2009 USA Team Trials Photos

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Bubbles, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Bubbles

Bubbles Regular Member

Technical Writer
    I don't know where to put this, so I put it here. Moderators please tell me in the future. Put it in OCBC under local? or? Anyways here are some of my pics.

Attached Files:

2. Bubbles

Bubbles Regular Member

Technical Writer
    any suggestions?

Kwun, ctjcad, any scene composition, and other pointers or comments or tips are welcome.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    THEY ARE EXCELLENT!

a lot of improvement since the last time. exposures are good and timing are spot on.

my only advice would be to improve post processing cropping. either crop way in to just show the player, or try to place the player in some meaningful fashion in the frame.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

- I didn't know there's another U.S. team trial for this yr? Or is this for 2010? Is Andy T. going for the U.S. team try-out??..
    - A lot of those junior players wanted to participate in the Birdievent Winter tournament but...........were "overqualified"..:p
    - I noticed you probably did quite a bit of post-processing (contrast, brightness/darkness).
    - I like the different facial expression captures. Hard to get them, but when you do, they really tell a lot.
    - Your next chance to try those suggestions will be at this coming weekend's USBDF Winter Junior International..;)

#4 ctjcad, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  5. Bubbles

Bubbles Regular Member

Technical Writer
    Kwun: about the crop I guess I still need to learn more about scene composition.
    Ctjcad: yes there is a US team trial for uber cup I think or suderman cup I forgot which. Monkie did try out. He played with Son another strong vietnamese player that coaches in the San Diego area. Well, with US team trials and also USBDF winter junior international, I don't think it would be wise for them to play in a tournament a week before but that's just IMHO. As for the pictures, I didn't do much except for black level and contrast. For the pictures I expose them +1 I think so I can tweak the black level a bit more. I batch processed them in lightroom. Oh thank heaven for that software. Sped things up so much. As for the facial expressions, I tried it couple times, all the kids or players didn't really care for those pics ha ha they wanted me to capture their stop motions. But I will try that again this weekend. Kinda tired of stop motion anyways. Will u be there this weekend or u still have that friendship tournament thing at ABC?

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Nice pics. :) I like it...

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Okay..

- Yep, i just checked the tournamentsoftware website and there was a 2010 USA Badminton Team Trials:
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament.aspx?id=43111ECB-4723-43B1-B0A4-28EE9FCF462A
    They'll participate in next yr's Thomas & Uber Cup team events, as well as other team events (Sudirman Cup occurred this yr). I guess our Vtec101 will be traveling w/them to M'sia for the T&U Cups??..:confused:;)
    I haven't seen the official list, but i guess the winners (or the U.S. representatives) for next yr are:
    Sattawat P., Arnold S., Cee K., Rena W., Sameera G., Vincent N., Phillip C., Eva L., Priscilla L., Mesinee M., Nicholas J., Rulan Y.??..
    - You can take both the stop/freeze motions and the facial expressions pics..:cool:..How many lens(es) did you use??..
    - I'd like to join you guys, but unfortunately i'll be pretty tied up with other commitments this coming weekend. I **might** swing by next Monday...;)
    - The Birdievent. Winter team competition is over. For the next edition, maybe in March, you can help take a few pics..;)

8. Bubbles

Bubbles Regular Member

Technical Writer
    OMG somebody gets to travel with them? so awesome. I wish I could get sponsored to travel with them. What does Vtec101 do? Stringer?
    As for freeze motion / facial that's if I have like 2 cameras with 2 lens I think ha ha. I don't really want to change lens on the go in there. I dunno I will see what I can do about both. I saw your pics Chris so I kinda understand what you're shooting for.
    I will only be at OCBC for saturday and maybe sunday :_( so I will probably not see you if you go on monday.
    Msg me during march, I'll see if I can make it. But i think there's another tournament already at ABC this weekend.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

For these..

- Yes, Vtec101 as well as Halim and a couple other coaches traveled with the U.S. Thomas & Uber Cup squads in 2008 to Jakarta, Indonesia. But Vtec101 went with them to assist the coaches & players. And no, i don't think he is a stringer.;)
    - You can capture facial expressions and freeze motions without changing lens. For facial expression capture, you may have to come up close and next to the court. Then for freeze motion capture, you then pull back away from the court. But yes, i understand, it's much better having 2 cameras/lenses at your disposal.
    You can check out this yr's HK Open pics for a bit of inspiration;):
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77448&page=6
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77448&page=7
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77448&page=11
    - Another tournament @ ABC this weekend? Saturday or Sunday? If Sunday, then it's probably the Superbird MD & WD events.
    For the event in March, check out the ABC sub-forum for the news.

#9 ctjcad, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  10. Bubbles

Bubbles Regular Member

Technical Writer
    One big difference is that the photos AC Chan, Cheung and others take aren't photo processed much. Maybe just exposure. ANyways as of yesterday ,I'm playing at ABC this weekend's tourney, I will try to get some OCBC junior international pics in for sunday.