Update:Dec 20.2009 SuperBird Tournament

Discussion in 'Arcadia Badminton Club ( ABC )' started by SuperBird, Dec 14, 2009.

1. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Men Doubles Dec.20.2009 Challenge Rule

SuperBird Men Doubles Challenge Rule for Dec.20.2009 Time:1PM @ABC

Only 1 Singles game match Elimination: $10 Entry Fee + Entrance(non-member)
    Players need to have a partner:partner will be of your Choice.(No-level regulation for this one.Have fun, and take the Challenge!!!!)If you need a partner, please email:info@superbirdbadminton.com I will give you a list to pick from.

-A match consists of best of 3 games.
    -The side that first scored 21 points shall win.
    -The side winning a rally shall add 1 point to its score.
    -If a score becomes 20-20, the side which scores 2 consecutive points shall win that game.
    -If the score becomes 29-29, the side that scores the 30th point shall win that game.
    -The side winning a game serves first in the next game.
    -When one side reaches 11 points, both players get a 60 second break.
    -Both sides get a 2-minute break between first and second games, and another 2-minute break between second and third game.
    -Other rules shall remain the same.
    Note:
    1 Consolation round to 15pt ONLY: 1 Team to reach 15pts WIN.
    #1 Place: Money & Medals
    #2 Place: Money & Medals

_____________________________________________________________________________________
    SuperBird Survival Men Doubles Rule for Dec 20.2009: $5.00 Entry + Entrance(non-member): TIME:1PM @ABC
    -Experience Players will Random Pick Names of weaker players from Boxes.

-A match consists of 1 games to 25pts
    -The side that first scored 25 points shall win.
    -When one side reaches 12 points, switch side & 2 minute water break.

-There will be first consolation to 15pts.
    #1 Place:Money & Medals
    #2 Place: Prize Only

-Experience Players will Random Pick Names of weaker players from Boxes.

-A match consists of 1 games to 25pts
    -The side that first scored 25 points shall win.
    -When one side reaches 12 points, switch side & 2 minute water break.

-There will be first consolation to 15pts.
    #1 Place:Money & Medals
    #2 Place: Prize Only

or goto
    www.superbirdbadminton.com
    If you have any question: info@superbirdbadminton.com

2. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    UPDATE:

MEN DOUBLES CHALLENGE DEC.20.2009

So far, 10 pairs have sign up for this event:$10 entry + entrance (non-member)
    please check www.superbirdbadminton.com (for players listing under Tournament sign up.)

Price Money #1 place= Total $100 & medals
    Price Money #2 place= Total $60 & medals
    They will be raffle for 5 Free superbird T-shirts & prizes
    Good luck to all.
    (All-levels are welcome to partner up: it's a challenge, so step up your game.)
    Best of 3 rounds 21 pts. system & 1 consolation.

Note: IF there are more pairs = More Winning $$$$$ for the players.

Last Superbird's Tournament of 2009!!!!!

So have fun & Take the challenge........................

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I heard..

..there wasn't much challenge to the winning pairs in both events, as some "A" level players came and whitewashed the rest of the competition.
    It's almost like, might as well just give them the money loot...:p
    Anyway, but very smart of them to take advantage of this event & i'm sure they'll keep their eyes & ears open for the next edition.:cool:

4. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    You heard right.... there was a very wide range of skill levels. My bro and I played in the $10 choose-your-own-partner men's doubles event. If I were to rank ourselves as a C-level pair, then the opponents we had for the first match would probably be ranked D. On our second match, I would rank our opponents a B, and of course we got our ass kicked. :p

It is a good thing that the Superbird tourneys are gaining popularity and attracting all levels of players, but I would suggest starting to organize separate events for different levels of players for future tournaments. :)

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I also heard..^^

- Lucky Eddie got one of the "A" players to be his partner in the $5 MD event. And of course, Lucky Eddie and his partner got the winning money loot and laffed all the way home.;)
    - That different levels of competition should also apply for Rudy's Team Birdievent tournament. If not, and if real prize money is involved, pretty soon there'll only be 3 or 4 total teams (instead of 8 or 12 teams) competing with all the top "A" level players filling in the teams.:eek::p

6. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    If the team event remains free, then I think the turn-out will still be pretty good.

But my bro and I are not willing to pay another $20 to get our butts handed to us..... I'll save that money for a good dinner :p

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Off topic-From the last i heard..^^

..(just heard, not confirmed yet) *drum roll please*..........the next Birdievent team tournament will have a prize money and there will be participation fee per team/player. Yep, get ready to donate your money, IF you're planning to participate and not be on one of the teams w/top players.;)
    And yes, if that's the case, "A" level players and coaches (like Hock Lai, James Huang, Leo and others) would participate.;)
    Also, looking from ABC's business point of view: since the turnout for the recent team event took 2 days and ABC management graciously reserved 6 courts for us, for the next event, IF the turnout is as big if not bigger than the last one, then i'm sure ABC management would think abt getting some $$ in return for the reserved courts.

Pretty soon, if the 2nd event turns out to be really popular, we might see players from NorCal and San Diego areas flocking up/down to participate in the 3rd edition. Soon, we'll have a mini-All California Sudirman Cup style team event...........What an ingenious idea from Rudy!!;):cool:

#7 ctjcad, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  8. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Sorry for the late update results: Tough matches.

