American Caucasian badminton players

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bigredlemon, Nov 19, 2002.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I was reading an old thread in which a troll flammed something to the effect of Americans don't like badminton because they are too large to play. Do you think there's any truth to this? In the clubs I've been to, it was mostly asians. About 90% chinese, 5% other asian (including India, etc), and 5% Caucasian. The asians there had assorts of sizes, but the caucasians were nearly always small-framed.

You can be 200 pounds (of fat, not muscle) and can somewhat still play football, baseball, and golf. In badminton however, excess fat (think large pot-belly) is a huge hinderence.

Maybe sponsorship in USA hasn't taken off because arm-chair athletes ('play' sports by watching TV!) can't relate to badminton, so advertising to them won't have much effect?

2. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    i'm sorry but in my area caucasians think badminton is a wussy style of tennis.. they're so stupid its not funny... some thugged out kid who thought he was good at badminton said to my friend (a nationally ranked, top 10 player) that he could beat him and really believed it to be true.those kids are just so arrogant.. but think about it, a caucasian person steps into a badminton club, immediately they feel they no longer have the superiority in numbers, and the majority has become the minority.. obviously it is a barrier, i guess it calls for ppl who don't mind standing out from the rest of the group and believe in what they do.

3. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    I think one of the bigger problems for badminton in america is that all Colleges and Universities have a Badminton team, for women only. This only adds to the perception that badminton is a womans sport:(

This past US open most of the finals were played by europeans or americans(asian-american), this should have shown a lot of spectators that badminton can be played at a high level even though you are caucasian. Peter gade, Peter Rassmusen, Simon Archer etc. I am sure a lot of spectators found this exciting, up until...............The check, the prize money. Oh well all that work, training and giving up your life for a few thousand dollars.

That is the real problem, its not about race its about money. When badminton makes the money there will be champions from america, a gold medal in the Olympics is not going to do anything for badminton in the U.S.

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Out of the 4 places I play at regularly, something like 90 different members, only 2 are US-born caucasians where the rest are asians (chinese, Indian, Malaysian, Korea,...etc) and immigrants from various countries in Europe.

Somehow people just need to be exposed to what badminton is really all about. The attitude that badminton is a "wussy" sport for skinny little asians is because of ignorance since none of them have never really seen a real game of badminton, and their own experience is when they were 5 and at the family picnic knocking a "bird" around with a 2 ft high net in between them.

As for the size, I don't really think that Americans are too big to play badminton. If you are tall, that's actually a huge advantage. If you are carrying a few spare tires around well, you aren't exactly fit to play any sport anyway, but I am around 200 lbs and modesty aside, I can be pretty darn fast on the court if I need to be.

Lately there have been a lot of discussions on the popularity of badminton and I've been thinking that perhaps the quickness of the game is actually a setback since a match can be over in matter of minutes. Hard to find commercial times for that and really advertise the event. Just a thought.

5. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    O man, my college didn't even have a women's team. If there was one, I'd put on a skirt and join. :D

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    As in East Coast, badminton is not as popular as in west. However, in the recent 1 or 2 years, I noticed that there are some positivie changes around where I live.

In my club, US born members significantly increased recently. I believe back then we only have no more than 3, but now, constantly I can see 6-8 of them practicing with us. Even though, most of them are beginners (2 are low int.), they did put in some efforts to get better. The first time, me and my partner played with the 2 low int. for a double match. Surprisely they have some stuff, and gave us some trouble at the beginning of the game. Even though, we left with a victory of big leads on board, we consider we had a good game. The two guys also asked us for some advise for how to improve their games.

Therefore, even though, most of US born players are still rookies in my club, I can see in the near future they can greatly improve themselves, if they can keep up with their work.

I like the fact, and I think that has something to do with the college (my club is a college club) offered badminton in PE courses these years.

7. Californian

Californian Regular Member

It wasn't always this way. In my early years of completing--the 70s--those numbers were reversed--90% Caucasian, 5% Asian, 5% other. Virtually all of our national team members were Caucasian. In the last 20 years (and primarily the last 10), we've gone from one extreme to another.

Badminton has never had a high profile, but I do think it was more popular at the grass roots level 25-30 yrs. ago. A lot of it has to do with the schools and recreation departments, and ultimately their budgets. Some of the things I've seen pass away..

*In the 70s, virtually EVERY high school and junior college, and many 4-year colleges and universities had teams that played other schools in league competition. Some colleges even offered scholarships. By the end of the 70s, the junior college programs folded, but about that time, the high school teams went to co-ed. Back then, there was more of an emphasis on physical education, and a certain number of units were required for graduation. The PE classes filled up, and the team players came out of these classes. But when education budgets had to be cut, badminton was usually one of the casualties.

