top-10 player and I, as his father and coach along with my wife Sujata, are doing our best to help him. But the journey to the top is his and we pray that he achieves the goals that he has set for himself.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

India's Saili Rane won the WS title in Uganda International tournament. And india's Dey Subhankar ended runner up.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/NEWS/tabid...91/763891.aspx

EXCERPTS:

Sri Lanka's Dinuka Karunaratre and Rane Saili from India are the 2013 Uganda International Badminton Open Championships winners of the men's and women's singles respectively.

The tournament that climaxed on Sunday at the MTN Arena, Lugogo saw Dinuka, brother to last year's winner Niluka beat India's Dey Subhankar 21-16, 21-17 in a game that lasted 34 minutes. Subhankar took the lead in the two games, but Dinuka's good game reading and clever net play was enough to win him the title.

"This is a great win because we are making sure this title goes to Sri Lanka again after my brother won it last year. I have liked the tournament because it has been very competitive and beating an Indian in the tournament is even so sweet because they are a big badminton playing nation in Asia," a happy Karunaratre told Xinhua News after the tough game.

To reach the final, Subhankar beat Italy's Daniel Messersi, while Karunaratre humbled another Italian player Giovanni Greco.

In the women's final Saili saw off Egypt's Hosny Hadia 21-12, 21-12 in a one sided final. Hadia, Africa's second best player said she faced a strong player, but she was happy to reach the final and get world ranking points.

The pair of Greco and Messersi got a consolation win in the men's doubles after seeing off the Egyptian pair of El Sayad and Ahmed Kashkal 21-18, 21-18.

Africa's best female player Gabriel Grace from Nigeria combined well with Aboobakar Shama (Mauritius) to stop the Ugandan pair of Shamim Bangi and Magareat Nankabirwa in the women's doubles final 21-13, 18-21, 21-12 in a game that kept the local home supporters on their toes.

"We are happy to reach the final although we did not win," said Bangi who also reached the semis of the women's singles.

It was an all Egyptian final in the mixed doubles when El Sayad and Ashraf Nadine beat Hosny Nadia and Ahmed Kashkal 14-21, 21-15, 21-19.

The tournament sanctioned by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) attracted players from Nigeria, Germany, Hungary, Scotland, Italy, India, Mauritius, Egypt, Kenya and hosts Uganda.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Badminton coaching clinic for coaches

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/badminton/Badminton-coaching-clinic-for-coaches/articleshow/18676406.cms

EXCERPTS:

GoSports Foundation will organize a coaching clinic for coaches at the Prakash Padukone Badminton Academy from February 28 to March 2 with Indonesian coach Yusuf Jauhari - the brother of noted trainer Atik - taking charge.

The 56-year-old Yusuf, who has over three decades of experience in training junior talent, has been the head coach of a national junior training camp in Jakarta for more than six years.

The coaches clinic will be held between 10 am and 1pm. GoSports will hold a similar camp at the Pullela Gopichand Academy in Hyderabad in the last week of March. Contact: foundation@gosports.in

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

H.S.Prannoy proved it that he was too good to Boonsak. This kerala youngster has took the match completely into his control and won the match against veteran Ponsanna. He will meet the conquerer of Chen Yueken. Lets see how he performs today. Outstanding effort by him. Am very eager to see his upcoming match today. All the very best Prannoy.

Name:  h_s__prannoy_1363185239_540x540.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  134.3 KB
    Last edited by scorpion1; 03-13-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sporty Solutionz named marketing partners for India Open

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-partners.html

EXCERPTS:

The Badminton Association of India (BAI) has announced Sporty Solutionz (P) Ltd as the Marketing and Event Partner for the prestigious India Open Super Series for the next three years.

The 2013 edition of the tournament, with a prize purse of USD 200,000, will be held at the Siri Fort Indoor Sports Complex here from April 23-28.

BAI President Dr Akhilesh Das Gupta said the association with Sporty Solutionz is a step taken to make the India Open Super Series one of the most successful badminton tournaments in the world.

"The partnership will take Indian badminton to greater heights. The India Open Super Series has made a spectacular impact in raising the stake of the sport in the country," Dr Gupta said.

"We hope the tie-up with Sporty Solutionz will push the benchmark further and help badminton catch the imagination of the youth in India."

Delighted with the association, Sporty Solutionz CEO Ashish Chadha said, "We are honoured to come on board as the marketing and event partners for the next three years. We thank BAI and will strive to deliver a successful 2013 India Open Super Series and for the years to come."