SuperBird Men Doubles Challenge Winners:

#1 Place: Mona Santoso & Larry Riwu
    #2 Place: David R. & Hendry Ranawojaya
    Score: 1 round: 21(Mona&L) vs. 18(David & H)
    2 round: 18(Mona&L) vs. 21 (David & H)
    3 round: 21(Mona & L) vs. 11 (David & H)
    Thanks for having Mona Santoso show up to play in the SuperBird Event. It's a great honor for a World Class player to Give us a Great experience & a taste of Whipping.

Cons Winners: Edward Lopez & Alex Hoang

12pairs for this event: It was a good #, thanks everyone for playing.

#1 Place: Edward Lopez & Hendry R.
    #2 Place: David R. & Ron R.
    score:
    1 round: 16 (E.L & Hendry) vs. 21 (David. & Ron)
    2 round: 21 (E.L & Hendry) vs. 16 (David & Ron)
    3 round: 28 (E.L & Hendry) vs. 26(David & Ron)

#1 Place: Kim Dinh & Krystle Galang
    #2 Place: Connie Z. & Jenny Zhao

For complete names & Pictures: www.superbirdbadminton.com
    Video & pictures will be update soon:

9. ABCmanagement

ABCmanagement Regular Member

I wish I was there to play against them. It's not a matter of $. Imagine they were willing to come and play. Their time was so precious. Plus, they could have earn much more by coaching Badminton.

It's their passion to play Badminton. SuperBird really do a good job in promoting Badminton. Sportsmanship is the most important. You may not have a chance to play against them in the future when the Grading System is implemented. It's an honor to both SuperBird and ABC to have them come to play. So our members can see what a high level Badminton should be.

Chris, will you say it's also a "LOOT" for Taufik played at the 2009 US Open? It's the same. We all wish Taufik can come next year but when I saw him played in HK and lost to his fellow Indonesian in November this year. I realized it's not easy to keep a winning streak. Sportsman Life is very short. I am willing to buy him a gourmet dinner if he or LinDan or LCW willing to play a game with me. Likewise, if you pay $10 or $20 for so many hours of competitive Badminton, why not?

I just come up with an idea. To have a world class player to play and you guys can pay to play. The proceeds will go to a Charity such as City of Hope or Doctors without Borders.

As a Badminton Enthusiast, we should cheer for the Champions/Winners and encourage the Loosers. This will bring our USA Badminton to a better level and win the World Champ someday (I wish).

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

For this..

- Yes, i know there are local coaches participating. But how many of the participants are actual coaches? 2? or at most 3?
    A question back: To prove their passion, will those top players, coaches or even "A" level players come and play if there was no prize money involved??
    So, is it really not a matter of money?..hmmm..

- I don't mind people paying or "donating" money to play against the top players or "A" level players. Maybe that's the real purpose of having this type of Superbird tourneys: to attract the top/"A" level players to play. Some would think, even if i lose the matches (or even the money), it's still worth it to get beaten by the top/"A" players. If they feel that's worth it, then that's fine & dandy & more power to them.:cool:

- Do i think it's a lot of "LOOT" for Taufik to play & win in the U.S. Open? It depends who are you asking. If you ask me, then i'd say, yes. But if you ask Taufik, probably it's not much. Again, there are other reason(s) for him to travel across the Pacific Ocean just to play in an almost no-challenge GP tourney (after his mini-tournament up in the Bay area) other than to get that winning cheque (more related to his sponsorship w/Yonex).;)

- The idea of having a chance to play against a world class player and have all the proceeds go to a charity organization (mentioned above) is not bad.

#10 ctjcad, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  11. ABCmanagement

ABCmanagement Regular Member

You might have noticed in the last 2 Sundays of ABC Birdievent Team Tournament Winter 2009. Coaches - Alex, James, Ingrid & Leo all wanted to play. They even had a demo match for no money. It showed how they like Badminton and skill. And of course all of us were so inspired.

Different level of players should be categorized in the future. That is a job of SCBA or USAB. So Players can be identified in terms of their skill level. And won't be playing like "Fried Rice". But Fried Rice could be fun for some players who want Challenging Games.

12. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    I would have definitely felt better if the money I paid were donated to charity rather than into the pockets of the professional players that won the tourney. :)

IF I wanted to pay money to get my ass whooped, then I'd rather give the money to my coach and have him whoop me. At the very least, I'll get some coaching from him afterwards. :p

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-On this..

- Yes, i remember and noticed a demo match during the ABC Birdievent. Was it played on 1 of the 6 courts? Or did they play on another court? Was it between same level players (all coaches)?

- Yes, i've seen other pros/coaches do an organized volunteer/exhibition match before (for no money); Tony G., Howard B., Grace P., Inggrid..I'm not surprised.
    However, their badminton skill and the inspiration were shown between experienced or same level players, didn't they? I mean, it wouldn't be as interesting or inspirational (to the viewers) if those coaches/"A" players played against a D or C level players, would it (the former wouldn't go full speed/all out against much lower level players)?;)

- As for having Challenging Games, sure, a much lower level player would probably welcome the challenge (as i already mentioned, if they don't mind paying & getting beaten badly, more power to them). However, how about the coaches/"A" level players? What kind of challenge would they get when playing against a much lower level player?:confused:

Anyway....a Merry Christmas 2009 to you, your family & to the ABC staff & Happy New Year 2010! More success to you guys in 2010!:)..I guess ABC will be open for half/full day on the 25th & 31st?..

#13 ctjcad, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009