*Colleges, high schools, and local recreation departments made gyms available exclusively for badminton play for a few hours per week. Often it was free play, or maybe cost a dollar or two at most.

*Within a 100-mile radius, there was a B-C-D tournament every month.

*You could go into many sporting goods stores and buy a top quality Carlton, Kennex, or Yonex racket right off the shelf. You could have a racket strung at most of these places, too.

Badminton suffered at the grass roots level due to tough economic times, de-emphasis on physical education in the schools, and rising costs (insurance, energy, maintainence). There isn't the exposure for kids now like there was.

8. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hmmm...take a look at our (Canadian) National players and you will see that most of them are caucasians so I don't think that's true.

Even looking through the up and coming players (Juniors), you see a lot of non-Asian names.

9. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

Danish players

Guys (and ladies),

This is definetely not a question of being Caucasian or not.

Try looking at the current Danish team and even previous Danish teams.

Thomas Stuer Lauridsen (even though he is retired) is 6' 3.

Morten Frost almost the same.

And what about Jens Eriksen.

I would suggest that all sizes of men and women can play badminton and reach the very top.

Size can be an advantage, because of the greater reach.

However, size can also be a problem - especailly if you need to react very fast.

So, I guess the reason for the low percentage of caucasian badminton players in the US is simply that the sport has lost the battle of attention to other sports.. probably mostly to tennis.. What to do about that is a question that I will leave for others to reply.

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Its all about background and culture.

For instance

In world tennis we are only just seeing a couple of black players at the top

IN english badminton we see very few black county players.

This does not mean black players have less genetic ability, its just that they are rare at all levels and there is no role model that is black.

Countries with less badminton popularity and success are European/American and have a greater average height as a race, amongst Danes / English you don't see the smallest players dominating the national teams, quite the opposite, from junior level through to international the average height is above average.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: American Caucasian badminton players

10000% agree. I am in NY, where education system is kinda in trouble in recent years. With huge amount of immigrats, a lot of public schools have way too much students than its actual capacity. For example, the high school I graduated (about 6 yrs ago), now has 3500+ students, which the school was designed for 1500. With only 1 gym available, it's impossible to keep a badminton program going, even though, that high school has huge % of Asians.

I have to say, compare to a lot of other sports, badminton is relatively expensive to keep. Thinking of the rackets, birds, nets, and the facility. Plus, badminton can't exist just in 1 isolated school alone. without a competitive league or tournament, players can easily lost the motivation to keep up.

12. bigredlemon

6 foot and 200 pounds? You better wear a lot of make-up if u want to fool them! :D

13. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    well a little off-topic but I am only 5'8" and back in high school we had this fashion show and I passed as a girl without anyone realizing it. Well, I was 175lbs back then. :D :p :D

14. bigredlemon

I guess it depends in the type of people you are around. I'm in toronto too, and most people i know seem to respect badminton as a legitamit, and difficult sport. Then again, lots of people I know play badminton so that might be why.

As for getting them to step onto a badminton court to play us, i'm sure that wouldn't be too difficult to arrange. I'm sure I could rent a court for a few hours, and buy a few cases of beer.

Then, i'll plaster posters everywhere, offering a free case of beer to anyone who can beat me at badminton. Only $2 entrance fee :D

Hopefully, i'll walk home with a fist full of cash and alot of satisfaction
    ;)

#14 bigredlemon, Nov 21, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2002
  15. bigredlemon

Does anybody know how much players get if they win the final round of NHL/NBA/MLB etc? I don't know, and i suspect most people who watch on TV doesn't know either. Big money could be a draw, (Who Want's to be a Millionaire? vs. Jepardy) but i don't think it makes a huge difference.

16. bigredlemon

Wow... get credits to play badminton? Where can i join??? :p

17. bigredlemon

Re: Danish players

I think you may have misunderstood me. I'm refering specifically to American caucasians. I think the obesity rate was around 60% for USA? It's much less in Canada and Europe. Maybe 200lb was too small in my example... i have no idea how much they weight, so i'll post a pic to illustrate my point.

Attached Files:

18. bigredlemon

Do you think that guy will play better at american football or badminton? He is going to be very embarrassed after a few rounds at any badminton club!

19. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Although my club is composed mostly of recreational players, there are about 6 old men who have bellies just like that and they are not embaressed. I always find it amusing when 4 of them play in the same game. They can only move in one direction and it will take them a few seconds to get back to position. But they've played each other so much that they know where the other guy will hit it and they anticipate and move there accordingly, so it evens out. :D

Phil

20. bigredlemon

I guess they have a lot of guts! :p
    (couldn't pass up a good pun :D)

Have you ever asked them how did they get into badminton? I only got into this sport by fluke actually.