Sporty Solutionz are also the Commercial Partner for the upcoming USD 1 million Indian Badminton League.

Hereafter, we will be able to hear this company's name more often !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    Sporty Solutionz named marketing partners for India Open

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-partners.html

EXCERPTS:

The Badminton Association of India (BAI) has announced Sporty Solutionz (P) Ltd as the Marketing and Event Partner for the prestigious India Open Super Series for the next three years.

The 2013 edition of the tournament, with a prize purse of USD 200,000, will be held at the Siri Fort Indoor Sports Complex here from April 23-28.

BAI President Dr Akhilesh Das Gupta said the association with Sporty Solutionz is a step taken to make the India Open Super Series one of the most successful badminton tournaments in the world.

"The partnership will take Indian badminton to greater heights. The India Open Super Series has made a spectacular impact in raising the stake of the sport in the country," Dr Gupta said.

"We hope the tie-up with Sporty Solutionz will push the benchmark further and help badminton catch the imagination of the youth in India."

Delighted with the association, Sporty Solutionz CEO Ashish Chadha said, "We are honoured to come on board as the marketing and event partners for the next three years. We thank BAI and will strive to deliver a successful 2013 India Open Super Series and for the years to come."

Sporty Solutionz are also the Commercial Partner for the upcoming USD 1 million Indian Badminton League.

Hereafter, we will be able to hear this company's name more often !!!
    Hope you can post some videos of this tournament when it starts.
    Web streaming will probably be unbearable.

BTW, do you have any news on Sindhu?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just like to point out with the Uday Pawar interview, there seems to be some misinformation. Seoul was in 1988.

Also, I can only find the wikipedia reference for hte results and in that, the Japanese pair are listed 3rd plce.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Just like to point out with the Uday Pawar interview, there seems to be some misinformation. Seoul was in 1988.

Also, I can only find the wikipedia reference for hte results and in that, the Japanese pair are listed 3rd plce.

Yes, Seoul hosted Asian Games in 1986. And the Indian pair was the bronze medalist there... A much bigger and tougher competition than the Olympics Not in the Seoul Olympics 1988 The Seoul Olympics of 88 had badminton as the demonstration game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashwini ends her partnership with Jwala.
    For good, with Jwala taking a long sabbatical and showing interest in being an item girl in movies and indulging more in the talking stuff then actually playing, Ashwini gets a chance to end her partnership and be serious and focus.
    Hope the WD scene ses some rise in serious badminton in India now.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...w/19099721.cms
    Excerpts:
    HYDERABAD: In a surprise move, Ashwini Ponnappa has decided to end her doubles partnership with Jwala Gutta.

The Jwala-Ashwini duo has been the most successful women's doubles team in Indian badminton history, the only Indian pair to win a medal (bronze) at the World Championships, in England in 2011. They had also clinched the women's doubles gold at the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games.

Jwala decided to take a break from badminton after her unsuccessful campaign at the London Olympics last year after which Ashwini played with Pradnya Gadre.

When Jwala returned in January 2013, she wanted to partner Ashwini and had even said that she would only concentrate on women's doubles with an eye on the 2016 Olympics.

But Ashwini did not evince interest as she had already promised Pradnya that she would play with her till this month's All England Championships.

Jwala then wanted to partner Prajakta Sawant. But Sawant did not make it to London for the All England meet due to issues with her visa and Jwala had to make do with playing only in the mixed doubles alongside Valiyaveetil Diju.

TOI has learnt on Wednesday that on return from England, Ashwini has written to the Badminton Association of India (BAI), saying that henceforth she intended to partner Pradnya in all tournaments, which in effect rules out the possibility of playing with Jwala again.

Ashwini, who is out of country for an international tournament, was not available for comment. But Pradnya was excited to continue her partnership with Ashwini.

"Immediately after the All England, Ashwini told me that she would continue with me. I am really excited to play with her, it was a great learning experience," Pradnya said, adding that it is very difficult to replace a player of Jwala's calibre.

"Jwala is a good player and it would be difficult for me to fill her boots. But I am confident of doing well with Ashwini," she added.

Jwala, who is busy shooting for a Telugu movie, will continue playing with Diju in mixed doubles. The duo will feature in the Asian Championships and then the Indian Open.

"Initially, Jwala wanted to play only women's doubles and so I started playing with an Indonesian girl. But Jwala asked me to renew the partnership. I am happy to play with Jwala and hopefully we will continue for a few years," Diju said.

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast